• JesiDM
    JesiDM Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I take:
    Folic Acid
    Biotin
    Zinc and
    Flaxseed oil
    I don't really take them for weight loss. Just for other benefits I get from each!
  • dfair1967
    dfair1967 Posts: 91
    Options
    I just take a multi vitamin.
  • ColleenAtherton
    ColleenAtherton Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I just take a multi vitamin.

Ditto
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I take a multi, Vit D3, Vit C, Glutamine and Cod Liver Oil. I probably don't need the C, but I had a big bottle and am using them up. I also have a protein shake daily, either one of my meal replacement shakes (Met-RX) or a regular protein shake (Pure Protein Vanilla) and whole wheat toast with some PB2 or an egg after my workout if it's a weight training day, lunch if it isn't. Lunch usually because a shake is quick & convenient and beats subway or some other poor choice while out & about.

I have to say, on days that I don't take my supplements, I don't feel as good. The biggest indicator of that is that I get wicked debilitating cramps every, oh, 28 days. The kind that keep you awake in the fetal position all night. This month (the first month of regularly taking my supplements) I had just the slightest twinge. After a little research, I think I can attribute that positive effect to the Cod Liver Oil. So that one alone is totally worth it to me. Even if it does produce a couple of nasty fishy burps a couple of hours later. Blech.

I was looking at Greens supplements at Trader Joe's a few weeks ago and keep meaning to read up on it. I don't get enough vegetables in my diet, try as I might. I wondered if something like that might help. Summer is easier for veggies for me, but I am not a fan of eating salad, nor do I feel like making them to go with dinner every night.
  • djapostol2012
    Options
    I take BSN Syntha-6 Meal Replacement, Oxy-Elite Pro Thermogenic Supplement, and Vitamin Code Raw For Men.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Chris,

I am really digging your posts and I'm going to add you as a friend ! You are a font of knowledge!
    My doctor told me to try to keep my vitamin D supplementation to 2000 IU per day or so. In my Diet and Nutrition textbook, it does mention that 2000 IU is the upper limit for toxicity. Can you give me a link for your study because I would like to show it to my doctor. She did allow me to go a little over if I wanted to take a Calcium plus D on occasion, which only need to do every now and then.

Ruth

Vitamin D is one of the only ones I would recommend you still take as it is simply involved in so much and most people are deficient. Contrary to what people say there isn't really a toxicity level either unless you are taking hundreds of thousands of IUs day after day, month upon month.

I'd say a 5000iu Vitamin D capsule a day is ideal along with a multi just to be sure, but generally you can and should be getting most of your nutrition from food.

Also, never cleanse, please.
  • jasonthekidd
    Options
    Yup.

-Men's One A Day 1
    -Boost Complete Nutrition 8oz a day
    - Omega 3 pill 2x a day
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Chris,

I am really digging your posts and I'm going to add you as a friend ! You are a font of knowledge!
    My doctor told me to try to keep my vitamin D supplementation to 2000 IU per day or so. In my Diet and Nutrition textbook, it does mention that 2000 IU is the upper limit for toxicity. Can you give me a link for your study because I would like to show it to my doctor. She did allow me to go a little over if I wanted to take a Calcium plus D on occasion, which only need to do every now and then.

Here ya go:

http://www.cmaj.ca/content/166/12/1541.full

Now, if you are taking a supplement with calcium and vitamin d; make sure it is composed of cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3), and always with some fat cot containing food. Ergocalciferol is a common substitute, most commonly known as Vitamin D2 not actually found or synthesized in any form by the body. I believe they make it from mushrooms.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    My doctor originally prescribed me vitamin D tablets that you take once a week -- 50,000 IU. Whew, potent enough? :) I was on the side of the vampires though, I guess. It did the trick.
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    I take a walmart brand mens multivitamin and kirkland brand fish oil.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I add Cayenne pepper to almost everything.. all it is, is vitamin a, you can get it in a multivitamin..and I would rather have a cup of green tea instead of taking a pill..

I take a regular multivitamin with iron. They are pretty important if you aren't eating as many calories.
  • chris1816
    Options
    My doctor originally prescribed me vitamin D tablets that you take once a week -- 50,000 IU. Whew, potent enough? :) I was on the side of the vampires though, I guess. It did the trick.

But like omg! Toxicity something something!
  • historygirldd
    historygirldd Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    multi vitamin and Calcium and D each day and if I feel like I am getting sick or a lot of my students are sick, some vitamin C and maybe a zinc.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options

But like omg! Toxicity something something!

Hahaha. And if I remember correctly, I was only allowed to take them for 6 weeks. :) So whether it's 2,000 IU a day or 5,000 IU, better than nothing if you're a house hermit like me. I typically follow the dosing on pill bottles, and those labels never risk telling you to take anything near the toxicity or overdose level.
  • angiecakes82
    angiecakes82 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    just a womens multi-vitamin, folic acid, and C if i feel like i am getting sick.

just a warning to those ladies who take green tea tablets/ drink green tea....green tea is proven to block your body's abiltity to absorb folic acid, which can cause NTD's (neural tube defects) so if there is ANY shot in hell of you getting pregnant, you should NOT be taking/ drinking green tea.

ok that is my PSA for the day.
  • BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    Options
    I take Multivitamin, Prima Force CLA 1,000miligrams, NO EXPLODE, Syntha 6, Fat Burner(Wont say what kind), Amino X
  • chris1816
    Options
    I take Multivitamin, Prima Force CLA 1,000miligrams, NO EXPLODE, Syntha 6, Fat Burner(Wont say what kind), Amino X

Toss up between an EC Stack (works), Yohimbine (not if there is any insulin in your system weeeeeee), or DNP (don't die, my little snowflake).
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Eat clean and exercise....I take vitamins because I noticed after being on here a couple months that i was lacking in that department. I also have some whey protein because I never get enough of that either.
    Trying temporary fads are a waste of money and time and can be pretty harmful for your body.

That being said I've tried a lot of things, they mostly work and then when you stop taking them the weight comes back, I've really found that eating clean and exercising and supplementing things you're lacking is what works best. (for me anyway) and the weight stays off. If you're taking a pill that supplements everything and you're only lacking a few areas, there is a such thing as too much of a good thing.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Multivitamin, fish oil and whey protein. I'm not much of a believer in snake oils.

[EDIT] Oh, and props to Chris1816 for cutting through the broscience and giving straight scoop.
  • Krakenzmama
    Options
    For my nervous system I take fish oil as recommended by my dr
    I also started taking potassium since its good for nerves and heart function (family history) .
    Same with CoQ10: my family has high cholesterol and heart disease plus my dad may or may not have Parkinson's (he won't say if he has it or not, just that he takes meds that they prescribe for the people who have it) my mom has Macular degeneration ...

I am not expecting wonder drugs but it couldn't hurt given my family history

I also take a women's multi-vitamin to balance out any deficiencies I neglected over the years. :embarassed: I feel much better now that I am taking better care of myself but I also take vitamins for now until my diet truly reflects what I need. I realize that if the diet is truly balanced then we wouldn't need this stuff but since I won't go cold turkey and risk a backslide into crap, I am going to bridge the gaps I have with supplements.