Help needed - How to measure body fat?

Options
I have Accu-Measure calipers but not sure I'm measuring correctly.
The results I'm getting don't seem right (too low).

Does anyone know a good site / method for females?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Calipers will only be accurate when someone trained in using them measures you. It is near imposible to het a food reading measuring yourself. And even then not 100%. The more sites on your body you measure the more axcurate, min 3 site reading preferablu 5.
  • kathrynyoung71
    Options
    the scales at my gym measure body fat % so you could look out for some, they have hadles at the side to grip to measure your body fat
  • Selma10001984
    Selma10001984 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I recommend this site.

http://www.calculator.net/body-type-calculator.html?bustsize=90&bustsizeunit=centimeter&waistsize=70&waistsizeunit=centimeter&hipsize=90&hipsizeunit=centimeter&x=103&y=11

I would argue that it's pretty accurate. In comparison to the scale at my local gym there's only a 0.2% difference.
  • violetta88
    violetta88 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My scales do it for me - most accurate method I've found, and they weren't too expensive either!
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I recommend this site.

http://www.calculator.net/body-type-calculator.html?bustsize=90&bustsizeunit=centimeter&waistsize=70&waistsizeunit=centimeter&hipsize=90&hipsizeunit=centimeter&x=103&y=11

I would argue that it's pretty accurate. In comparison to the scale at my local gym there's only a 0.2% difference.

hmmm 18.3% ? I dunno. wish it involved caliper measurement . My caliper one measurement (Around the navel) is 24.5 %.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

If it's a one off measurement you are looking for to put your mind at rest then you could try a Bodpod. It costs about £30 - £50 depending on where you go in England (not sure about Scotland though.) A number of Universities / hospitals have them (if you go to a private company it will cost a lot more.)

You get a pretty groovy report at the end tell you your fat mass / fat free mass.
  • 000WhiteRose000
    Options

If it's a one off measurement you are looking for to put your mind at rest then you could try a Bodpod. It costs about £30 - £50 depending on where you go in England (not sure about Scotland though.) A number of Universities / hospitals have them (if you go to a private company it will cost a lot more.)

You get a pretty groovy report at the end tell you your fat mass / fat free mass.

This would be very interesting, but I'm looking to measure every week.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I use simple body measurements - here for free:
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

This method give you good, consistent results you can use tracking progress.
    Good Luck!
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    Get yourself a skin calliper. You dont need to be a rocket scientist to use one! Just make sure your grabbing with thumb and forefinger as much skin/fat/muscle (it should hurt a little) then put the calliper about an 1 cm from here. Plug your measurements into this calculator: http://scoobysworkshop.com/body-fat-calculator/
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I use simple body measurements - here for free:
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

This method give you good, consistent results you can use tracking progress.
    Good Luck!

This is spot on for me :)
  • 000WhiteRose000
    Options
    Get yourself a skin calliper. You dont need to be a rocket scientist to use one! Just make sure your grabbing with thumb and forefinger as much skin/fat/muscle (it should hurt a little) then put the calliper about an 1 cm from here. Plug your measurements into this calculator: http://scoobysworkshop.com/body-fat-calculator/

Hmmm I said I have a calliper?
  • 000WhiteRose000
    Options

AND this site is only for males, already checked it.
  • kbairdphillips
    kbairdphillips Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I use the military body fat calculator.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/
  • Lynn_SD
    Lynn_SD Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Buy a scale that measures bodyfat %! They are not too expensive, you can get one that also measures %water, muscle (lean body weight) in pounds and bone mass. I bought mine a few years ago, the Tanita "Ironman" Inner Scan Body Composition Monitor.
  • journeytoroth
    journeytoroth Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have a look at these pics and you should be able to tell if you are in the right ball park.

http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages
  • Toyya
    Toyya Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you want to just track differences/improvements, but don't really care about HOW much you really are you can just buy a tanita scale. They aren't super accurate but it can help you figure out if you've dropped or not. If you want a better result and are ok with paying a bit, I recommend doing a bod pod. Its the least invasive of the accurate tests, and from what I hear aren't too expensive.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I use AccuMeasure calipers. First thing, get somebody to help you do it the first time or two -- or use a mirror (so you don't have to look down. Second you should be measuring one inch above the hip bone (about where your lower abdomen would begin to fold over if you sat down). Pinch the skin, fat away from your body as much as possible (should be discomfort), place calipers around the pinched flesh until you hear the click.

My husband and I measure each other -- we're accurate using that method (as he gets his body fat measured annually for insurance). Take a lot of practice.
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    calipers can be wildly inaccurate depending on the method (number of sites), if the tester uses the correct protocol for each test site, and is consistent in technique. commonly used numbers for calipers (caveat is with a trained tester and a good caliper, versus one of the cheapo $2 from gnc). I will also note that its easier to test and far more accurate for thinner subjects, you will note that the its very difficult or impossible to test an obese person with calipers.

Another method you may want to try is the circumference tests (look for the "army" test) that uses a formula to input a few key measurements for men or women, and will give you an estimate. all tests performed with a simple measuring tape.

Many still consider water testing (aka hydrostatic) to be the gold standard, and it does still have a high accuracy with the caveat that it is not suitable for people that are water phobic, or claustrophobic One of the common causes for error is if the subject has not completely emptied their lungs, creating additional buoyancy.

I feel the most accurate, and one of the easiest to use is the DEXA (also called DXA) body scanner. availability might be one of the biggest challenges, but I was able to find one in a relatively small town (I live in Little Rock, Arkansas). the cost was also attractive, at $50 for the first test and $25 for additional tests. I will note that the facility i use (hospital lab) will only allow you to get a test every 6 months.

the hand held or other bio-impedance tests are ok, as a ball park measurement but pretty inaccurate as far as the actual number. I used a pretty high end bio-impedance scale at a corporate exercise facility, at the company that manufactures that scale and a ton of other medical imaging equipment, a DEXA scan, and a $30 hand held bio-impedance tester within a few days of each other. the fancy bio-impedance tester was 5% off of the DEXA result and the cheap tester was 10% off.

what works for me is to identify an available "gold standard" test, that will probably have to pay for. could be DEXA, or hydrostatic (only ones i would call gold standards). try to take another test as close to your gold test as possible (calipers or home quality bio-impedance tester). you can do the home quality test weekly/monthly and have the gold standard test backing it up ever X number of months. Over time you should see patterns and get a better understanding of how much the home test varies from the more accurate test methods.

just my 2 cents.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I recommend this site.

hmmm 18.3% ? I dunno. wish it involved caliper measurement . My caliper one measurement (Around the navel) is 24.5 %.

This site was very innacurate for me. I had in Inbody test at the gym and I have 27% body fat but this site says I have 37%!

I am not sure if they do Inbody tests where you are but this was a very good test for me x