fit it in your daily calories!?

Options

Replies

• trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I do adjust the rest of my day accordingly.. I don't see how that's weird or unhealthy.
    Today I'm going to have fish tacos and a big. butt. margarita for dinner for a girl's night out.... so I will probably eat around 550-600 or so calories for breakfast/lunch and still go over my 1500 by 200 or more because its not like I'm not going to order the BIG drink and get into the chips/salsa, please.
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    :drinker:
  • frafjordtwins
    frafjordtwins Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am making a choice to get heallthy, and yes it is a life style change. Do not diprive yourself of what you would like to eat. I call it portion control. If I want a In-n-out cheeseburger I get it, less the bun and share the fries with my husband or 3 childre. If we go out it dinner, I ask for a to go box when my food is brought to the table so I can box up 1/2 of my food so the temptation to over eat is gone. I have found that some waiters will box of 1/2 of my food before they bring me my order. I find if I do not diprive myself I do not over eat. I am not saying I have a pasta, rice, cheeseburger and fries, candy, or just junk food everyday, I don't. I stop and think about what I am putting in my body. If I was eating healthy and a sensible amount of food before would not be on this wonderful sight.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    i see this statement alot. people saying you can eat what you want as long as it fits into your daily calories. moderation is key, ect, ect. HOWEVER i dont get it. i understand you can fit, say some ice cream or a candy bar into your daily calories. but say you want a cheeseburger and fries. that is NOT going to fit into your daily calories unless you are super restrictive the rest of the day or exercises like mad so you have alot of extra calories to eat. and to me this doesnt seem normal or healthy. most people dont say, well im going to dinner tonight so i better only eat 2 eggs and a salad for breakfeast and lunch. or do they? i know this needs to be a lifestyle change so how do you incorporate the things you love into your diet?

If you exercise you most definitely can fit it into your daily calories. Say you wanna go out for a burger and fries ~1K calories.
    So you need to exercise to fit those in. For example walk for 1.5 hour fast pace 400 cal, circuit train/interval train/treadmill for 1 hour 600 cal. You obviously don't want to eat like this every day but with exercise is totally doable.

EDIT I'm sure you are already aware what I posted in my comment above and looking at your diary you already exercise a lot :) Keep it up.
  • imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I look at weekly calories, rather than daily!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Okay--so for me I have come to terms with the fact that I won't be perfect every single day but I also know that I don't NEED to be. Honestly, I have *kitten* food every day in some capacity but I do log it and I do try to make the portions of the less than ideal food smaller than most "normal" people would. Now if it's something I just LOVE to no end then I say f$&k it and eat as much as my heart desires. This MIGHT happen 1x every 10-14 days but I don't fight it. I just eat and move on.

I think the scale is a form of self sabotage for most people--you see a good number and think "okay...I've earned X" ...then you eat it and feel bad. Or you see a bad number and think "well what's the use? I've done everything right and I've gotten no results."

I think MOST (not all) people would benefit from a reduced reliance on the scale as validation for their efforts. The human body is too complex to use the scale weight as a definitive measure of the efficiency of your plan. So maybe weighing 1-2x a month on a day when you FEEL GOOD and tell yourself well " I feel good so whatever I weigh is a perfectly acceptable weight for me" make note of it and move on. Use it as a tool/guide but if you KNOW you're doing EVERYTGIBG right and you're getting so obsessed about the number then walk away from the scale.

If you were being an INCREDIBLthoughtful friend and really bending over backwards to make sure you were being the best friend EVER and they constantly bagged you for the dumbest things you would probably not ve their friend for very long. You'd walk away from their negativity. It if your best friend had someone treating them with a lack of respect you'd advise them to step away from the relationship--the same us true of a relationship with the scale that is damaging to you.
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    i guess people are on this site for a reason. most people on here most likely had bad eating habits and that is why they joined. for me i dont think that is the case. i ate healthy and not so healthy foods but i only ate till i was full which was probably only 1/2 my meal in the first place when i went out to eat. and now that i think about it i believe i ate less throughout the day because when i did go out to eat, the higher calorie meal left me full and i didnt need any snacks. so in all reality i probably was eating the same amount of calories as i do now, i was just enjoying things i liked and didnt really think about it because i was not logging. i enjoy healthy foods and have always ate them, but i also LOVE going out to eat and trying new things and i used to do that. and i didnt gorge because there was no need to because i didnt have any set restricitons. for me i am begining to realize it is all a mind/mental thing. when i associate things as bad food or foods i cant have that is all i want. and then i dont let myself eat them. and when i finally decide to allow for an iduglent meal i go crazy with it.
  • cmm7303
    cmm7303 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    most people dont say, well im going to dinner tonight so i better only eat 2 eggs and a salad for breakfeast and lunch. or do they? i know this needs to be a lifestyle change so how do you incorporate the things you love into your diet?

My fit and healthy family members do this, actually. They'll eat light the whole week around Thanksgiving, or the grandparents' anniversary or whatever, just out of habit.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    actually, you CAN fit pretty much anything in your daily calories if you use portion control.

Last night the family ordered Donatos subs for dinner. I am on a lower carb diet, so I ordered an entree salad. I still had enough carbs/calories to have an atkins brownie with 2T PB on top ( about 450 cal) before bed.

the other day, I ate like I usually do, and had a craving for something sweet after dinner. So I had HALF of a kit kat bar.

the last time Hubby and I went out for lunch, we went to Ruby Tuesday. We both got the Ruby Mini's ( 2 mini burgers) with the garden bar. I ate a salad, both minis, and about 6 fries...then I asked the waiter to take my plate. I still had plenty of calories to use at dinner!
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Portion control, it's not that hard. For example, I had some Snickers Ice cream from BR yesterday. I had a "kids" scoop. If I want a burger, I make it smaller, or cut the one I order in half.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    i guess people are on this site for a reason. most people on here most likely had bad eating habits and that is why they joined. for me i dont think that is the case. i ate healthy and not so healthy foods but i only ate till i was full which was probably only 1/2 my meal in the first place when i went out to eat. and now that i think about it i believe i ate less throughout the day because when i did go out to eat, the higher calorie meal left me full and i didnt need any snacks. so in all reality i probably was eating the same amount of calories as i do now, i was just enjoying things i liked and didnt really think about it because i was not logging. i enjoy healthy foods and have always ate them, but i also LOVE going out to eat and trying new things and i used to do that. and i didnt gorge because there was no need to because i didnt have any set restricitons. for me i am begining to realize it is all a mind/mental thing. when i associate things as bad food or foods i cant have that is all i want. and then i dont let myself eat them. and when i finally decide to allow for an iduglent meal i go crazy with it.

So go back to what you were doing. If it worked, it worked.

I like the MFP way. I like to make sure I'm getting enough protein and to know that I can fit in some pizza and still make progress. It works for me, so that's how I do it. I've never had a significant weight problem. I started here to lose baby weight. For the time being, I like MFP. I might stop logging later.
  • Jessicaruby
    Options

I like the MFP way. I like to make sure I'm getting enough protein and to know that I can fit in some pizza and still make progress. It works for me, so that's how I do it. I've never had a significant weight problem. I started here to lose baby weight. For the time being, I like MFP. I might stop logging later.

im just worried if i go back to this i will gain more weight! i already weigh more now then when i started this site due to my bulk! and it is taking forever to lose, i dont want to gain more!!! i started on here because i wanted to lose about 10lbs because i didnt like how my belly looked. then i decided i wanted muscles, not just to be skinny so i did my bulk but i gained to much excess fat in the process!
  • Jessicaruby
    Options
    Portion control, it's not that hard. For example, I had some Snickers Ice cream from BR yesterday. I had a "kids" scoop. If I want a burger, I make it smaller, or cut the one I order in half.

i can have portion control and i understand the concept but what if your still legitamatly hungry and want the whole burger? do you eat it or say nope i have had enough? with ice cream, candy, ect i am fine with eating a smaller serving to get rid of a craving but when going out to dinner and your still hungry after eating half your meal do you just tell yourself no?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    How often do you go out? If it's once or twice a week, then yes, you need to really watch portions. We often go to Applebees so I can get the lower calorie stuff. Or yes, my husband and I often split the burgers at Red Robin. If it's once a month, go over your calories, relax have fun. It shouldn't set you back.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options

im just worried if i go back to this i will gain more weight! i already weigh more now then when i started this site due to my bulk! and it is taking forever to lose, i dont want to gain more!!! i started on here because i wanted to lose about 10lbs because i didnt like how my belly looked. then i decided i wanted muscles, not just to be skinny so i did my bulk but i gained to much excess fat in the process!
    So are you cutting now? If so then maybe you can't fit too many extras into your diet. I can't because my cutting calories are too low. I have to be strict on my diet for a month or two. When you indulge have a glass of wine. You don't have to have the wine and the pasta. Indulge don't binge. A few hundred cals over can easily be made up for. A few thousand no so much.
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    MotorCityFemmeFatale Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have IIFYM days. But I also have a weekly calorie and daily macro goals .... the lifting and cardio I do is already factored in to the weekly cals.
  • Jessicaruby
    Options
    before starting on MFP i ate out almost everyday for either lunch or dinner. the other meal i made a nice healthy meal at home. i would eat about 1/2 my meal when i went out because i would get full. no i hardly ever go out because i feel like i can not control my calories/macros as well. i go out maybe once or twice a month. i too often choose applebees because they have tasty food for lower cals menu options and i can easily fit that into my day but sometimes i just want to indulge and have a big plate of spaghetti and wine( maybe once a month) i am trying to cut. i am only looking to lose about .5lb a week. i am set at 1710 cals plus exercise cals
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    before starting on MFP i ate out almost everyday for either lunch or dinner. the other meal i made a nice healthy meal at home. i would eat about 1/2 my meal when i went out because i would get full. no i hardly ever go out because i feel like i can not control my calories/macros as well. i go out maybe once or twice a month. i too often choose applebees because they have tasty food for lower cals menu options and i can easily fit that into my day but sometimes i just want to indulge and have a big plate of spaghetti and wine( maybe once a month) i am trying to cut. i am only looking to lose about .5lb a week. i am set at 1710 cals plus exercise cals
    I'm confused as to how large a plate of spaghetti you are eating that you can't fit it into 1710 plus exercise?
    I'm only eating 1350 plus exercise and I manage to do it.
  • Jessicaruby
    Options
    I'm confused as to how large a plate of spaghetti you are eating that you can't fit it into 1710 plus exercise?
    I'm only eating 1350 plus exercise and I manage to do it.

:laugh: its not that i want a HUGE plate of spaghetti. i guess the point im trying to make is that i dont want to have to feel like im starving the rest of the day because i want to go out to dinner and indulge a bit sometimes. i never thought this way before i started this site. i just always ate when i was hungry and stopped when i was full. i never worried about eating less for the whole day so i could go out to dinner, or exercising more. does this make sense?
  • ering
    ering Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    The thing is, you can have a cheeseburger and fries and still be within your daily calories. The trick...COOK IT YOURSELF! A burger made at home and french fries you cut up yourself are so much healthier and have far fewer calories than a fast food burger. Not to mention it tastes better too.

Of course moderation is key too. Don't eat a bowl of icecream, have 1 serving of the actual serving size.