Squats and Lunges

Options
vim_n_vigor
vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
I used to be pretty good at these, well, you know, before I gained 100 pounds! I won't try to convince anyone that I am in great shape, but I have built up a fair amount of strength and endurance over the past year. I have been trying squats and lunges again, but I am struggling. I thought it was because I was doing it after some cardio, that wasn't it, I thought I was using too much weight, that wasn't it. I am having issues even with no weights.

Squats - I just don't have the flexibility to get down very far at all any more. I have tried stretching with no results. I also feel very wobbly.

Lunges - I just can't get my balance. I keep tipping to the side making it impossible to do them.

Any suggestions?

*ETA - I can't get to the gym. I have no membership. I am doing everything at home.

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    Options
    bump
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Squats are about knee and foot placement.
    Feet should be at about 10 and 2 on the clock.
    Back straight.
    *kitten* out.
  • damorzacon
    damorzacon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Squats are about knee and foot placement.
    Feet should be at about 10 and 2 on the clock.
    Back straight.
    *kitten* out.

This. And you may also want to try a wider stance if you feel wobbly.
  • vim_n_vigor
    Options
    Is it better to skip the weight until I don't feel wobbly anymore?
  • damorzacon
    damorzacon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with starting out with body weight squats until you feel comfortable with the form. Once you're comfortable add a little weight and see how that goes.

Better to go slow than cause an injury because of ego.

And as far as lunges go, I would expect that if you keep doing them you'll strengthen the supporting muscles and gain balance. Squats may help with this as well.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Also look into deadlifts and good mornings
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I definitely would stick with just bodyweight until you perfect the form and gain balance. Then move onto adding weight.
  • uglyhobo
    uglyhobo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Is it better to skip the weight until I don't feel wobbly anymore?

Nothing wrong with that. You don't want to hurt yourself. I actually do a full set with just the bar to warm up when I go to the gym. I use that set to recheck foot placement, stance, knee over foot alignment. Get the motions down good before you start adding weight because an injury will set you back for a long time.

If you do high reps with no weight you'll still feel sore. Squats, push ups, chin ups, and pull ups are great exercises you can do using your body weight as resistance. Of course when it starts getting easy (You can do 10 in a row easily) and you can do it with proper form start adding some weight.

Keep up the good work.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    And as far as lunges go, I would expect that if you keep doing them you'll strengthen the supporting muscles and gain balance. Squats may help with this as well.

^^ This. When I started doing lunges I was all over the place. It got easier to balance. Still start to wobble a bit everytime I increase the weights upwards
  • vim_n_vigor
    Options
    Thanks for all the input! I think it will be a while before I am doing chin ups and pull ups again! I don't think my arms will be able to pull up my current body weight. But, maybe I should try when I have the kids at the playground!
  • JewelsDeLuz
    Options
    So awesome to see good advice about squat form and links! I agree w/this post AND think that body weight squats should be fine until you have more strength and flexibility. Study the squat form for the crossfit link and check out Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength site (you can google it) there should be good videos on squat form - might be same as on crossfit link because I know he did workshops with them. If you have a workout partner or someone else in the household willing to help, you might have them study the form as well and let you know what looks right and what you have to work on.

My spouse and I learned squats from reading Starting Strength, watching videos, and critiquing each other's form. When we went to an above mentioned workshop several years ago, he didn't have to much to critique on our form. :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What are you stretching? People tend to stretch their quads to help with squatting but squat depth is all about your hamstrings. Many people that are new to squatting can't get much depth because years of sitting in chairs has tightened their hammys up so much. So let's start touching our toes and work on that!

On the lunges, your lack of core strength is probably what's causing the tipping. No biggie. Just keep doing them and it will will take care of itself. You can start doing some planks, side planks, side plank reaches, and hollow rocks to aid the process.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input! I think it will be a while before I am doing chin ups and pull ups again! I don't think my arms will be able to pull up my current body weight.

Yep, I had to lose weight to get good at them again too. Gravity is a pain in the @ss isn't it. LOL. One thing at a time. Keep working at it and you'll get there if you want it bad enough. Those are not easy beginner exercises so don't feel bad. I bet half the guys in the gym couldn't do them.
  • vim_n_vigor
    Options
    What are you stretching? People tend to stretch their quads to help with squatting but squat depth is all about your hamstrings. Many people that are new to squatting can't get much depth because years of sitting in chairs has tightened their hammys up so much. So let's start touching our toes and work on that!

On the lunges, your lack of core strength is probably what's causing the tipping. No biggie. Just keep doing them and it will will take care of itself. You can start doing some planks, side planks, side plank reaches, and hollow rocks to aid the process.

That makes a lot sense. I am doing full body stretches - it isn't just flexibility for squats that I need. My core is getting stronger, but I did have 2 c-sections and an abdominal surgery.
  • vim_n_vigor
    Options
    Thanks for all the input! I think it will be a while before I am doing chin ups and pull ups again! I don't think my arms will be able to pull up my current body weight.

Yep, I had to lose weight to get good at them again too. Gravity is a pain in the @ss isn't it. LOL. One thing at a time. Keep working at it and you'll get there if you want it bad enough. Those are not easy beginner exercises so don't feel bad. I bet half the guys in the gym couldn't do them.
    Yeah, but there used to be a time when I would bet those guys in the gym that this little girl could outlift them and 9 out of 10 times I could. It makes me sad to see how much I have lost over the years!
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af2EdvX4pug&feature=youtube_gdata_player

These helped me out a lot for squats. I still use them for warmups sometimes.

As far as lunges, just keep doing them. You can use a chair for light support by resting a couple of fingers on it until you don't need it anymore.

Just wanted to add that overhead presses have done more for my core than any other ab exercise. They'll help with the core stability issue you're having with your lunges.
  • NancyNiles
    NancyNiles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Re: the squats.... I would do body-weight squats until the cows come home. I can squat more, but I weigh enough that my body weight is MORE than sufficient to give me a good strength AND cardio workout (my heart rate gets up higher with BW squats than anything I do with dumbbells.

I echo the guy who commented before. When I was standing with my feet shoulder width apart and facing forward, I struggled with squats. Then I got a trainer who kicked my feet out so they were past my shoulders (a little, not like doing the splits!) and my feet were facing at an angle like this \....../ It's the natural way our feet go. Feel free to lean your upper body forward for stability, so long as your back is straight and your weight is on your heels.

Re: Lunges ... there is no reason you have to walk a tight rope with your feet doing lunges. Take your step wide if it feels more comfortable. They will get better with time. I still suck and avoid them at all costs, but if you like them then just keep it up. If you don't like them, there are a million other exercises that will work the same part of your body, so find something you enjoy.

FYI, my advice is not expert (although it does come from my personal trainer), its experience... recent experience. I'm currently down 30 of my 100+ lbs overweight, so I know exactly how and what you are feeling.

I wish you the best of luck!!