Completing food diary entry the day before

Options
Has anyone done this and has it helped you control your eating when you've planned out your day the day before?

Thanks!

Replies

• EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i've tried doing it. i usually always end up adding something in though, or taking something out. it all depends on how dedicated you are to sticking to what you put in the diary!
  • ks2001
    ks2001 Posts: 40
    Options
    I just joined MFP yesterday so I'm not sure about the Complete option, but I do find that planning even my next meal is good. Right now I'm taking a break from work and planning out my late lunch. For some reason I don't feel so hungry if I know I have xyz coming and I get to eat all of it :-)

Good luck!!
  • ZeldaCat
    Options
    Yes, it has been quite helpful to me. I enter both my food and exercise diaries first thing in the morning and it certainly helps keep me in check for the day. I find that since it is all ready "set in stone" I feel the need to follow my plan. Good luck!
  • romst19
    romst19 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Yes and yes! I enter all of my meals the night before, and it definitely helps me stick to a plan. Sometimes last minute circumstances force me to change things up, but that's not often. I hope this works for you if you try it out!
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I do that when I make out my weekly meals I kind of plan around what I am making for dinner and fill everything else in. It helps to know how many calories you have left and everything.
  • blessedtobefit
    blessedtobefit Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Being able to plan my meals/snacks the day before and then type them in my diary every morning has been a huge help for me. Adding in my exercise keeps me on track and gives me the motivational push I need to follow my plan for the day. I've tried typing my food/exercise in as I do it and that works too, but I find myself not as committed to my daily goals as when I follow a plan set before me. The greatest part is hitting the green button and seeing just what I can accomplish in 5 weeks if I stick to my daily gaols. That is the boost I need and when I want to cheat or skip a meal I remember how far I have come and I am determined not to quit! This site and its tools have helped me stay accountable for my actions and helped me get that much closer to my ultimate goals.
  • MadWorld
    MadWorld Posts: 200
    Options
    I sure do. It really helps to keep me in check when I hit that button. I'm horrible at math-- ha-- so, it takes all the guessing out. I try to plan my meals and snacks ahead of time. But, on the days that I don't (my not so good days) I get a reality check when I hit the "complete food diary entry" button and then it helps me to get back on track the next day.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I fill out my entire day first thing in the morning. It *really really* helps me stay on track! If I do go off track or change something, it's okay, but I almost never do. I always end up thinking "but if I add/change that, then I"ll have to change my diary and that's just too much work." and so I stick with my original food plan. :laugh:

On the other hand, I don't submit my exercise until I've completed it. It gives me just a little more motivation during the workout to know that I can reward myself by logging my exercise when I'm done. It's dorky, but it works for me. :wink:
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    I fill out my day first thing in the morning. Then I have goals for what to eat for the day. I usually leave 300 calories incase I add something to my day. I also log my workout for the day because it makes me feel bad if I don't do that workout... I know I will have to change my calories down which would be no fun!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I do mine in the morning.

I get up, pack a lunch and mentally calorie-count breakfast/morn snack/lunch/afternoon snack as I pack - keeping the count about where I need it. Then when I get to work I log on for a bit and enter that and go ahead and enter a tentative dinner and my usual late snack (100 cals for popcorn/fruit/ice cream). I also hold back 100 cals for a little nibble while cooking.

It's not bad. Taking the longer-term look makes it easy to budget. Sometimes If I'm planning a nice light chix-breast & salad for dinner I can go ahead and have a little heavier lunch or vice-versa. The biggie is to plan the eats and eat the plan, and try your best to stick to it.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Has anyone done this and has it helped you control your eating when you've planned out your day the day before?

Thanks!

I do..I find it helpfull. Especially any time I am going to make any adjustments ect..I like to sit down a day or even several days before and get it all worked out.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options

Thanks!

yes. it helps. i used to do it all the time when things were more structured, but i am all over the place with school and work right now so it doesn't work. but if i know what is happening the next day, it is easy to pack something up for that and follow a 'menu'
  • Reeder
    Reeder Posts: 20
    Options
    Yes. I'm just getting started, but I think it is going to help me doing some days like that.
  • amysol
    amysol Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I don't do it the day before but I will say this, and many of you may find this to be easier to do and still very helpful. While I am making my meal, or right before I start making it, I enter everythign for that meal, so I can see it all come together. This way I can say, Oh, let me take out a little of this and a little of that, or I can say oh I can add in a little more of this!

It works well! :-)