Cognitive Therapy? Anyone else try it?

Options
So in addition to selecting a healthy diet and excercise program, I am doing a 6 week Cognitive Therapy program to help identify & improve eating habbits, eating triggers, and make the behavioral changes. Its the Beck program and I am using the Beck Weightloss Workbook. So I have just finished week 1.

I was told that you can use any diet or exercise program but to loose large amounts of weight and keep it off you have to change the behavior also.

Just wanted to get feedback from people if they have used any other behavior modification programs in addition to diet and exercise?

Replies

• krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I'd be very interested in trying this... My only personal concern is my ability to follow through... How was week one?
  • clamoreaux2012
    Options
    Week one wasn't bad. Although its hard to evaluate yourself honestly, to look at your thinking process when it comes to deciding to eat something. One of the projects this week was changing how I eat, AKA "being mindful of what I am putting in my mouth". It has been the thing I have struggled with the most. It makes you slow down when you eat (giving your body more time to register when you are actually full) and thinking about what I am putting in my mouth. So you can't pick up more food with your fork until what you have eaten is chewed and swallowed. Then you have to set down your fork and take a sip of water ever few minutes. I never realized how fast I was eating (which can lead to over eating since it doesn't give time for your body to register it is full before I over ate). It felt like it took forever for me to get through a bowl of oatmeal yesterday!

So far I think its been a good program for me. I was hoping other people have used behavior modification programs with their diet and exercise plan to see how the results were for them. I have 5 weeks to go on my program which is a workbook someone told me about that I picked up from Barnes & Noble.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I liked that book. The program seems well-regarded. I haven't used beh. mod. for weight loss but I've used it successfully for other things, like quitting smoking 10 years ago. Well, I do try to practice mindful eating like you described. It takes some effort, doesn't it? I think I tune out just SO I can eat more! If I tune in I get full quickly.
  • Billybea
    Billybea Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    So happy
    I came across this post
    It sounds perfect for me
    Can you do this one line?
    I've been an emotional eater lately
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I'm a Rehabilitation Major [Im focusing on Addiction Counseling] with a Psych minor...Give Cog Therapy a try..it works for a lot of people...There are of course those who completely hate it...Just TRY to keep an open mind & give therapy an actual shot...The worst that can happen is, it completely fails, the best that can happen, it changes your life. BE HONEST...BE OPEN...DONT BE AFRAID...just be YOU. See how it goes...
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Yes, I definitely believe that in order to lose weight long term, you have to change your behavior. And in order to change your behavior, you need to change your motivation.

Yes, I'm participated in Cognative Therapy, but it was because my Psychologist practices that. I learned just that........tools to help change bad or unhealthy behaviors.
  • clamoreaux2012
    Options
    I don't know if they have an online version of the workbook, I would recommend just getting the book though cause you have to write in it and there are index cards in the back to cut out.

So far I like it, because obviously I haven't sticked with other diet & exercise plans cause I didn't change the behavior. Some of the exercises are hard.