What size to buy Wedding Dress?

Options
I am getting married on April 13, 2013 but in 2 weeks on July 20th I am going to go wedding dress shopping! YAY!I found out about this awesome organization - Brides Against Breast Cancer (http://bridesabc.org/) back in April this year. They travel around the country putting on bridal shows and all the money goes towards fighting stage 4 breast cancer. You have to buy a ticket to get in and I bought a few immediately (me, mom and sister MOH)!

Basically what I am saying is waiting to buy a dress is not an option because they are only here this 1 weekend this year. Plus this is close to my mom's heart because she lost her best friend at age 34 to breast cancer. She is so excited about this!

Question:
What size should I buy? What fits me right now or 1 size smaller?

Reason for Question:
I am down around 163lbs right now and have been btw 160-165 since October last year. I haven't put in the time and exercise to really get down there but have definitely done better on the eating and have maintained. My goal though is around 150lbs, possibly 145. I signed up for a 1/2 marathon Feb 17th which means I have to start training Halloween time frame and then I will have a 15K in March, 3 weeks later. I know I will be exercising, but will I lose the weight? I dropped from 165 to 160 last year when I trained for the 15K, same time frame.

THOUGHTS?

Replies

• FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    what fits you now :) you can always alter to make it smaller, but making it bigger is MUCH harder!!

so excited for you btw :)
  • chasingpavements24
    chasingpavements24 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Are you hoping/expecting to get to 160 or 150/145 by your wedding day? Considering you have 10 months to lose 5-15 lbs, I would get the smaller size. That way, you have the extra push to make sure that you lose the weight. I know that there are some dresses that are really difficult to alter, so I guess it depends on the dress too. Good luck with the 5K and congrats on your engagement!
  • YokoJ
    YokoJ Posts: 253
    Options
    Having been a bridal consultant we suggest buying your size at the moment....bc it's easy to subtract fabric but you can't add it.
  • Meehteehee
    Meehteehee Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am having the same issue. I am getting married May 2013 and am getting my dress next weekend. I am currently 168 and trying to get down to 145-150 too.... I was able to stuff myself into a size 12 and will probably get that size since it was really tight but I am hopeful I can at least slim down enough to not be as tightly bundled into the dress by next year. Feel free to add me, I could really use a new friend who is under the gun with trying to be the hottest possible for their wedding. :)

Either way, Good luck!! And I recommend getting the size you are now and they can bring it in about 2 sizes. :)
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I would go for what you are now, you can always have it taken in!! That's an amazing cause!!
  • Phoenix24601
    Phoenix24601 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    The size that you are now is your best option in my opinion. They can be taken in. If you don't then I would recommend only going down one size.
  • Alish1974
    Alish1974 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just got married in the past month. Get a size that fits you now. It can always be taken in however it is much more difficult to make it larger. There is a possibility that if you buy a dress that is too small they will just not be able alter it to look right on you. What I will say is buy a dress that flatters your figure not a dress that you think you would look marvelous in if you were 50 lbs thinner. Also, be aware that wedding dresses run SMALL. I wear a size 14/16 and most of my clothes are loose at this point. When I bought my wedding dress I had to buy a size 18 and even that had to be let out.
  • daisy2555
    daisy2555 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That s awsome news!! I'm so happso you. ike the rest I'd advise you to get te size you are now. Best of luk with everything
  • daisy2555
    daisy2555 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don´t stink in grammer. Really
  • mfp116
    mfp116 Posts: 108
    Options
    id buy what fits you now because then if you lose weight when you try on the dress a few weeks before your wedding you will not only see the loss you have (so that will make you very happy) but also its easier to alter a dress smaller to fit you than it is to make it bigger!
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the other ladies - buy your size now. I believe that you can achieve your goal, but if you got injured and couldn't train or if something else slowed down your weight loss, it could be really difficult to make a smaller dress bigger.
  • cheercoach80
    Options
    Buy what fits now, you can always take the dress in some but it's much harder to add in to the size of the dress if you don't lose any weight between now and your wedding date! Hope you find the dress of your dreams! Good luck! :smile: