would you date someone significantly shorter than you?

Options

Replies

• Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Height on a woman does not bother me.
    They are usually shorter anyway.
    For you tho.....

Just don't take him to Chuck E Cheese......:flowerforyou:
  • chelley_79
    chelley_79 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I married him!! I'm 5' 10"... he's 5' 5"... I don't even notice it anymore. As long as he makes you happy... who cares?
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I'd say give him a shot. I know it feels shallow to even think of that, but a major part of a relationship is physical/sexual attraction. Honestly I couldn't be in a relationship with someone with whom I got along great but towards whom I had little to no sexual attraction. It's not shallow to think that sex is not important in a relationship. Physical/sexual attraction can definitely increase or decrease the more you get to know a person, so as you start to see him in a more romantic light, so to speak, you may end up finding him hot as hell regardless of the height thing, or you might find that you just can't get past it, in which case you need to move on.

To his credit, if he's brave enough to ask out such a tall lady, my guess is that he has very few qualms about his height. I once dated a guy who is the same height as I am, and he was sooooo insecure about it, to the point where if I even looked at a taller man in the most innocent way (e.g., looking at a waiter while I was ordering food), he would insist that I was checking him out. He even accused me of checking out his brother when he was getting ready to take a girl out and asked me if his outfit looked ok. Clearly he had no idea that I am an extremely loyal person, and, as you can imagine, that relationship soured quickly!

If it matters, I'm 5'7", and my husband is 5'9", maybe 5'10". In heels, I am often as tall as or taller than he is. It's never been an issue. I did date a guy (actually, right before I started dating my now-husband) who was 6'4" and made me feel oh-so-tiny when he had his arms around me, but we just didn't have the right chemistry to make it last more than a couple of months. I have so much more with my husband, and there are a million things I find sexy about him.
  • k900
    k900 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8 and i have dated guys about the same height as me but not shorter. It's nothing against them i just feel really insecure when i am allot taller than a guy. I almost feel like i need to shrink.

If you really like the guy though it won't matter. I have just never really clicked with someone who was allot shorter than me.
  • ProjectTae
    ProjectTae Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Height on a woman does not bother me.
    They are usually shorter anyway.
    For you tho.....

Just don't take him to Chuck E Cheese......:flowerforyou:
    :laugh:
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend is only two inches taller than me. i used to have an unwritten rule that a guy be at least 5'10". blah. i was missing out! but shorter than 5'7" is where i kind of draw the line--i hung out with a guy who was 5'6". i guess the problem wasn't the height; just his personality.
  • k1mberlyr
    k1mberlyr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You sound a lot like me. I've always been a little insecure about my height and even standing next to a short man makes me feel gigantic and unfeminine . Really, it's not about him at all it's my own insecurities. You shouldn't feel bad about how you feel and if you know you won't have any chemistry then don't go out with him. You don't have to offer any explanation other than, "you're my friend and that's all I see in you".
  • PsiChi
    PsiChi Posts: 157
    Options
    I personally like shorter women...I mean its easy when I'm 6' 3" lol but I havent dated a woman over 5' 5"..the shortest I've dated was 5' 0" haha
  • tonicandgin
    tonicandgin Posts: 175
    Options
    I'm 5ft 10 and have dated several shorter men... Dont let height be a deciding factor, you could be missing out on a very special person...
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't only because I'm already pretty short.
  • Meadows18
    Meadows18 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    If your only hesitation is about his height - then you should go. You might be missing out on having a great time with a lovely guy for no good reason.

In fact, why not go anyway. Treat it as a fun night out, not as a "make or break, is he Mr Perfect?" event.

You'll either enjoy his company or you won't, but unless you go, you'll never know.

I agree with these statements completely. Height should not make a difference if you like the person. Personality is what does it for me.
  • heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    No..only because I am 5'2" and if he's shorter than mr..it's probably illegal ;)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I've never cared much about the height thing. 3 of my long term relationships were with men shorter than me. I generally don't care *as long as they don't*. My only caution would be to explore how real their 'I don't care about being shorter' position really is. 2 of the 3 men I've been seriously involved with genuinely didn't care, and I wore my heels and towered with happy abandon. The other one started to get really mean about it. And ultimately, it became clear he had a bit of a Napoleon complex. Make sure you're not getting that type, and you'll be absolutely fine. Short or tall, what you want is a person who is comfortable in his / her own skin.
  • beach_please
    beach_please Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't. But I'm only 5'4" so he'd have to be pretty damn short. I think if I were taller than the average woman, I'd be more okay with it.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I am taller than most women. That helps my dating prospects.

With that said, I'm less likely to go for taller women. Women have the expectation for the man to be taller. So I am more likely to be wasting my time with women the same height or taller, since they would want someone taller than I am.
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'2". My wife is 4'10". I think that answers the question. :laugh:
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    A guy that has been crushing on me for three years has finally mustered up the courage to ask me out, the only thing is he's not really my type and is significantly shorter than me. I'm 5'9 and he's about 5'4-5'6. He's really nice but I don't know if I can get over the height difference, and I feel pretty bad about it. I'm not generally picky, my only requirement is height but I have this rule that if I'm single I never turn down a date and I've been pretty good with it, (yet I've never been asked out by someone that short before) So what would you do if you were me? And if you were going to how would you 'let that person down gently'?

if he's not your 'type' then whats his height got to do with it?
  • jyuubi
    jyuubi Posts: 109
    Options
    Others will probably tell you to go because height isn't a big deal, but for me height is a big deal too. A lot of girls care, a lot of girls don't. Everyone has preferences. While people try to convince you "personality is everything", it's not true. Who ever heard of dating someone you're not attracted to? That's ridiculous. If you don't want to go out with him, you already know what to do. And you just tell him you're sorry, but not interested. It always sucks to hurt someone's feelings, but it's better to tell them the honest truth instead of leading them on.
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I genuinely don't care if a woman is taller than me, (they have long legs, what's not to like?), but I do care if they have a thing about shorter men. It makes them superficial in my opinion. (I'm 5'10" so below average height).
  • tbodega
    tbodega Posts: 186
    Options
    I've dated both shorter and taller than myself. At 5'7 I fall in the average height zone and there is still plenty of choice out there. We all have our preferences but I think that judging on fake height (heels) is a bit silly. You've named 2 things about him that seem fairly insignificant for a date. If you're thinking about it enough to post, that may be because you find some attraction in him. However, if you are going out with him out of pure guilt or just for a free meal, best to just leave it alone.

There are certainly worse things than pokemon out there and I'm sure that everything that you love isn't universally liked. Is he an alcoholic, drug user, thief, or swindler? An irresponsible person with mountains of debt? Is he attractive to you in any other way? Is it him or perhaps are you insecure about others judging you while being out with a shorter guy?