How many reps should I be doing?

Options
Started working out at the gym yesterday! I thought I would be sore today but Im not! Should I be! And should I do more reps? Or just add more weight?I just did 2 reps of 12 on each machine,anywhere from 25lbs to 55 lbs on different machines! Does this sound ok? Or should I do more!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you are doing high reps the last few should be hard. If you are aiming for 12 reps, reps 10 to 12 should be difficult to do (you should have to strain). If it is not hard then you should increase the weight.
  • BossyGirl
    BossyGirl Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    sometimes it takes more then 1 day to feel the soreness
  • JimWyatt
    Options
    If you are looking to build lean muscle mass, you have to lift heavy with low reps (6-8). If you want to tone down and lean out, you need to lift lighter weights with higher reps (12-15). The last 2 or 3 reps should be difficult and you should feel a little burning sensation if you have the weights right. Determine the weight needed to get that burn. Your body will adapt to that stress pretty quickly and the reps will get easier. Once you can do 15 reps, you need to increase the weight just a little. No more than 5 pounds at a time. Then it will get difficult again and your body will be forced to adapt to those new stresses.

Lifting weights is not the only thing you should consider when starting a weight lifting program. You need to be sure to take in the right ratio of carbs, fats and proteins. A good ratio is 40% carbs, 30% fat, and 30% protein if you are trying to lose weight. Over time you will lean down and lost pounds.

If you increase your muscle mass, you will burn body fat faster but your weight might not go down because lean muscle weighs more than fat. Also if you want to cut fat and gain lean muscle, you should use a ratio of about 30% carbs, 20% fat, and 50% protein. This is a low carb ratio so you shouldn't do it for more than 2 or 3 weeks. Then switch back to the 40,30,30.

These are basic guidelines but everyone's body's and metabolism is different and you need to adjust until you find something that works for you.

If you are lifting the right weights, you will feel some soreness but it shouldn't be painful. If you are in a lot of pain, you are trying to lift too much to start with.

Hope this helps.

Jim