Sugar addiction

Options
How do you beat this?

I have always had a sweet tooth and prefer sweet stuff to pretty much any normal food. I have recently managed to stop eating chocolate (my biggest weakness!) but I find that if I don't eat something sweet during the day I never feel totally satisfied, I always want to eat that something extra to give me the full satisfied feeling I get from chocolate. I have tried snacking on fruit but the sugar rush isn't the same and I just end up eating 2-3 apples in a row to try to fill myself up to stop eating something bad.

I have tried just eating one piece of chocolate in the hope a little will be enough but it just makes me crave more and I end up eating way too much so I know I can't have it at all.

So will it ever go away or do I just have to live with that feeling that I'm never totally sated?

Replies

• PaigeJMP
    PaigeJMP Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with having a little piece of good quality chocolate? If you love it that much, why would you try to never eat it again. I think the key here is portion control. buy the best, smallest chocolate you can find, and enjoy. Don't store mini chocolates or buy them in bulk, and you won't be tempted.
  • pinkglitz
    pinkglitz Posts: 28
    Options
    Because I can't just eat a bit of it! I end up wanting more after one bar and will go out and buy it once I have the taste for it, I'm like an alcoholic I can't just stop at one!
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Have your piece and than keep yourself busy. Don't go out and buy some more. The craving will pass in an average of 15 -20 mins
  • dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Because I can't just eat a bit of it! I end up wanting more after one bar and will go out and buy it once I have the taste for it, I'm like an alcoholic I can't just stop at one!

I soooooo totally understand what you are saying!!:grumble: This is what has helped me more than anything else. A lower carb diet. I eat LOTS of veggies and protein and good fats (and usually a small amount of fruit each day 1-2 servings) When I eat this way.....the cravings for anything sweet, carb loaded totally go away and the sweets do not even appeal.......truly! For me it is a miracle:bigsmile: ..........but anytime I go off plan, like I did on the 4th of July, I struggle again to get back. Today I am finally back and soooooo grateful to be rid of the cravings again. I wish you well! Hugs, Dyanna:flowerforyou:
  • sophiathedss
    sophiathedss Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I can relate..I know foods I can't have in moderation and for me that includes sugar and chocolate. The cravings went away after a few weeks of not eating them. I hope you can find a way to eat in moderation...but that wasn't my experience. I love sugar free chocolate pudding and it helps with my sugar fix :)

11269213.png
  • samcorvus
    samcorvus Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I gave up sugar for a month to see if I could. It was right after I caught myself binging on St. Valentines candy and was disgusted. Came to find out that if somethings not fresh it has sugar in it. What really shocked me was that SPAM has sugar in it. Made it the thirty days by eating fruit. Mostly oranges. If I broke down and absolutely needed something sweet I'd use honey. After a couple weeks the cravings for sweet were really diminished and then all but disappeared.
  • bekahjk
    bekahjk Posts: 74 Member
    Options

I soooooo totally understand what you are saying!!:grumble: This is what has helped me more than anything else. A lower carb diet. I eat LOTS of veggies and protein and good fats (and usually a small amount of fruit each day 1-2 servings) When I eat this way.....the cravings for anything sweet, carb loaded totally go away and the sweets do not even appeal.......truly! For me it is a miracle:bigsmile: ..........but anytime I go off plan, like I did on the 4th of July, I struggle again to get back. Today I am finally back and soooooo grateful to be rid of the cravings again. I wish you well! Hugs, Dyanna:flowerforyou:

Ditto this! I feel this way as well. Anytime I start eating low car I immediately begin to feel better.
  • pinkglitz
    pinkglitz Posts: 28
    Options
    I am a carb addict too :) I find it really hard to drop them, I live for my bread,cereal and potatoes, always have.

I have heard a lot about low carb but I know I would really struggle with it especially if I'm not eating my sugar too...I guess I just have to tackle one thing at a time because if I feel I'm too deprived I know I'll totally fall off the diet wagon altogether.
  • gamerkiwi
    gamerkiwi Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Switch to dark chocolate. I'm talking 75-80%, plain. Spread some PB on there if you'd like. There's little sugar in those, low carbers eat that stuff all the time. And it's actually healthy, since you're getting antioxidants.

Also, the only thing that makes 2-3 apples better than a chocolate bar is the vitamins, they both have tons of sugar. Natural sugar is just as bad as added sugar.
  • Caniacgirl59
    Options
    I needed to read this post today! I'm struggling really bad with sugar and carbs in general and just can't seem to get back on track with a healthy lifestyle. And I can so relate to not being able to have just a little bit. When I'm on this cycle, if I try to have just a small portion, I will drive myself crazy thinking about having more. I have done low carb before and it did help with the cravings. For you guys that have found success by utilizing a low carb diet, do you eat whole grains like whole wheat pasta and bread? Do those trigger the same reaction that processed carbs do? Thanks!
  • gamerkiwi
    gamerkiwi Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am a carb addict too :) I find it really hard to drop them, I live for my bread,cereal and potatoes, always have.

I have heard a lot about low carb but I know I would really struggle with it especially if I'm not eating my sugar too...I guess I just have to tackle one thing at a time because if I feel I'm too deprived I know I'll totally fall off the diet wagon altogether.

Honestly, I hear people talking about how they could never go low carb because of a carb addiction, and I used to feel the same way, but you just need to dive right in and stick with it for a month to see if it's the way for you.
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm a total sugar addict. And for me, the only way to get past the cravings is to totally avoid refined sugar. It took about 3 days to get past the cravings, but they did go away. If I even eat a little bit of sugar, I want more. It usually lasts a day.
  • dazygrl02
    dazygrl02 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue but for me it's ice cream that is my happy food. I tried being at 1200 something a day based on recommendations, bu that was frustrating. But I feel way more satisfied with a higher caloric intake and 4-5 servings of ice cream a week. They say to make changes sustainable, I can totally sustain eating ice cream any time I want it. I feel satisfied and not grouchy. Also, every time I eat the serving size (even if I have taken to the single serving containers of Ben & Jerry's), I feel kinda proud. I know that deciding to engage in self-bribery with calorie allotments for other things can't be ideal for everyone, but for me it works. It might be something for you to consider.
  • angelew
    angelew Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Read Dr. Ray Strand's book called "Releasing Fat" and see if you think anything applies to you or your situation. You may be suffering from insulin resistance- you describe some of the symptoms. He details a nutritional plan that will improve your general health & eliminate sugar cravings...with a side effect of fat loss.
  • angelew
    angelew Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Dr. Hyman's book "The Blood Sugar Solution" is also excellent.
  • sjflowers
    sjflowers Posts: 148
    Options
    For me? I did a three day juice detox. and now I don't need the extra sugar. I sometimes might have a small bit of chocolate, but i don't eat the whole bag, or NEED to eat the whole bag or cookies or ice cream. The detox also got me off soda.
  • scatgash
    scatgash Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've tried so hard to beat my sugar addiction! But like others, I can't stop at one - I've been known after days of trying to eat clean to eat a whole jar of Nutella in one go :(
  • lelstar
    lelstar Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Another option is to see a naturopath, they have supplements that can help kill the sugar craving while you get yourself to a point where its not an issue
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey and didn't eat much fruit at first. I've only now added back in some sugar. I definitely recommend just quitting. It will suck, but if you truly want to be healthier, you will do it.
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    Yup I was like that but what helped me was fiber one brownies and fruit...having the will power and saying no. I t's rough the first week or two but after that it gets better