Dieting and alcohol!

Options
Hello everyone,

I was wondering what effects will drinking alcohol have on my diet and exercise? I have been dieting and exercising for a month and 1 week now, I have lost 15 pounds since then, I know my ticker says i lost 25 pounds but that was before i started exercising and dieting a month ago. I completely cut soda, beer and any sugary drink out of my diet, I only drink water and sometimes I have a cup of 2% milk with my meals. I am very motivated to lose weight and get back into the shape i use to be in. But I find myself really craving beer and a greasy taco every now and then. I guess my question is would drinking a few beers (by few I mean maybe a 12 pack lol!) and eating at a fast food restaurant on the weekends derail my dieting and weight loss?

Please let me know, craving a beer.

Replies

• _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking (hard liquor and beer) for a few months and it helped me lose weight. I realized that it's too hard for me to not drink at all, and now I only drink at parties and limit myself to a maximum of 5 beers.

A few days after I drink my body never drops down in weight. When I don't drink it drops weight (maybe a quarter pound) every few days if I stay away from fast foods, high sodium foods, and alcohol. For me, I try to plan my party days in advance and make up for the calories. Even if I figure in a beer with dinner and it's within my goals I find it very difficult to lose weight a few days after.

You have to find your own path. This is something you're going to have to maintain for the rest of your life if you want to keep the weight off, moderation is key. Can you not drink for the rest of your life? I sure as hell can't! Haha beer is too good!

Good luck to you! :)
  • twoscimitars
    twoscimitars Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

Great article.

My advice: MODERATION. And lots of protein if you know you're going to drink.
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    i notice when i drink like 8 beers everyone on mfp looks thinner and more attractive so i feel iam doing everyone here a favor
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I gave up alcohol myself, but a few drinks here and there shouldn't hurt you. I'm not saying I might not drink in the future but my days of binge drinking are definitely gone.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I do not drink as much as I once did as a fat guy.
    I enjoy wine with a fabulous meal, and an occasional beer with boiled shrimp, but booze is NOT a part of my life.
    And people trying to lose weight who abuse alcohol? Forget it.
    We can have most anything we want in life but NOT everything.
    Nobody can booze it up and expect to achieve optimal health.
    That's reality.
    Moderation is key.
  • GabrielleZelda
    GabrielleZelda Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    bump for later! :)
  • rmarshalla
    rmarshalla Posts: 103 Member
    Options

Great article.

^^^^ THIS. :) exactly.
  • rmarshalla
    Options
    i notice when i drink like 8 beers everyone on mfp looks thinner and more attractive so i feel iam doing everyone here a favor

HAHAHhahah xD
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    +100

It's funny because it's true. Gotta love the Beer goggles.
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options

Great article.

This was very helpful! Thanks for sharing.
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels says "it's either booze or abs" haha. I quit drinking a couple years ago - it's ridiculously hard and I wouldn't necessarily recommend it.

I think a couple (meaning 1 or 2) drinks every now and then definitely is not going to hurt you get amazing results as long as you take it into account when you're counting calories - but anything more than that (like binge drinking every weekend) probably won't do you any favors...
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly fine as long as you don't go over on calories AND meet sufficient macronutrient goals
    Read the Leangains article, you'd be surprised. A small amount of alcohol can also cut down on appetite long term

Max benefit from drinking tops off at 2oz (pure alcohol) per day, so that's the limit I always stick to. Just make sure you know your percentages!
  • jgunn81
    jgunn81 Posts: 243 Member
    Options

/thread :laugh:
  • shellyscott0804
    shellyscott0804 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

HAHA!! We appreciate your sacrifice or rather eight or so sacrifices that you make to help us look better.
  • trishobr
    trishobr Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • marnet12
    marnet12 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Funny this came up. I purchased one bottle of beer at the store today. It's amazingly hot here and I'm doing yard work this evening. I rarely drink, but it looked so good, I couldn't help myself. Now my question:

Do I log Corona Lite in dinner or snacks?
  • rmarshalla
    Options
    Just to put some real info on this board about dieting and alcohol though...

Alcohol "shuts down your metabolism, promotes fat storage and breaks down muscle tissue. It’s basically treated by the body as a toxin… If you’re serious about getting in shape, not drinking won’t be a problem." (http://muffintop-less.tumblr.com/BeginnerFitness).

True story. :)
    I gave up most drinking, but allow myself 1-2 drinks 2x weekly if needed. Nothing sugary if I can help it at all because alcohol converts to sugar in your system anyway.

I will drink a 1 ounce (~1 shot) of plain Vodka (65calories) with soda water with lime/lemon (NOT tonic water! That's worse than Coca Cola!!). Or you can use fresh squeezed (did it yourself) juice (orange/grapefruit). Or those no calorie flavored sparkling waters from the store (but I don't like those because they're full of chemicals... = bad!).

Good luck!
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Funny this came up. I purchased one bottle of beer at the store today. It's amazingly hot here and I'm doing yard work this evening. I rarely drink, but it looked so good, I couldn't help myself. Now my question:

Does Corona Lite go in dinner or snacks?

Yes. Yes it does.
  • HungerGame82
    HungerGame82 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Bahaaaahaaa. I just laughed so hard. Thank you for that, I needed it. And I just burned a couple calories. ;)
  • HungerGame82
    HungerGame82 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    In honesty, I just learned the hard way that alcohol and calorie deficits are NOT friends. I drank a beer a couple of weeks ago and about 45 minutes later my blood sugar crashed so hard. Lesson: Make sure you've had adequate nutrition during the day if you're going to drink at night.