Why do people (family) have to be haters???

Options
Yesterday started out good for me and ended kind of sad. My brother lives in New Jersey, I live in Utah. I only see him twice a year when he comes home. He is here this week so I went to my parents house to see him yesterday. The first words out of his mouth were " Meowy, (his nickname for me) you're so skinny!!!" When we were younger, he would give me a hard time about being overweight so to have him so excited for me really made me feel good. After I left the room, my mom and sister told him not to encourage me. They are tired of having everyone talk about my weight loss. I guess people comment to my mom all the time about my weight loss.

I've decided not to tell them things that make me excited any more. The only thing they've been really happy for was that I'm finally off my blood pressure medication. I'm really glad I have my friends here to be excited for me.

Replies

• terry_mtb
    terry_mtb Posts: 45
    Options
    Jealously
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I have to do the same with my mother, sadly. I just exclude. I'm done posting weight loss things on FB too, it always gets shat on.

I don't have time to babysit other people's insecurities.
  • jdhalberg72
    Options
    Congratulations on your accomplishment! Sometimes people just can't be happy for others, they are selfish and clearly have their own insecurities.

I have been trying to lose weight and my mother-in-law, and just finished telling her I lost almost 9 pounds and five minutes later she shoves a bowl of potato salad in my hand and says, "it won't kill you, just eat it." She just can't help trying to sabotage me, because that's what she understands.

Keep up the good work, ignore those who can't support you for whatever reason, and be proud of yourself!
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Yes, it sounds like jealousy! Good for you! Keep up the good work!
  • Miribg
    Miribg Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that. I think your mom and sister are just jealous. My mother in law always tells me I am fine how I am and that a woman doesn't look healthy if she is skinny (blah blah blah). My family on the other hand really encourages me and my friends n here are a big help too :heart: You ignore them and keep doing what you are doing :wink:
  • balancejenn
    balancejenn Posts: 234
    Options
    For some reason we expect more from our families....? Please don't let them take away from your tremendous accomplishments!!

You look wonderful :flowerforyou: and I'm happy for you :smile:
  • mbollman79
    mbollman79 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It seems everyone has said the right thing. They are just jealous. Ignor them as well as you can. Keep up the good work!
  • teresadutton
    teresadutton Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I havent had any support from my family other than my husband and my son. If I say something to my parents they just say oh good. lol
  • KyleWitt87
    KyleWitt87 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I dont see what the problem is? You have haters in your life, so that means you are doing something right. The only problem I see for you is that you need to figure out how to get 20 more haters by the end of the year! Dont let other peoples jealousy get in the way and cloud your vision. Your on a B-Line to success! Keep it up!