Like NO motivation at all. :(

Options
I have very little motivation to get up and exercise. I'm off for the summer (no school and no job) and I basically have no where I need to go for another month and a half. Its so much easier for me to just sit on the couch and watch TV and movies. I haven't really been eating much of anything because I haven't done anything to need food energy. I just get so lazy, that when I know I need to get up and doing something active, I don't. There isn't a gym anywhere and its just too hot here in Georgia to do anything outside.

So, how can I break the lazy habit?

Replies

• toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    shut the TV off
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I did not mean that in a mean way, just if you shut that off you will find something else to do
  • ncwall
    ncwall Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    something that helped kick start me was i bought a treadmill at a yardsale and i put it in my living room and got rid of my couch

so my options were watch tv and walk or be uncomfortable on the floor

somehting my wife has to do is she needs to excercise before she turns on the tv or the computer and makes it her reward

we all have our own ways and so that is what you have to find what works for you
  • sarahg2290
    sarahg2290 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have felt the same way. I am working full-time, but when I get home I'm so exhausted that all I want to do is sit on the couch. The problem is that by being lazy you lose energy and then you sit around more and the cycle continues. I finally broke the cycle these last few weeks and started riding my bike (it hasn't been too hot here this summer) and now I have more energy when I get off work so I don't even feel the need to sit around. Once you just get that little push to break the cycle I'm sure you'll get a lot more energy and find something active you can do :)
  • MzMandi1025
    MzMandi1025 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You literally have to force yourself to do it. I know that I can't workout at home. I've tried. Once my butt hits the couch, it's done. So I joined a gym, & I was doing really well getting into a routine of going. Lately, I've had a couple of bad weeks where I just couldn't make it to the gym. Then my schedule calmed down & I was able to go but I didn't want to, so I stayed home. After 3 weeks of not going to the gym, my cardio endurance was getting really bad, my trainer was disappointed. Today, I made the decision to go, but I had a ton of errands to do. By the time it came to actually go, I didn't want to. But I forced myself to & I felt a lot better afterwards.
    To get started, you can take walks in the morning or evening. If walking is too borning, or not enough of a challenge, you can find places to hike. If you have access to a pool, swimming laps is really good. Once you get going & you establish your routine it will be easier.
  • 3ofmine
    3ofmine Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I had this problem in the beginning even though the weight was coming off I would have days where I just didn't want to do anything..It was SO HARD but after making myself get up a few days in a row I realized something...the more I moved the better I felt and the more energy I had. The more I moved the more I wanted to move and one step led to another...first things first..GET UP AND MOVE....I live in Alabama...yes it's hot and miserable but sweat is melting the weight away...
  • projektai
    projektai Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation!
    But luckily for me, my school has a gym and I have a friend to work out with who keeps me going.

I'd suggest you find a pool, and if you don't want to go by yourself (if it's a community pool) make plans with a friend to get out and go! Swimming is a great way to keep cool over the summer and work out. :3

Other than that, if you really don't want to go outside, you could try things like the Wii fit, or any video game that keeps you moving a lot really. Or work out videos, even if they are kinda old school. That's what makes them cool. <3
  • momof4ts
    momof4ts Posts: 118
    Options
    You are doing EXACTLY what i spent my last summer doing......before i knew it school was back insession and i had wasted my summer! I was so disappointed in myself! So i gained more weight..... vicious cycle that is! This summer i have worked since day 1 and feel so much better! I dont want to exercise...really i hate sweating.... but i cannot deny how i feel so muchbetter and loosing 11 pounds is just a bonus!!!:smile: heres to getting off the couch !!!!:drinker:
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    You could always exercise while you watch tv - squats, lunges, tricep dips, jogging in place, weights? I have a little instride pedal thing that I got for about $30 and I use that when I watch tv and movies.
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've recently become unemployed so I'm in a similar position. I make myself go for a walk every day for 4km or so. It takes almost an hour and makes me feel like Im doing something good. I take my dog with me and she enjoys it too.
    Have you got hobbies like crafts, books to read, posting on forums, volunteering for anything...
    Hope this helps
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i watch tv while i do my workouts. it makes it much more enjoyable. <3 netlfix!
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Finding a gym with a hot manager has helped me keep my motivation up. Never been so keen to go to the gym in all my life. Hahahaha.

Anyway my rules are I have to get in my gym clothes and go there each day. Doesn't matter if I all I do is ten minutes, or do my full workout. I just have to go. 99% of the time after 10 minutes I'm glad I'm there and keep going for the full work out.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I start thinking about my body and what I want changed. And how it's just going to stay the same if I don't get up and move or lift. It feels kind of crappy at times, using that kind of motivation... but if the positive energy flowing isn't enough to get you naturally moving... a little bit of kick in the *kitten* is sometimes necessary.
  • violetta88
    violetta88 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If you've not got a gym nearby, I'd say bring something into the house - if you can't afford a treadmill, try an exercise ball or a DVD. That way they're staring you right in the face :happy:

I would also say try to get yourself into a routine. Like, I don't know ... Get yourself up at seven, have breakfast, then work out straight away. It sucks the first couple of days, but then it'll bcome habit and everything will be much easier.

Best of luck!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Volunteer for Habitat for Humanity--you can dig ditches and tar basement walls. Best shape of my life after just a short amount of time volunteering there.

Animal shelters also love volunteers to walk the pets and help out.

I'm sure there's other volunteer opportunities. Maybe a hospital--lots of active needs there. And usually hospitals will give volunteers free access to the gym and pool if they have one.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Volunteer for Habitat for Humanity--you can dig ditches and tar basement walls. Best shape of my life after just a short amount of time volunteering there.

Animal shelters also love volunteers to walk the pets and help out.

I'm sure there's other volunteer opportunities. Maybe a hospital--lots of active needs there. And usually hospitals will give volunteers free access to the gym and pool if they have one.

These are excellent ideas! I may even look into the first two.
  • AnisaMG
    AnisaMG Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    LOVE the volunteer idea!!

My motivation was taking "Before" pictures - sure they are only a month old, but whenever I want to not work out I look at them and say "Never again". Totally works for me.

Good luck!!
  • ashtynplatt
    ashtynplatt Posts: 364
    Options
    Try working out doing things you love to do. Like for me, I love to swim, dance, walk, go on bike rides, work out videos that are fun and upbeat, and other things like that. Try that! Hopefully it works :)
  • sofaaakingcool
    Options
    do crunches and push-ups during tv commercials. anything that will keep you moving :)
  • Glowbee
    Glowbee Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Look at yourself naked in a mirror, or even better, go to a store and try putting on an outfit there and checking yourself out in -that- mirror. That -always- helps me remember why I started in the first place! Others here have already mentioned great ways of working out in the heat: ie early in the morning or in the evening, or swimming. Good luck!