Goal Weights and Things

Options
So, I am getting very close to the lowest weight that I can remember being in my adult life--which is not my goal weight of 155. But as I'm getting closer to this weight (165), I am starting to wonder if I remembered what it was like being at this weight differently than the way it really was...

I chose a goal of 155, because a lot of people would say that my starting weight wasn't that bad, it's kind of in the middle of where most guides say I should be for my height and age--but now I'm starting to wonder if I'm not WAY off.

Replies

• ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Like what? Are you comfortable where you're at now, or do you think you can go a lot further?
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to realize that it is more about "how" I shape up rather than what I weigh. When I was around 33 I started gaining weight, not bunches but enough to put me outa shape. Before that I was like a toothpick, no muscle to speak of. Not much tone because of being inactive(like, I am thin so why work out). Wow, the things we learn;) Glad it isn't too late:) I posted a pic of a guy 70 that recently won the Body for Life challenge. If it isn't too late for him it sure isn't for me.

You are smart, you will continue to do well;) denise
    So, I am getting very close to the lowest weight that I can remember being in my adult life--which is not my goal weight of 155. But as I'm getting closer to this weight (165), I am starting to wonder if I remembered what it was like being at this weight differently than the way it really was...

I chose a goal of 155, because a lot of people would say that my starting weight wasn't that bad, it's kind of in the middle of where most guides say I should be for my height and age--but now I'm starting to wonder if I'm not WAY off.
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Well, I think I could probably go a lot farther--I think most people are imagining guys with an average amount of muscle mass, and I don't think I have that--so I think going down a few pounds below 155 is not unreasonable at all.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    One of my challenges has been losing muscle size as I lose weight.
    It bothers me. I don't want to be a "little guy".
    Just ego....:bigsmile:
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    No harm in trying to go a bit lower as long as you are staying healthy and not going underweight. I kept pushing my goal weight down and only have 1lb to go so I am determined to get there. However I do feel it is a bit low and after reaching my goal I intend to do some lifting to add on a bit of muscle so will probably gain a few pounds again which is ok.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    There are different ways you can actually calculate your ideal body weight... it's essentially your lean body mass plus a percentage of your weight as fat - healthy is generally anything in the 12-20% body fat area depending on level of fitness. Calculating it out though gives a much better target than picking a weight and aiming for it. (Although congrats on your progress so far!) :)

Here's what I used to calculate out my ideal weight (of around 180 lbs), hope it helps:

http://www.builtlean.com/2010/05/04/ideal-body-weight-formula-how-to-calculate-your-ideal-weight/
  • AmyB69
    AmyB69 Posts: 117
    Options
    I think I changed my goal weight 3-4 times. Every time I got close I'd lower it again. I feel great at my current weight and am working on toning more now. I really love cardio though, so it's been hard to try and cut back on that and do more weights.
  • KaidaKantri
    KaidaKantri Posts: 401
    Options
    It all depends on what you want. If your happy where your at then stay there, but if you want to lose more, then by golly do so! Personally, I'm aiming for 120. However, I have a feeling that 135 would be best, but I won't know what looks better on me until I get down to 120. It's much easier to gain weight than to lose. Maybe if your thinking you want to lose more, get down further, and if you don't like it, gain it with muscle or just gain it :) Do what YOU want.
  • JonathonMars
    Options
    I guess in my mind it seems like I need to lose more weight and then gain weight by adding muscle? But maybe you are supposed to do both as the same time? There are a lot of guys with lots of muscle mass, but with also a lot of fat. But I guess a lot of people say that lifting weights can help you get rid of fat as much as cardio--which brings up a whole other topic. My aversion to exercise. I just feel unqualified to do it!
  • Vonwarr
    Options
    It's hard to GAIN muscle and lose fat at the same time (gaining muscle tissue generally requires a calorie surplus, and losing fat requires a calorie deficit)... But, you can do strength training to lose fat and MAINTAIN the amount of muscle that you have. If you lose weight without strength training, you will be losing some muscle along with the fat. And yes, strength training burns 5 or more calories a minute, raises your metabolism for a much longer period, and increases your resting calorie burn rate. It definitely helps!

Just... start slowly. If you feel unqualified, start with body weight exercises - meaning that you don't lift anything but your own self. Do squats and lunges for the largest benefit, and add in pushups or crunches if you feel ambitious!
  • JonathonMars
    Options
    This actually makes the most sense to me. I do need to get a a pretty small size, then start worrying about gaining mass, I guess. This fall, I'm gonna start working with a personal trainer and have a thorough fitness assessment done, but until then, I feel kind of scared to exercise. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but people talk about the "correct" way to do things, and injuries so much, it makes me nervous.
  • ichellebereel
    ichellebereel Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I would be very comfortable at 200lbs because of my large frame. I remember being uneasy at 189. I went down to 167 and I started back eating, that is too small for me. I was looking sick.
  • JonathonMars
    Options
    I kind of wonder what kind of frame I have--if I do the whole, measure your wrist things, it's small. But I have this very large ribcage! It's very odd. Right now, I have a 38" waist and I can't imagine someone having a 30" waist or even a 34" waist! I changed my goal to 140, which is scary, frightening and depressing, since I am not even half way to that goal!
  • Vonwarr
    Options
    I kind of wonder what kind of frame I have--if I do the whole, measure your wrist things, it's small. But I have this very large ribcage! It's very odd. Right now, I have a 38" waist and I can't imagine someone having a 30" waist or even a 34" waist! I changed my goal to 140, which is scary, frightening and depressing, since I am not even half way to that goal!

Do you know your BF %? Some scales measure it (although they tend to inaccurate) and body fat calipers are generally $6-10 and are fairly accurate.
  • JonathonMars
    Options
    Well, I was just going to wait until this fall and have it analyzed, but maybe I will just go ahead and get some calipers and try to do it myself. It would be very helpful to know, I suppose.
  • Vonwarr
    Options
    The calipers are cheap and takes very little time. It's incredibly helpful... if you know your BF %, you can calculate out your ideal weight... no guessing or uncertainty. If you do get the calipers and want someone to walk you through the calculation, send me a message.
  • JonathonMars
    Options
    Alright, thanks. Ordered and should be here in the next week.