My journey (with pics!) and why I don’t believe in “after”

Options
McLifterPants
McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
2007picture.jpg

This is me in 2007 (2nd from the right). I thought I was an after. I’d lost 35 lbs on Weight Watchers. I wore a size 4, and was 5’7”, 130 lbs.

Before.jpg

This is me in May of 2011, at over 160 lbs. I’ll never be sure how heavy I got, because I refused to get on a scale. I was wearing a size 10. When I started tracking in January, after trying to work out and diet for a few months, my “starting weight” was 161.6.

IMG_0394.jpg
IMG_0393.jpg

This is me now, at 146.6 lbs.

photo.jpg

This is me now, in the same shirt I was wearing in 2007. At 146.6 lbs, I have the same measurements I did at 130; although I thought I would never fit into my clothes from then again, I’ve made it back to a size 4 (just with more muscles!).

The past 6 months have been a crazy journey for me, from 1200 calories and too much cardio to 1500 calories, eating back exercise calories, and lifting weights 3-4 times a week. I’ve learned so much, I can’t even sum it all up. I’ve learned the importance of getting enough food, but the right foods. More protein, less simple carbs. I’ve learned how to do things sustainably, eating enough to never be hungry, never feeling deprived of the foods I love but not going overboard either. I’ve learned that weight lifting does not turn a girl into she-hulk, and it makes your feel awesome and powerful. That the number on the scale is a guideline, but not a goal, and that other measurements matter more (13 inches lost between bust, waist and hips!) But the most important thing I’ve learned is this: I will never be an after.

I don’t say this because I’m not happy with the results I’ve gotten. I’ll be honest, I’m thrilled. But that doesn’t mean I’m stopping. Because somewhere along the line, my goals shifted, and I realized, I don’t just want to be thin. I want to be fit. I want to be healthy. I don't just want small measurements, I want less body fat, stronger muscles, more energy. And that is something that I’m going to have to work on, every day, for the rest of my life.

I actually look forward to it.

Replies

• rose2383
    rose2383 Posts: 3
    Options
    you look great your an inspiration keep it up:smile:
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612
    Options
    Fantastic! Great results and even better outlook. I think this is "it" in a nutshell. This is the ultimate goal. You are an inspiration!
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    YOU LOOK GREAT!! I was glad to see your post since I was 142 when I started but after taking some photos in a bikini I saw how horribly out of shape I am. Yes I have some fat to lose but weight wise, I don't know for sure how far down I need to go but I definitely need to shape up.

Thanks for posting, what a cutie:) denise:)

2007picture.jpg

This is me in 2007 (2nd from the right). I thought I was an after. I’d lost 35 lbs on Weight Watchers. I wore a size 4, and was 5’7”, 130 lbs.

Before.jpg

This is me in May of 2011, at over 160 lbs. I’ll never be sure how heavy I got, because I refused to get on a scale. I was wearing a size 10. When I started tracking in January, after trying to work out and diet for a few months, my “starting weight” was 161.6.

IMG_0394.jpg
    IMG_0393.jpg

This is me now, at 146.6 lbs.

photo.jpg

This is me now, in the same shirt I was wearing in 2007. At 146.6 lbs, I have the same measurements I did at 130; although I thought I would never fit into my clothes from then again, I’ve made it back to a size 4 (just with more muscles!).

The past 6 months have been a crazy journey for me, from 1200 calories and too much cardio to 1500 calories, eating back exercise calories, and lifting weights 3-4 times a week. I’ve learned so much, I can’t even sum it all up. I’ve learned the importance of getting enough food, but the right foods. More protein, less simple carbs. I’ve learned how to do things sustainably, eating enough to never be hungry, never feeling deprived of the foods I love but not going overboard either. I’ve learned that weight lifting does not turn a girl into she-hulk, and it makes your feel awesome and powerful. That the number on the scale is a guideline, but not a goal, and that other measurements matter more (13 inches lost between bust, waist and hips!) But the most important thing I’ve learned is this: I will never be an after.

I don’t say this because I’m not happy with the results I’ve gotten. I’ll be honest, I’m thrilled. But that doesn’t mean I’m stopping. Because somewhere along the line, my goals shifted, and I realized, I don’t just want to be thin. I want to be fit. I want to be healthy. I don't just want small measurements, I want less body fat, stronger muscles, more energy. And that is something that I’m going to have to work on, every day, for the rest of my life.

I actually look forward to it.
  • lucylou9701
    lucylou9701 Posts: 194
    Options
    You look gorgeous and I am so glad that you don't believe in an after also. I am the same way. I love the results I have gotten but "after" is such a final term, like I am not going to continue to see my body get stronger and leaner. I want to keep training, working out and eating healthy. I love to see the strength that my new body has and working out has literally become an addiction for me. I love it so much. I have the rest of my life to see where my body takes me so why call it an after now?
  • snaxandpop
    snaxandpop Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You look great and WOW look at that smile. I can't wait to get there!
  • McLifterPants
    Options
    You look gorgeous and I am so glad that you don't believe in an after also. I am the same way. I love the results I have gotten but "after" is such a final term, like I am not going to continue to see my body get stronger and leaner. I want to keep training, working out and eating healthy. I love to see the strength that my new body has and working out has literally become an addiction for me. I love it so much. I have the rest of my life to see where my body takes me so why call it an after now?

Right?? I feel like so many people reach an arbitrary "goal" and then forget everything they learned in the process... I know I did, and then I had to start over from square one. I am a work in progress and always will be, but that's kind of the fun of it :)
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    You look great! For you and others doing weights (which I'm trying to also) what kind of weight routines do you have? I go in, try to lift and do all that, but then don't know if I'm doing enough.
  • McLifterPants
    Options
    You look great! For you and others doing weights (which I'm trying to also) what kind of weight routines do you have? I go in, try to lift and do all that, but then don't know if I'm doing enough.

My general routine is to try to do 3 sets of 10 for each exercise I'm doing. If that feels easy, the next time I try for three sets of 12. If I can get through that, they next time I go up to the next heavier weights and aim for 10 again. Keep repeating until I can do do 12 on those, move up again, etc.
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    You look so pretty and happy!!!!
    And I love how you put it, its a life long battle, and unless you change your lifestyle results wont stick.

Congrats on your great journey, and thanks for sharing, such an inspiration!!!!
  • Glenda0707
    Glenda0707 Posts: 16
    Options
    Love your attitude! You have your head in the right place. There is no quick fix and the goal should be to be healthy! Way to go girl!!!!
  • blg5
    blg5 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Inspirational post. Thanks for sharing and you look fantastic.
  • McLifterPants
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the positive feedback :) I forgot to mention that I put the weight back on very simply by not paying attention. I slowly slid back into bad habits and put on weight so gradually that I didn't even realize it was a problem for a very long time. This is why I am never saying I'm "done"! It's SO EASY to fall back in to bad habits.
  • wendytc
    wendytc Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Bravo!
  • leenie96
    leenie96 Posts: 65
    Options
    You're amazing! I want to be able to accomplish what you have done!
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Amazing work, you look fab
  • jazzedorange
    jazzedorange Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hard work pays off!!!
  • tajour
    tajour Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Nicely done! And you are gorgeous, girl!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Wow, nice! You're looking great. :)
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Everything about this is awesome. Great job!
  • hawaii86442
    hawaii86442 Posts: 167
    Options
    You are my goal 4. 146!!!!! I am 150 this morning and not in a size 4. --not even a ten. I will get to the gym and trim that fat into muscle!!! You are my inspiration!!!!
    :wink:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!