Which HRM is best?

Options
I am thinking I am going to start out with the fitbit because it looks like most people love theirs because I need to do some more research on a good HRM. What kind do you have? Is it easy to use? How much did you pay? Was it worth the money? Is yours water proof? Have you run into any problems with it? Good customer service? Battery charge quick? Life long? The ones that I've read up on so far have poor reviews because they're inconsistent- either people love em or they break down all of the time. Thank you again!

Replies

• edavis27
    edavis27 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Bump because I am also looking for a general answer in this direction still
  • ShelfRelianceMom
    Options
    bump please need at least a couple answers:wink:
  • chloeelebeir
    chloeelebeir Posts: 130
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and I LOVE it! I did a short review on it if you are interested!

http://chloeelebeir.blogspot.com/2012/06/polar-hrm-ft4-review.html
  • george599
    george599 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use a one body a HRM and it has worked fine.
    the batteries are available and easy to change.
    available from tesco for just under £20

http://www.tesco.com/direct/one-body-heart-rate-monitor/203-3529.prd?skuId=203-3529&pageLevel=
  • 13pointUNO
    13pointUNO Posts: 51
    Options
    I use the Garmin 305. Haven't had a single problem with it. Very easy to use. I've used it for running, biking (without the optional cadence sensor), and for Insanity workouts (turing off the GPS).

I don't remember paying this much for it, but here it is on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Receiver-Heart-Monitor/dp/B000CSWCQA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341679600&sr=8-1&keywords=garmin+305

To answer some of your questions:

Very easy to use
    I believe it's waterproof, but I don't go anywhere near water anyway :)
    Has a 10 hour battery so I charge it on the PC every few runs
    I've had it about 18 months....I've had to replace the band ($14), but it was my own fault
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Garmin or Polar. I use the Polar FT7. They are a little pricier but worth it. Cheap HRMs are not worth it.
  • dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 405. It's much more than a heart rate monitor though. New they are around 300 dollars. Charge fairly quick. Can be used with the Garmin footpod and the Garmin cycling cadence sensor. They are water resistant but they have a touch bezel that will freak out the display when liquid gets under the bezel. I just lock the bezel if it begins to rain on a run and that issue is averted. If it does start to go nuts, the watch is still functioning but the display won't sit still long enough to read. As soon as you go inside and dry it off it goes back to normal operation in just a minute or two. A much better option for a waterproof Garmin is the 305, 310 and 910. All parameters can be uploaded to Garmin Connect on the web or to Garmin Training Center on your computer. If you are looking only for HRM functionality any of those would be overkill. In that case the Polar FT4 and FT7 are among the most popular and most reliable. One bit of advice is to get an HRM that uses a chest strap for continuous monitoring. The ones that have the contacts on the case that you must touch with your fingers to get a read are a bit inconvenient for me. FT4 and FT7 both have a chest strap.
  • sizzler0123
    Options
    I just bought a Polar FT4 and I LOVE it!! I am from Canada and paid under $100 for it through Amazon. I really wanted it to get an accurate calorie burn from my workouts. It is very comfortable and very easy to use - in fact I don't even notice i have the chest strap on!
  • jadedbutterfly71
    jadedbutterfly71 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and I absolutely LOVE it!
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    If you work out in a gym go for the Polar f7. The Polar F4 will pick up other's heartrate and skew your results.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I also have the Polar FT4. I just got it a couple weeks ago. So glad I did because it was well worth the money!
  • CLCinNOLA
    CLCinNOLA Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I recently ordered a Polar FT7 from Amazon, which will be delivered next week.

Polar has the best reputation, in my opinion. I think that what model of Polar HRM you order probably depends mostly on what you want out of an HRM. The FT60 has better reviews than the FT7, but the FT60 looks too complex and expensive for me. I am looking forward to using my FT7 at the gym soon.
  • pondwater41
    Options
    stay away from the sportsline models. they are cheap for a reason.

at first, i didn't want to spend a lot money on a hrm bc i wasn't sure if i'd stick with a "diet" (i use that term loosely) plan. but with the encouragement of my family, i've stuck with mfp since April, began cycling again, better food habits, etc. i hold myself accountable now.

i just purchased a polar FT40 last night, online for 90ish dollars.
  • andreamkelly
    andreamkelly Posts: 169
    Options
    I have a polar FT7 and I like it because I can use it in the pool to track my water aerobics class. Haven't had any trouble with it yet. My husband has a Garmin Forerunner 910xt. He uses his to track his bike trips. His was a lot more expensive because it has GPS, but he seems to like it also.
  • returnonetime
    returnonetime Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have had the polar FT4 for about 6months, bought it from Amazon for £50. It was worth paying that little bit more than a basic one for. I would highly recommend it. Very easy to use.
  • ering
    ering Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft7 and I love it! I paid around $70 for a new one on Amazon. It comes with a chest strap which is essential if you want the reading to be accurate. I have not had any problems with mine and I've had it for about a year. It's very user friendly and is water proof too.
  • ShelfRelianceMom
    Options
    Thank you sooo much everyone. That really helps alot. I realize now that it might have just been an issue with that specific model I was reviewing. I appreciate it! :wink:
  • ering
    ering Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I forgot to say that I have a fitbit too. It's not a heart rate monitor, more of a glorified pedometer. I do love my fitbit though. If I had to choose only one I'd get the Polar F7 instead of the fitbit though.
  • theNurseNancy
    Options
    Polar ft4 <3