Really Need Encouragement

Options
I really need to lose weight and it is hard for me at this point cause I do not have anyone that will help me through or encourage me through this weight loss. I do not own a gym membership or a bike all I can do is walk. I am not sure how to start what I need to keep doing to stay out on this. Can anyone help me?

Replies

• lilyxD
    lilyxD Posts: 33
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I love to give encouragement, and I LOVE motivation buddies!! If you ever need anything, please dont hesitate to message me!!(:
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    You can FR me if you want. Best thing to do is get an at home workout program and follow the schedule they give you.
  • mmsmom99
    mmsmom99 Posts: 1
    Options
    Welcome! Rest assured you are not alone. I've only been on this site for 2-1/2 weeks, and I have already lost 7 pounds. You will be amazed at how much better you feel after losing only a little bit of weight. Even if you only walk for a few minutes, it's better than nothing. You're still moving. And pretty soon that few minutes will grow into a longer walk. Every little bit helps. Don't get discouraged!
  • JlSimon22
    JlSimon22 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me too. I always find it more helpful when you have a community of encouraging people with the same goals. There are definitely ways you can do it without having a gym membership. It's one day at a time! Food is a huge part of the battle and then adding in exercise. And if you are like me, in that you know what you should do but find it hard to keep on track sometimes- its so helpful to do it with others and give yourself a break to know it is a life long journey!
  • denisemacris
    Options
    Hi, do not get discouraged, this is a journey and we need to appreciate the good and bad days. I have started walking every day for 30 minutes and it makes a huge difference. I literally walk 15 minutes out and then 15 back wherever I am. It goes by so quick. Just have to make it a habit.
  • JlSimon22
    JlSimon22 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    There are also a lot of free exercise tips online that are helpful.

Here's a good one to start with

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/guide/fitness-beginners-guide
  • AnneSamson
    Options
    Walking is a great exercise so I wouldn't let that get in the way, get out and walk! I have had some success by phasing myself into a change in my lifestyle. First I started exercising regularly. I didn't change anything else, just made myself fit the exercise into my life. I used to be a "I hate exercising" kind of gal but now it is like my drug, I feel soooo good after a workout, its amazing! Another thing I did that really helped was "redesigning" eat meal, one at a time. So I started out by finding some choices (like 2-3) that were healthy, I really liked and kept me full for breakfast and I kept with those choices, adding different choices as I came across ones that met my needs. Then I found some snacks that worked. The lunch, another snack and finally dinner. I expand a little at a time but it helped me a lot to take this approach, I found it a lot more stressful than all of a sudden from this moment on I have to do everything differently. I have been trying to eat a big, big salad for lunch every other day or so which keeps me full for a long time and can be super low in calories if you put it together with mostly veggies and then add a lean protein like chicken or tuna and a low calorie dressing. I also really, really like the Fiber One bars for snacks. To me they are just delicious, low in calories and have the bonus of added fiber!

Anyway, my point is, do what works for you, not what everyone tells you to do. Its very personal. Good luck!
  • tlnurse
    tlnurse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Feel free to friend me....I also need encouragement! Do you have a TV and DVD player? My favorite work-outs are from beachbody.com (Chalean extreme). All you need is that program and hand weights.....it will change you life and your body!
  • Spiritwarrior3000
    Spiritwarrior3000 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I sent you a friend request i really would like to help you lose weight
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I love to walk! Feel free to add me!
  • karenharper88
    Options
    Hi there.. feel free to add me, I need the help too. :)
    There are a lot of weight-loss-oriented exercise programs available on the internet, that don't require any equipment. Some are even free, like these on youtube that I like:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtYgmDEddug
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUieo6Mc9EA&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT09bryb0C4&feature=related
    Good luck!
  • Givingitagdgo
    Options
    I know the feeling and Im new too. Feel free to add me :)
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great way to start. Make small changes slowly. Drink plenty of water. You CAN do this. Feel free to add me.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    You will find lots of encouraging and supportive friends here. If you have Netflix, I believe they have exercise DVDs that you can rent (maybe even watch instantly, but I don't know for sure).
  • MD1Girl
    MD1Girl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Do you have cable? My cable company has fitness on demand. I choose several and workout in the comfort of my own home. They are constantly changing the selections so I don't get in a rut with the same old boring routine. Plus, I'm already paying for it, so why not use it? They have workouts for all fitness levels and it has saved me spending money on a bunch of different workouts I may or may not like. Hang in there! This site is very helpful in helping you track your food and exercise for success. I'm not on the boards much and I don't have many friends on here as I'm relatively new myself.
  • pfdn
    pfdn Posts: 8
    Options
    You don't need any :-) I can't speak for myself, as I'm doing a bit of cardio and weight lifting. However, my sister lost 15kg just dieting and trying to be more active (use the stairs instead of elevator, get out of bus one stop before of after her destiny and walk, etc). Just use your imagination and you'll see the "gym membership" part is just marketing :-)
  • Reginahasdoneit
    Options
    Hey, I have been motivated to just do movement, baby sit-ups, and floor stretches, it is helping me and it is helping motivate me to walk and cut back on my portions. I hope it helps, baby steps helps.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hi Critter, Are you just starting? Have you lost at all? Just realize, you have to increase your activity and decease the total calories that you eat. You will find if you get a notebook and write everything down that you eat everyday and be accurate with the calories. That means no chip, no cookies no donuts or thing like that. You can get your excersise by walking , but as you get into it you have to incease your speed some. Just realize, that for the 1st couple of weeks you won't see any great results, it takes time. But you will be happy as time goes by . The biggest thing, you have to want to lose!!!

Basil
  • angelsingin4jc
    Options
    I lost my fist 20+ lbs "just" walking! My husband and I don't have a gym membership and before we moved into our apartment, we didn't have access to any exercise equipment whatsoever! We started on our journey back at the end of March. We walked at a 3.0-4.0 mph pace for 25-35 minutes a day, 3-4 times a week, at first. I lost 11.9 lbs my first week! I'm now so in shape that I can rock out 40 minutes on the elliptical! (P.S. The elliptical is a total butt-kicker when you first start using it!) Walking is a great way to tone as you go, too! Toning as you lose weight will help (but not eliminate) excess skin! My legs are solid muscle right now due to walking and the elliptical! Seriously! Don't be discouraged! Losing weight doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg!! If you need encouragement, please feel free to add me! I don't have a lot of non-real life friends on my list, but I'd love to change that!
  • angelsingin4jc
    Options
    I'd also like to add that I am still severely overweight (read: obese.) I have my next short term goal (50 lbs) on my weight loss ticker, but my ultimate goal is around 145 lbs lost. Yep. I was/am THAT overweight! Soooo...I'll be on here for a good while! :-)