Sprint workouts

Options
Hey, is anyone out there running sprints on the track (or field) that would care to share? I'm just getting back into it and have started slowly with 400m repeats to build some endurance. Any advice for the next progression, or other sprints/drills to add to the mix. My goals are a little fuzzy right now, but I'd like to be able to run 100m, 200m and 400m at approx 80% age-graded performances (40-44). I'm getting close on the 400m, but haven't tried 100/200m yet because the last time I did, I tore a hamstring.

So any ideas on progressing smoothly from 400m would be appreciated.

Replies

• B_Running
    B_Running Posts: 158
    Options
    I'm going to apologize now for not answering your question or providing any real advice; however, I'm just getting back into sprints (working on my 300m for a physical fitness test). I was diligently working on my sprints back in March but had to stop running entirely due to a stress fracture in my foot. I'm easing back into sprints (treadmill first... although, I know it's MUCH easier than outside).

Yesterday, I did 15 minutes on a treadmill -- 1 minute on/1 minute off with 2, 3, 4, & 5% incline.
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    Hey, is anyone out there running sprints on the track (or field) that would care to share? I'm just getting back into it and have started slowly with 400m repeats to build some endurance. Any advice for the next progression, or other sprints/drills to add to the mix. My goals are a little fuzzy right now, but I'd like to be able to run 100m, 200m and 400m at approx 80% age-graded performances (40-44). I'm getting close on the 400m, but haven't tried 100/200m yet because the last time I did, I tore a hamstring.

Outstanding! I admire your goals. I wish more people would consider sprints in their training. FWIW, I coach a Special Olympics track team and was previously a competitive track athlete. There are a couple of things I would consider:

1) Your age. Sprinting puts tremendous stress on the body and since you are like me, part of the Over 40 crowd, you have to be extra careful. So sorry that you tore a hamstring. Unfortunately that is a tough injury to come back from.

2) Sprinters do ALOT more than just sprint. In fact, if you watch elite sprinters (members of the Canadian team work out at the same indoor facility I frequent), the actual sprinting probably comprises 25% of the workout. And even then, they rarely operate at 100%.

3) Even though you are sprinting, this is a marathon, not a sprint! You need to build slowly, allowing your body to recover properly.

So, with that said, make sure you do lots of strength training. Squats are great for the legs. Other lifts to strengthen your upper body and core are all part of the game. Sprinters are focused on explosive power.They do lots of jumping, onto boxes, over hurdles, etc.

Make sure you vary your workouts (intensity, etc.).

Properly recover. Lots of stretching after the workout.

Listen to your body. The last thing you need is a torn achilles. That would be far worse than your hamstring injury.

Lots of intervals. For things like the 200m, try running at 70% effort, then slowly jog back to the 200 m start, and repeat.

Consider joining a track team! Doesn't cost much and most coaches are excellent.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Go to T-Nation.com, they have at least two very good articles on sprint training; I believe one of them was by Lee Boyce. You can either use their search engine or trying looking under Authors and Lee Boyce. He may not be the author but I think he did at least one. It's a very sound approach to sprint training. If I had a track by me I would do it myself.
  • pooki24
    pooki24 Posts: 31
    Options

Outstanding! I admire your goals. I wish more people would consider sprints in their training. FWIW, I coach a Special Olympics track team and was previously a competitive track athlete. There are a couple of things I would consider:

1) Your age. Sprinting puts tremendous stress on the body and since you are like me, part of the Over 40 crowd, you have to be extra careful. So sorry that you tore a hamstring. Unfortunately that is a tough injury to come back from.

2) Sprinters do ALOT more than just sprint. In fact, if you watch elite sprinters (members of the Canadian team work out at the same indoor facility I frequent), the actual sprinting probably comprises 25% of the workout. And even then, they rarely operate at 100%.

3) Even though you are sprinting, this is a marathon, not a sprint! You need to build slowly, allowing your body to recover properly.

So, with that said, make sure you do lots of strength training. Squats are great for the legs. Other lifts to strengthen your upper body and core are all part of the game. Sprinters are focused on explosive power.They do lots of jumping, onto boxes, over hurdles, etc.

Make sure you vary your workouts (intensity, etc.).

Properly recover. Lots of stretching after the workout.

Listen to your body. The last thing you need is a torn achilles. That would be far worse than your hamstring injury.

Lots of intervals. For things like the 200m, try running at 70% effort, then slowly jog back to the 200 m start, and repeat.

Consider joining a track team! Doesn't cost much and most coaches are excellent.

Dave, thanks for the reply. You make some good points. I know the stress sprinting puts on a middle aged body, so I'm definitely taking it slow. I've got a plan that includes at least 2 days of lifting and a lot of interval work.

I wish there was a track team nearby, but I don't have that option since I moved from FL. When I ran in the 30-34 group, I had a couple training partners, but my wife is running some too now so that helps a lot.

Since I posted the original post, I've been doing various shuttle runs on the field (to preserve the knees!) and a few 400m repeats, usually 4x400 @ 65% with 3-4min recovery between. I've tested the 200m at about 60-70% and felt great. I'll add the 200m repeats as I build my sprint endurance.

JNick, thanks the tip on t-nation.com. The articles are great. Some of the info I knew and am already following, some is new and I'll be adding to the routine.

B-running, I know the feeling coming back from an injury. Hope it heals well. I think I'm too ADD/ADHD for the treadmill...even with the TV on!

Again, thanks for the input everyone!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    B-running, I know the feeling coming back from an injury. Hope it heals well. I think I'm too ADD/ADHD for the treadmill...even with the TV on!

I'm the same way, cardio is f'in PAINFUL for me to do; I can't stand it. This lady at the gym can spend an hour on the stairmill and she was insulted when I told her cardio was boring. LOL
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    sorry, this is kind of off topic but how do you log "sprints"? I'm not even sure if i'm technically doing sprints but I sometimes run as fast as I can up a hill, jog back down, rest, run up again etc. I can't figure out how to log it. Do I just put running? I'm stopping when I get to the bottom, resting for a minute and then doing it again so I didn't think running made sense unless i log it as multiple one minute runs or something like that.