Runners help please! Need equipment.

Options
Hi!

I am currently walking to work but would love to start running it (I run 4 days a week but walk to work each day). I am using a drawstring bag to carry my work clothes (suit and heels) and then change when I get to work. It works for me when I walk, but as soon as I start to run the bag bounces around plus it gets hot on my back.

Can anyone recommend a good running backpack/sack that is about medium size. I need to fit my work clothes plus food for the day. I've looked at some of the Camelbak ones however they just have enough room for the bladder....do they have bigger ones out there?

Does anyone have any experience with running with a backpack? If so, could you recommend a good one? I can afford a decently priced one but I would like to keep it under $100.

Thanks!

Replies

• timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I've never found anything comfortable to carry stuff in while running, even if stuff doesn't bounce it gets overly hot, especially if it is water tight to keep sweat out. I would be inclined to have clothes at the office waiting for you rather than trying to carry them.
  • vespertinestar
    Options
    I've found any backpack with reasonably padded straps and a mesh back to be more than adequate :)
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Thanks...I wasn't sure if I could use just any backpack. I wish they would let me try before I buy lol...but ebay doesn't allow for that :P

I thought about keeping work clothes at work....but since I walk to work everyday, I would still have to carry clothes...I can't wear the same suit each day. I've kept my shoes at work and that has helped some...but I still will need a backpack, I think. Thanks for the advice!
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    two things
    To stop it bouncing about you need a daysack with waist and chest straps, and a meshback will help with the over heating. google 'runners daysack 20l' or Deuter Speed Lite Sport Backpack 20L
    Great for running or on the bike, downside is it doesn't have a bladder pocket.
    Second thing
    If you can, take all the stuff you need at work,on days where you are not running. that way your work clothes dont end up looking like you've slept in them.
    Running to work helps you wake up and puts you at the top of you game, when others are at their lowest ebb. However if you run to work you have to take care of yourself in the evenings as it makes for a long day. So until you are used to it, I'd say run one way, run in the morning and walk home, then walk to work and run home. Give your body as much rest from running as you can until you are able to run both ways
  • vespertinestar
    Options
    Good advice Tadpole, the extra straps sure do help, as will wearing it higher up and not sitting right down on your lower back. Perhaps look into a light hiking backpack as they normally have etxra straps too.
  • kmcgaw
    kmcgaw Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I would go with running to work a few days/week, and on the days you walk, take an extra outfit for the next day. I can't stand even running with a hydration belt. Somedays my ipod is even a nuisance. The camelbaks fit the closest to the body, but like you said, they don't hold much. Maybe just pack clean undergarments in there with your lunch and have the rest at work? Good luck.
  • MtnKat
    Options
    Thank you! Very good advice about the extra straps and running/walking alternating days. I could take an extra outfit on walking days for when I do run.

Dueters looks really good - thanks for that! They even have some lightweight running packs and show air flow technology that will help with the heat.
  • threechins
    threechins Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    One other thing that no-one has mentioned is that it's useful to have a bag that changes your centre of gravity as little as possible so it has less impact on your normal running gait. The problem with a bouncing bag is not so much it's bouncing (it's impossible to stop that when you think about the movement involved in running) but that the movement of the bounce is trying to counter your movement.

As well as looking for a bag with straps that keep it close to you, it's also worth looking for one with straps that compress the contents (assuming you have clothing/towel/etc) making it denser and, therefore, easier to keep the weight central. I use a Salomon XA20, which I've found good for running, but possibly a little small although that has the advantage of forcing me to plan ahead and travel light.
  • MtnKat
    Options
    Thanks! The Salomon looks great - especially since the one I found is for women. And it's a good price, too! Speaking of compression on your items, I came across this:

www.latlock.com

Very interesting, though I think it's pretty well designed for men....as I cannot imagine having to strap the top and bottom of my boobs like that.
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I was going to say that the Salomon packs are awesome. I use one for ultra running and it is more than big enough to carry a change of clothes, etc.

Another one to look at is the Nathan Synergy. It comes with a bladder but of course you can take it out. I have both a Salomon and a couple of Nathan packs and they are all great for running because they are designed for running.
  • threechins
    threechins Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks! The Salomon looks great - especially since the one I found is for women. And it's a good price, too! Speaking of compression on your items, I came across this:

www.latlock.com

Very interesting, though I think it's pretty well designed for men....as I cannot imagine having to strap the top and bottom of my boobs like that.

I obviously cannot comment on that aspect of running with a bag!