200 pound fitness instructor ...

Options
... is one of my fitspirations! Anowa says, "I'm not going to let these people discourage me and make me feel like I'm not a beautiful person."

"Anowa has created a exercise regimen that focuses on "losing the weight, but keeping the curves"! Anowa is fighting to create an avenue for more curvier women in the health and fitness arena. Anowa wants to Emphasize Fitness based on Health and not on Numbers!!"

YES! THIS!

The clip is a must see for all the ladies who want to drop the weight but keep the curves!

http://youtu.be/KPgmhKUJ03Y

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    That's great, but the number way you can reduce health related issues is to LOWER your weight in proportion to your frame.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • 2FattyXFatty4
    2FattyXFatty4 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    ^ *ROLLS EYES*
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    anowa is another one of my inspirations.. definitely a she hulk!!

i love her video where she cracks open the watermelon between her thighs.

in any case, she's a good example that fitness is more about being fit rather than a number on a scale.
  • 2FattyXFatty4
    2FattyXFatty4 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    AMEN, Mesha! She is amazing. Numbers don't mean s*** when you are fit!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I could probably crack a watermelon open with my thighs, and I'm really weak right now.

I definitely agree that numbers don't matter when you're fit. Of course, your numbers are going to be awesome once you are fit. You just need to get there first.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    To each his or her own, but I'd never hire a fat fitness instructor.
    I see great value in people who have actually achieved peak fitness - not quit on themselves, then make it out like some virtue.
    Again, just an opinion.
    Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    i might not be abole to crack a watermelon but i can pinch a loaf um err of bread
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Loved it! She definitely smashes the idea that being thin and stick framed is the only true healthy way to be woman. She is beautiful, looks amazing, and stronger than any men I know!
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    I could probably crack a watermelon open with my thighs, and I'm really weak right now.

I definitely agree that numbers don't matter when you're fit. Of course, your numbers are going to be awesome once you are fit. You just need to get there first.
    well then let's see the video, boo :laugh:

a real sized watermelon too, not a personal sized one...
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    In one of her videos she stated she really wanted to get involved in gymnastics as a child but couldn't due to her tall stature. Despite this, I'd say she managed to build a very beautiful, strong and curvy gymnast-like physique through her years of training.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    5'10" 200LBS. She seems pretty muscular.
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    I see great value in people who have actually achieved peak fitness - not quit on themselves, then make it out like some virtue.
    Again, just an opinion.

did you watch the video? she's definitely not fat
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I'm so on the fence about numbers. My nutritionist doesn't care what I weigh as long as I'm healthy. This means healthy eating only and then because of that I'm losing inches. I am smaller than I have been in 23 years, but still not as light as I was 10 years ago. I mean, a size 10 was never an option for me, but I wear it, and yet because of my weight shows that I'm morbidly obese.

numbers aren't as important as your general fitness and well being. Yes those numbers can be risk identifiers, however any good Dr will say that it is more important that you are doing something.. than nothing at all.

ignore numbers, focus on healthy change.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Again, just an opinion.

All respects Bobby, but did you watch that video? Just the first 30 seconds, the rest is interview stuff. That woman is a beast and hardly what I would call fat.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I read an article the other day that said research shows people that lose weight are destined to regain most of it back and that the aim should be striving to be healthy at a larger size than worrying about getting thin.

Do I think its a good philosophy? It can be if you can be happy heavier but healthier. Me? I would rather try to buck the odds and get slim. Just a stubborn old lady here. ;D
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    That's great, but the number way you can reduce health related issues is to LOWER your weight in proportion to your frame.

IDEA Fitness member

Niner is right. Overall body fat is directly correlated with health so those "curves" can contribute to potential health related issues. And if you really want curves, lift weights
  • kaymarie78
    kaymarie78 Posts: 104
    Options
    She's probably one of the sexiest women I've ever seen! And I love that she said she feels blessed to be able to help women be confident and feel good about themselves. She's definitely my kind of inspiration!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

You can roll your eyes all you want, but he is right. Most women refer to their fat as their curves. All that extra fat is not healthy.
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    I read an article the other day that said research shows people that lose weight are destined to regain most of it back and that the aim should be striving to be healthy at a larger size than worrying about getting thin.

Do I think its a good philosophy? It can be if you can be happy heavier but healthier. Me? I would rather try to buck the odds and get slim. Just a stubborn old lady here. ;D

i think people need to take their body type and current body composition into account. if you look at her she's at a healthy body fat % so the only way she could lose any significant amount of weight is by losing LBM.

i dont see how it's better to lose LBM just to fit in on someone arbitrary scale definition of healthy.

so yeah most people can get slimmer, but what happens when you reach where you should be in terms of boy fat percentage?
  • meshashesha2012
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

You can roll your eyes all you want, but he is right. Most women refer to their fat as their curves. All that extra fat is not healthy.

i think she rolled her eyes because like you, he seems to not have watched the video and made a comment based on the thread title alone without really taking the time to actually i dunno, LOOK?

where exactly is this extra fat you all see on this woman?