Best protein powder?

Options

Replies

• Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I like Optimum Nutrition, hydrowhey and hydrobuilder. Good supply of protein, and BCAAs. Also, they mix better than any other I've had, no blender bottle necessary, and taste great.

^This! Love Optimum Nutrition - everything else tastes chalky to me.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'm all about taste. My favs are: Premier Nutrition, EAS CarbAdvantage, Optimum Nutrition and Pro Performance. First 2 you can get at Sam's Club the last two at GNC. All are very tasty, all are whey (EAS has some soy and ON has a casien formula too).

I can't make myself choke down the gross tasting ones anymore now that I have found some tasty ones. The above are like drinking milkshakes and all are low carb and all but EAS are 20+ grams of protein.
    What are these exactly, ive seen them in shops but im not sure what they are, can they be used to eat more protein and cut carbs?
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    1 :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: GNC Pro Performance 100% Whey Cookies and Cream or Banana Cream.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't suggest protein powder I'm no physical trainer or expert but you can lose the weight just by eating healthy and exercise don't waste money on something that may not even work just a tip. There are lots of foods that you can eat that have tons of protein like grilled chicken and eggs although be careful both have chlosetrol and should be consumed in moderation.

can't speak for everyone, but i'm looking to up my protein intake while keeping my cals within my budget. for me the protein is for muscle building, not weight loss.
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I like Optimum Nutrition, hydrowhey and hydrobuilder. Good supply of protein, and BCAAs. Also, they mix better than any other I've had, no blender bottle necessary, and taste great.

^This! Love Optimum Nutrition - everything else tastes chalky to me.
    Another vote for ON. Love their double rich chocolate.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    (puts on name tag with only first name) Hello, my name is Michael and I am a Gaspari Myofusion Milk Chocolate addict.
  • Jebbster007
    Jebbster007 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Ok so second question piggy-backing on original OP. I use CVS whey protein powder. It's like that drug stores generic version of protein powder. It's not too bad. I wouldn't say it's delicious but I don't have to choke it down either. It's pretty middle of the road, taste wise. I think the bag makes between 16-20 servings. BUT, it's only 14 bucks. (taste for me is pretty important too but I have to weigh [whey...lol] against cost).

Question, for all of you raving about the taste of your particular brand:

How expensive is it?

I hate to sound like a cheap skate but some of these powders are just way outside my food budget.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I buy Myofusion in 10 lb bags (I warned you about my addiction LOL!) It's about $80 shipped and about 145 servings at 1 scoop. Very inexpensive. But what you realy want to look at is the nutritional contents. eg, Grams of protien per serving, grams of carbs and fats, amino acid profile, bcaa content. Quality and nutrition are key and no amount of cost savings makes up for a lack of them.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Ok so second question piggy-backing on original OP. I use CVS whey protein powder. It's like that drug stores generic version of protein powder. It's not too bad. I wouldn't say it's delicious but I don't have to choke it down either. I think the bag makes between 16-20 servings. BUT, it's only 14 bucks. (taste for me is pretty important too but I have to weigh [whey...lol] against cost).

Question, for all of you raving about the taste of your particular brand:

How expensive is it?

I hate to sound like a cheap skate but some of these powders are just way outside my food budget.

3.5 lb of Hydrowhey is about $60 at Bodybuilding.com. Considering the quality compared to others I've had, worth every penny.

Hydrobuilder is about the same, $1.40 per serving.

Keep in mind some of your cheaper proteins have few servings because serving size might be two heaping scoops of powder.
  • Jebbster007
    Jebbster007 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I buy Myofusion in 10 lb bags (I warned you about my addiction LOL!) It's about $80 shipped and about 145 servings at 1 scoop. Very inexpensive. But what you realy want to look at is the nutritional contents. eg, Grams of protien per serving, grams of carbs and fats, amino acid profile, bcaa content. Quality and nutrition are key and no amount of cost savings makes up for a lack of them.

I totally get ya, guy....agree 100%. 24g protein, 4g carbs, 1 scoop is a serving size...not sure of the other stuff you mentioned. Quoting you AND Chris

3.5 lb of Hydrowhey is about $60 at Bodybuilding.com. Considering the quality compared to others I've had, worth every penny.

Keep in mind some of your cheaper proteins have few servings because serving size might be two heaping scoops of powder.

Excellent point, Chris.But I also have to keep in mind....you can either afford it or you can't, regardless of quality. Totally appreciate the info gentlemen, and anyone else want to chime in on the cost of their brand greatly appreciated. Maybe I can find a better tasting one I can also afford. Although, rereading what both of you just wrote, those prices aren't too bad.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I like Optimum Nutrition products.

ON is good. yummy.

you're going to get a lot of different answers here. i like ON but prefer Dymatize ISO 100 because its an ISOLATE vs concentrate (mroe pure) but more $$... if you dont care about how pure the protein is then ON

ON Gold Standard uses a whey isolate.

My preference is ON Gold Standard 100% Whey (vanilla Ice cream and double chocolate).
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Which ones would taste best added to a fruit smoothie?
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    I like MRM online, or Jillian Michaels vanilla . :) Mix pp , 1 c Silk unsweetened vanilla almond milk, and a frozen banana in chunks....Yummy..makes 2 cups...1 for me 1 for hubby. TASTES DELICIOUS...
  • damorzacon
    damorzacon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Bump
    Looking for better
    I use Body Fortress - Super Advanced Whey Protein Vanilla...don't care for the taste.

+1 for Body Fortress, but I use chocolate and it's pretty good.
  • sunrize_sc
    sunrize_sc Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I just started Isagenix. I'll post later about results.
  • xSCiNTILLATEx79
    xSCiNTILLATEx79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    bump
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

I totally get ya, guy....agree 100%. 24g protein, 4g carbs, 1 scoop is a serving size...not sure of the other stuff you mentioned. Quoting you AND Chris

Excellent point, Chris.But I also have to keep in mind....you can either afford it or you can't, regardless of quality. Totally appreciate the info gentlemen, and anyone else want to chime in on the cost of their brand greatly appreciated. Maybe I can find a better tasting one I can also afford. Although, rereading what both of you just wrote, those prices aren't too bad.

Optimum nutrition gold standard double chocolate, 5 Ibs - $52.99 at amazon. I imagine that is quite a lot of servings.

http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Double-Chocolate/dp/B000QSNYGI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341615468&sr=8-1&keywords=optimum+nutrition
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried About Time brand? I saw it in the local nutrition store (likely way overpriced) and it looked pretty decent at first blush. I found it on Amazon for about $30-35 for a 2# canister. I must admit I'm intrigued by the Birthday Cake flavor... :blushing:
  • kierstin1976
    kierstin1976 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I like Optimum Nutrition products.

ON is good. yummy.

you're going to get a lot of different answers here. i like ON but prefer Dymatize ISO 100 because its an ISOLATE vs concentrate (mroe pure) but more $$... if you dont care about how pure the protein is then ON

ON Gold Standard uses a whey isolate.

My preference is ON Gold Standard 100% Whey (vanilla Ice cream and double chocolate).

Thank you. I was about to confirm that it is ISOLATE
  • iifymlife
    iifymlife Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have taken so many proteins from GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, etc. I finished a big tub of Gold Standard Whey and didn't see any gains, so I actually went out on to a limb and tried out the Body Fortress Whey ISOLATE protein from Walmart $21.

I saw that a lot of people have just been using the normal "Super Advanced Whey Protein Vanilla $14 Has creatine" the "Isolate" is MUCH better. I have seen awesome gains in weights. The Isolate does NOT have any Creatine, which is what I was looking for, because I don't want to hold water. I take one scoop pre workout (hour before) and two scoops after my workout. I kind of tastes like protein Pina Colada. I sometimes mix it with Oatmeal, Greek Yogurt, etc. it mixes well with everything. I have no side effects and almost done with half a tub. 60g protein per 2 scoops.