First Post

Options
Hi All

I have been with my Fitness Pal before whilst I was doing the Slimming World diet which worked. Unfortunately I have been prescribed new medication which increases your appetite (and believe me it does) so I am now the heaviest I have been. I really do need to shift this weight as my knees are starting to ache and I feel embarassed picking up the kids from school. Anyway what I wanted to know is do I need to do a specific diet or can I eat anything I want as long as I do not go over my calories, fat etc. Has this worked for others still eating what you want? Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Replies

• NajahDaMuslimah
    Options
    Try eating in smaller portions. I used to be 323 lbs., and am now 180. After trying every diet over the counter and under the counter, my physician suggested that I do lots of walking, consume lots of water, get more fruit and vegetables in, cut back on my sugar intake in foods and drinks, and eat in smaller portion sizes. I did all these things, and was able to lose the weight naturallly. Please feel free to add me as a friend. I'd love to check in on you from time to time...
  • violetta88
    violetta88 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It's annoying, I know, but I think you really need to find what works for you :smile:

I personally would say that I eat whatever I like, provided I stick within my calorie/fat/etc. goals for the day. So yeah, I could have pizza for dinner, provided I had a healthy breakfast and lunch and maybe went to the gym. And so far this has worked - I lost 20lbs and got to my "healthy" weight, and now I've started over to try and get to my vanity weight!

The things I never touch are anything with white flour, soda (diet or otherwise), and processed foods (as much as possible), but that's just my personal choice.

The other thing to think about is what is your ultimate goal? Do you just want to lose weight (in which case it's all about the calorie goals), or are you looking to move to a healthier lifestyle? Because technically of course you could have two McDonalds meals a day and nothing else and still be within your target! If you want to get healthier I still wouldn't ban anything, but I would advise you to make healthy choices wherever possible.

There are loads of ways to do this, and everyone on here will have a different opinion. Some people follow diet plans, others look closely at their card/protein/etc. intake, some cut out certain foods entirely ... but if you're starting out again, I would say don't do too much too fast. Start with just monitoring your calories and see how you feel - maybe as you go down the path of fitness you might want to start making more changes!

Well, that was a ramble! Best of luck, you can do this!!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I believe in making sure you give your body a variety as best as you can.

Keep in mind, what works for one person can be different for another so definitely do your homework, if you need to - get your doctor involved if they are proactive with what you are hoping to follow, etc.

And a personal note: from time to time you may run into some nasty folks on MFP, thankfully not everyone is nasty..... dont let the mongers get to you.

Welcome to MFP!
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Does your med make you drink more as well as eat more - if so make sure you only drink water or low cal soft drinks or else that can add alot of kilos.
    Try planning the food you are going to eat each day and each week so that there are always healthy alternatives available.
    try to identify your weaknesses do you like sweet or fried food or salty food - can you find healthy alternatives.
    Good luck and keep posting how you are going
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I eat what I want but I watch portions size, etc. People say I am a picky eater, but I try to avoid processed food and we like to cook so we don't go out much, so that helps too! Feel free to add me!
  • TeAdams
    TeAdams Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi I am new kinda to Myfitnesspal and am getting ready to start my program of ChaLEAN Extreme which brought me back to MFP I have been a loyal customer of Fitbit for two years but needed a change to jump me over. I use to weigh 223 at my highest 4 years ago I now can't get below 170, I come close then go back up to 180. Yoyo dieting I have had enough of it.
    So this is where I am ate.
  • MrsScotchegg
    MrsScotchegg Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I think will cut down on calories etc then start going for the more healthier diet. I need to lose just over 3 stone (approx 45lb) to get to my ideal weight. The only reason I don't want to start a healthier diet is i feel guilty when I do eat a packet of crisps or chocolate bar so Ive decided I will still eat these but in moderation. Good Luck to all and thanks again x