I'm a bit sad tonight

Options
I know this is a journey, I understand that. I look at all of my progress, I was a size 14 US, and I am currently a 10. I know I've made progress and it's great. But, I still feel like I have such a long way to go. There are so many people who are smaller and in better shape than I am without exercising or trying (bc I see what they eat and their lack of exercise) and to be honest its just so hard to for me to take sometimes. Call it jealousy, or pity for myself but its really difficult for me when I know that I have to try so hard when some people do not have to put forth as much effort. I love working out, and I love seeing a good day with regard to my diet but I just wish I could have quicker results. I think too my mind isn't as quick to catch up with the progress I've made so even when I have done well my mind tells me there's no change :frown:
I guess I'm just down and wanted to vent.

Replies

• kini324
    kini324 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! Getting healthy is a long and constant journey! I've been living my new lifestyle for over 18 months now. It's totally ok to feel down about how far you want to go. Vent away!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I dont know if it will help but I am just getting into US size 16's and I also have a LONG way to go. I cant worry about what other people are doing or how far they have come or how much less than me they have to lose. I have enough to do thinking about ME. :) Sure, sometimes I get a little jealous but then I remember that THOSE people were me at one time. I could say what if I had started sooner...I might be done now. Well, I didnt and I am not. But I am on my way and nothing is going to stop me. I am going to be another one of those success stories one day. So remember that I would LOVE to be a size 10 right now, but I will get there....and you will get where YOU are going, too!
  • teriann1979
    teriann1979 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Keep your head up RedHead, you're doing great. I wish I was making as much progress as you have already, I am longing for a day when I can leave the size 14's fully behind and see a 10, I've accepted that it will take some time. Some days it's tough but you're making it and you will keep on making it.:flowerforyou: Feel free to add me if you need encouragement.
  • jennifer907
    jennifer907 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way a lot but I saw a quote once that "comparison is the thief of joy." It really doesn't matter that other people are blessed with faster metabolisms while we have to work harder. Some people are skinny but they are far from healthy. In a way we are the lucky ones because we are a lot more conscious of our nutrition. When you have to work for something, you appreciate it more.

I do know how you feel but it's important to just take things slow and steady. Yes we could drop our calorie intake down and lose faster but would you really be happy? I wouldn't be because I would be starving. And another thing that I think about is that my goal weight is not some magic number that will make me happy. Yes, I will feel amazing after getting there but there are so many accomplishments we see along the way. I just try to be aware of how I am changing almost daily, even though the weight loss isn't a lot yet, I *feel* better and I know the rest will come. You will definitely get there too and just know that you are not alone. Try to think of how far you've come, instead of how much you have left. It will get easier. :)
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    do the best you can do, and some people loss weight faster then others, dont let that bother you, also you may be losing inches oppose to losing weight which is ok
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Thanks girls. I was in a skirt today and had chub rub:sad:
    If that didn't make me feel fat.....
    Lol, I hear ya though, yes I wanted to be a 10 when I was a 14, so I def get that. Perspective perhaps?
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    "comparison is the thief of joy."
    I love this.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Totally understand your reaction to this. But, I'm focused on two things you said. You love working out and you like a good day with your food. These things tell me you're on the path to reach your goal AND stay there. The others who phone it in and think just low cals is enough are very likely to regain weight.

You have all the time in the world to get to your goal. Just work hard, don't get discouraged. You'll get there.

Best of luck to you. You deserve it.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I understand...I hate that my super skinny friends are pretty much naturally that way. They don't eat like pigs or anything but they clearly don't really have to watch at all. I always say the healthiest eaters are usually people that used to be fat (not that a 14 is that fat)! I'm a 10 also and I still feel so big- I'm only really trying to get to a 6 though, so when I think about it that way, it's not a huge amount left to go.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I love this.

Me too!!
    This is what I love about MFP. Everyone is so encouraging, no judgement here! :happy:
    I already feel better.
  • antonio823
    antonio823 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I love this.

I second this because although you feel your journey is/has been more difficult you have to realize that in the end you are not only improving your image but your long term health as well. I've learned that just because someone looks great on the outside doesn't necessarily mean they don't have unseen health issues. Continue on the path you're on (going from a 14 to a 10 is great!) and try not to compare yourself to others because it really does minimize the pride you should feel toward your own accomplishments.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Great job so far! It IS hard sometimes not to compare, but try to remember how far you've come. I don't post pictures here, but I have my own before/after pics on my computer, to remind me. I've lost 34 lbs but over a long period of time (3 years) and no one really notices at work, or anywhere. But I am much healthier, and my clothes fit much better, even some in smaller (than before) sizes.

So, be proud of yourself what you've done so far. And, remember we're all cheering you on!
  • MNguerita
    MNguerita Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Agreed! If you must compare something, compare yourself now to how you used to be!
  • tljacob
    tljacob Posts: 28
    Options
    can totally relate to what your going through!!!! I've been on this journey for the past 2 years and, although successful, things have definately slowed down... to say the least, ITS DISCOURAGING!!! but when I think about going back to eating that way and skimping on my exercise, I also think about how I looked and the way i felt.... it was HORRIBLE and I don't want to be back there.

Keep your eye on the prize and your mindset positive. You've come so far and have a wonderful road ahead! keep it up Girl!!!
  • heretoloseit95
    Options
    i totally understand you !! I have many skinny friends who eat like crap everyday and it bugs the hell out of me!.. you may not be skinnier than them but you're definitely healthier.. never feel sad for doing the right thing. You're taking a huge step towards a better future and that should always motivate you.. If you're about to fall off the wagon for the day, slow down a bit, have a little treat or work out a little less for that day and that should help you to stay on track for the rest of the week :) good luck friend, you can do this = )