Calories in, calories out. Why doesn't this work?

Options
I've read this a lot, and I'm just curious as to why. Ugh, there is so much conflicting information out there when it comes to weight loss! I'm just trying to gain some clarity.

Replies

• drcrimson
    drcrimson Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    For the vast majority of people, this all comes down to calories in vs calories out. Take in too many vs what is going out and you will gain weight. Take in fewer than what is going out and you will lose weight.

The keys after the above is count everything through MFP or any other means possible (spreadsheets, etc.). You have to be religious about counting calories in my opinion to be successful. Lastly, its a daily struggle that you have to be fully committed to.

Good luck

yolodiet.com
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Hormonal balances change dependant on whether you are in surplus or deficit. It can mask/slow/accelerate progrees.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It worked for me. Never worried about carbs, sugars, etc. But i didn't estimate my portions either - I weighed out everything.
  • tamtamzz
    tamtamzz Posts: 142
    Options
    It worked for me. Never worried about carbs, sugars, etc. But i didn't estimate my portions either - I weighed out everything.

Yeah, I've been doing pretty well too, but I think I should start weighing things out because I know as I get closer to my goal things will need to be more precise.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options

Yeah, I've been doing pretty well too, but I think I should start weighing things out because I know as I get closer to my goal things will need to be more precise.

Weighing makes a really big difference - and weighing will also really improve your ability to estimate. I always guess out loud before weighing anything, and have occasionally been surprised at how far off my estimates were... over time I've become more accurate, to the point I feel confident that I can go to a new restaurant and try something and be within 100 calories on my meal estimate (and then I add an extra 50 just to be sure) :)

In response to your original question, calories in, calories out works for most, regarding weight loss. However, sometimes it takes a little bit more, depending on your genetics. Also, being healthy definitely requires more info than just losing weight.

Edit: There is so much conflicting info, because it works differently for so many different people. Unfortunately, not everyone realizes that "Their way" may not work for others, so they proclaim loudly their "Ultimate method for success!".
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    When I was tracking, it worked for me. But tracking food was exhausting and frustrating for me, so I stopped worrying about it. Now I use the mindset of filling my plate with what's healthy first (salad, fresh veggies, fresh fruit, etc.) and putting smaller portions of the other stuff (lean meats, cheese, etc.). I don't deny myself anything I want, thus eliminating the desperate cravings for naughty things like sweets by eliminating the novelty of it. I know I need to work out to burn off what I've eaten, so I run hard and long. If I'm eating healthy things and moving my body, I will reap the rewards... that's all there is to it. Getting wrapped up in numbers just frustrates me. I do what feels good.
  • RancidPolecat2
    Options
    Do the following and you will end up consuming less calories:

1. Increase your fibre intake - you will feel fuller.
    2. Decrease your fructose intake (sodas, fruit juice, etc.) - fructose does not suppress the hunger hormone.
    3. Drink more water.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    It does work, for everyone...

::Waits for special snowflakes to disagree::
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    It does work, over time, on average. People think it doesn't because of things like-
    * Mis-estimating (intakes, outputs, both)
    * The scale can't measure 'fat loss' (it catches water issues)
    * It's not a straight line (a deficit of 500 calories one day doesn't equal 1/7 lb. less scale weight the next day)
    * And people let misinformation and auxiliary info cloud their planning (hormones, starvation mode, macros, 'clean' eating, sodium, meal timing, exercise 'rules', BMR, ketones, etc.)
  • tamtamzz
    tamtamzz Posts: 142
    Options
    * And people let misinformation and auxiliary info cloud their planning (hormones, starvation mode, macros, 'clean' eating, sodium, meal timing, exercise 'rules', BMR, ketones, etc.)