Calling all college students!

Options
After my first year of college I gained a lot of weight! Since I live on campus there are so many temptations (My college always has free food like pizza, ice cream, etc)

Any other college students out there so we can encourage eachother?

Replies

• desi9837
    desi9837 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hola!
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I'm going into my senior year. I live off campus though.
  • SolarLibra
    SolarLibra Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yo!
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I'm going into my final year of undergraduate studies this year. i feel your pain! i always pack my lunches and snacks now. it saves me money and it's always healthier.
  • StephStepByStep
    StephStepByStep Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow collegee students :)

I'm going into my sophomore year, but this year I won't have a meal plan and will have to make my own meals so I think I will be able to make better choices and continue with my weight loss!
  • Storey621
    Storey621 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first year of college as well. It was defnitely hard and I gained about twenty five pounds. I live off campus and I can't afford a gym membership so I'm trying to push myself to do at home work outs. We can defnitely help each other!!
  • AnnaKRowe
    AnnaKRowe Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm a rising junior in college and I know exactly what you mean! I went into college weighing a lot less than I do now. It takes a lot of will power to not eat all the unhealthy foods around and find time to go to the gym! I need all the help I can get!
  • StephStepByStep
    Options
    Exactly! Great to find people that can relate. Sad thing is, we have gyms in the basement of our dorm buildings and I still didn't go very often. This year I want to change that. We can do it :)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Student here! (Though soon-to-be graduate)
  • Kitiara47
    Kitiara47 Posts: 235
    Options
    I'm going into my senior year. Living off campus has help a LOT! Good luck!
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Going into my freshman year! I'm not going to live on campus, though, so I'm hoping that that will help me avoid the freshman 15
  • Restlessme
    Restlessme Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm the exact proof of how to gain weight at college! I gained about 30-40 pounds during my first year.
    Feel free to add me :)
  • Elite4LifeDono
    Options
    Chiropractic Student, gained 50+ lbs in undergrad!
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    same here, i gained 15 lbs in my first year, i struggled to lose all that weight for 6 months... and i would like to get fit (i mean, i am 21, when am i gonna be fit if not now??)
    i have this problem though, i study abroad and i can't cook so i always eat out in restaurants (i barely do that when i'm at home, my mom always cooks, so on my first year i was very excited about eating out all the time)
    i want to change that from september! i wanna learn how to cook and make healthy meals at home!
    also booze is my big problem, i go out at least twice a week and... well you know the rest of the story :)
    so let's support each other!!
  • matthej28
    matthej28 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm going into my junior year and I know how it is!!!! My dining courts have SUCH delicious food and buffet-styled too!!! I didn't gain the freshman 15, but I did gain like the freshman 8!! And sophomore year I lost like no weight, even though I was going to the gym almost everyday. This summer I'm getting myself into order, and when I get back I have to completely re-evaluate what I eat (still on a meal plan this year)!! Oh and feel free to add me!
  • dianaconqueso
    Options
    I find that the best way for me to resist the temptation (Moe's, Chick-Fil-A, and Papa John's all within walking distance of my office) is to make it more convenient for me to eat healthy than not healthy. I buy groceries once a week and measure out individual portions of foods that I can grab when I'm hungry (usually nuts, fresh veggies/salads, etc.). I also do this for my lunch stuff every day so it's always easy to pack in the morning before I leave, although I gather that you live in a dormitory. Personally, spending an hour or so each week doing food prep helps me stay healthy all week, because I recognize how easy and CHEAP!!! it can be to keep a healthy diet.

If you live on a big campus, make an effort to walk instead of catching a bus to the other side of campus. I actually lost weight when I first got to college just because I walked so much. And always take the stairs. And make sure to drink enough water, especially if you're drinking caffeine to stay up late studying!
  • SouthernCurves
    SouthernCurves Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't want to even think about the weight I gained my Freshman year! It's off and more is shedding so I don't want to look back! Feel free to add me, sweethearts!
  • theblackbirdtree
    Options
    make it more convenient for me to eat healthy than not healthy. I buy groceries once a week and measure out individual portions of foods that I can grab when I'm hungry.
    spending an hour or so each week doing food prep helps me stay healthy all week, because I recognize how easy and CHEAP!!! it can be

walk instead of catching a bus to the other side of campus.
    And always take the stairs.

This is the best information for all students struggling to lose/maintain weight and be healthy.

My two cents is become involved with other healthy students-- they exist. Take a class (if you can) in Nutrition or Yoga, or make friends with the students that use the gym on campus!
  • StephStepByStep
    Options
    My second semester of college last year I took a Zumba class and Aerobics class, which was really cool! I also got class credit for them! Exercising for class credit is a big motivation for me (especially because you could only miss 2 classes before you loose credit!)
  • Nicci93
    Nicci93 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I am also a sophomore in college =D Feel free to add me!!