Kick up the backside needed. PLEASE?

Options
Hi Everyone,

Sorry to bring a downer to things..

I started in my attempt to lose weight a couple of months ago.. and have lost abit.. (not sure exactly how much as I didn't start MFP until a few weeks ago and was not weighing myself before.) I was 362Lbs when I started MFP

I was really motivated and working hard, the food part is what I've always found the hardest so I was working hard to make sure I went to my work gym a few times a week! things were going great but then I lost my job a couple of weeks ago because I had lots of time off because i had pneumonia a couple of times.. so I can't go to the gym anymore - sometimes I can still get in depending on the staff but also i've gone from having a full time physical job in a hospital to sitting at home. I was referred to a programme at the work gym where I got 1/2 hour of personal training a week and having this was a really good motivator because I HAD to go at least for that session but then I had the support and encouragement of my personal trainer which motivated me to do extra.

I know I can go walking etc but im just finding it so hard to do ANYTHING! and my diet has become shocking again. I'm sitting here sobbing feeling pathetic and full of self-loathing. Everything was going well and now I feel hopeless. I am having real trouble finding a job and have no savings or money so I'm just sat alone in my house everyday.

I really need to get back on track - and I just don't know how - any advice?

:cry:

Replies

• ichellebereel
    ichellebereel Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I understand totally how you feel and what you are going through. I hope I can encourage you. I have be unemployed for over a year. I have a hearing disability in which I have been on interviews after interviews but once they notice how severe my hearing loss is, then I get some cotton picking story that they are looking for someone with more experience. Also I suffer with blood clots, I have had 3 in my lung and 4 in my legs and I limited to sitting and standing. I applied for SSI and they said because I have had at that time a few college course that I can find a part time job in which no one is going to hire me if I can't sit for no longer than 2 hours nor stand on my feet for 2 hour, I have I have borrow for peter to pay paul and now they have ran out. I have an intent to foreclose on my house and I can go on on but I just told you this to let you know you are not in this by yourself. I cried and cried but it didn't get me anywhere but heavier. I"ve learned, I can't worry about nothing I can't change. I have been really movtivated since being on here. I have gotten so many wonderful suggestions and I'm sure you will as well. Live for today and let tomorrow take can of it self.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    People can offer you encouragement and inspiration but true motivation is all internal.
    We either have that drive or need to find a way to ignite it.

To light that fire, be honest, and answer for yourself:
    Why do I want to be healthy and fit? Discover the real answer, and attach great pleasure to that as you set your goals.
    Feel and experience that joy when you think of being healthy and fit.

And then ask yourself why do you NOT want to be fat?
    Connect with that reason burning pain that you can really feel every time you think about being fat.

This is the key to internal motivation.
    Few people can actually do this which is why most people fail in their efforts over and over.
    Take the time to do this, and you'll touch off a powder keg of determination and drive.
    Sure, you may have challenges; we all do, but you'll keep punching and reach your goals.

All Is Possible!
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Good advice above! Focus on the things you CAN change... eating habits, exercise, etc... Let the other things work out as they will. I know how losing a job can be devastating. Best of luck to you! You can do THIS for YOU!
  • twiztc
    twiztc Posts: 135
    Options
    I feel for you I really do, sometimes life kicks the crap out of us and its sometimes hard to cope.

Keeping up with exercise really helps with keeping depression at bay even if its just putting on you favorite banging tunes and giving it big licks with your dance moves.

you may also want to see a doctor to make sure depression isnt a real problem.. if so get help professional help as you wont be able to kick start your life again with a big black cloud over head.

just keep chipper try to eat lots of good clean food and try to have fun with you workouts.
    there is lots you can do at home and there are lots of people on these forums that have more expert advice.

you dont need to be rich to keep fit and healthy

Best of luck
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    We all face challenges along the way, but it's up to you to make positive changes happen in your life. I am proof that you can lose weight while facing financial and emotional challenges. My husband is ill and hasn't been able to work in over 8 months. His continuing health problems with no end in sight have caused extreme stress in our lives. There are other things happening in our lives that I won't go into detail about here, but suffice it to say that they are putting even more of a strain on me both financially and emotionally. All of these things are out of my control, BUT I can choose how I let them affect me. Instead of diving into the 'fridge head first, I am choosing to control the one thing I can and that's what I eat. I can't afford a gym membership either, but I've been exercising at home for almost a year. It's amazing how many calories you can burn without a professional trainer if you choose to get up and move.

Please understand that I'm in no way trying to minimize what you're going through. I recently went through a bad patch where I was letting food control me again. I've kicked myself in the butt now though and am once again dedicated to being healthy and fit. YOU can do this!! And no amount of kicks up the backside from others is going to do it for you.

Good luck in your journey....with weight loss, finding a job, and pulling yourself out of your current funk.:smile:
  • LimaMikeJuliet
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I know I CAN do it... Just got to get back into a exercise routine - which obviously helps with mood and gives your day some structure. I know that no one can do this for me.. I have just found that occaisionally leaning on the MFP community can keep things going rather than quitting, believe me i don't blame anyone else for my weight and I know only I can do something about it. This is the longest I've ever stuck to my efforts so I am doing better already just having a rubbish day.

thank you again!

P.S if anyone has any tips on exercise that I can do at home (don't have a garden), I DO have a gym ball thing - then please feel free to add them.

xx
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    how about something simple - if you are eating sugar, stop. it messes some people up. seriously if you are in to sugar just try :-)
    good luck.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    The better you look, the better you'll feel.....so you're taking the right step by coming here and hopefully things will fall into place in your life.

I'm not big on exercising, never was and am looking for things I can do while at home & affordable to buy. I picked up a jump rope and a small kettlebell and just ordered a hula hoop off eBay, all inexpensive exercise toys that you can do anyplace. Tons of youtube videos on all 3 of these activities if you don't want to buy the dvds.
  • Ninatoots
    Ninatoots Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hello friend, I don't have much , but I know even when you fail you can get back up, and don't give up! With each pound you lose you'll feel better and better, "just know this"! I've lived in poverty like in tents with an out-house for a toilet. Even then I was happy. :love:

Hugs, Nina
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    The only way i can get myself back in the wagon is to take Baby steps. Thats how i first started, and it really works when ive been completely derailed.

Decide to do one small thing that is positive, like walk in place in front of the tv set for 10 minutes. Then pat yourself on the back for doing it. Then tomorrow, set a goal to do one small thing again, maybe this time eating less of something that you would normally have, achieve it, pat yourself on the back, and plan another positive thing for the next day.

Don't beat yourself up for where you've been, just decide, here and now, that you WiLL make small changes. :flowerforyou: No kicking necessary.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I agree with surf. Focus on ne thing. Then one mre thing. Take it one day at a time. It gets better. Don't give up now.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I know I CAN do it... Just got to get back into a exercise routine - which obviously helps with mood and gives your day some structure. I know that no one can do this for me.. I have just found that occaisionally leaning on the MFP community can keep things going rather than quitting, believe me i don't blame anyone else for my weight and I know only I can do something about it. This is the longest I've ever stuck to my efforts so I am doing better already just having a rubbish day.

thank you again!

P.S if anyone has any tips on exercise that I can do at home (don't have a garden), I DO have a gym ball thing - then please feel free to add them.

xx

Here's my favorite body weight circuit workout routine. It's simple and effective. Best of all, you can do it anywhere.

http://www.vicmagary.com/blog/training-program-for-beginners/#more-5261

I have been doing this for a few months and have made huge gains in strength, cardiovascular fitness and inches lost.

Good luck!
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are having a really tough time but don't give up. You have come too far to give up, and let this event wreck your progress. You do not need their gym anyway, you can make up your own exercise plan and that will give you a focus as well when you are at home. You can walk, and work yourself up to walking longer and longer distances. At home, you can jog on the spot, do sit ups, pushups, various leg swings, arm rotations and all sorts. Just do a search on youtube or online for exercises and I am sure you will find plenty you can do. I often jog on the spot while waiting for the kettle to boil. Try to get up every 30 mins when you are at home sitting around, and just move about a bit. That will help.

Find another way beyond food to channel your feelings...write a journal, or poetry or songs, listen to music, watch a movie, or workout whenever you feel the urge to eat bad stuff instead of doing the eating. Take a book and have a hot bath or just lay in bed reading for a bit when the urge to eat a lot strikes. Use your time to research all forms of healthy eating and various ways of eating, and come up with a plan that you can stick to, allowing a few treats here and there, if they wont trigger binges and the like. Use your time to really study food and to look into cooking healthy meals for yourself, that way you are being constructive while waiting for something else to come along.

Most of all, big hugs to you and hoping you feel better soon and can pull yourself up out of this rut.