Can someone explain!

Options
I honestly don't understand something. I don't understand how someone can gain 10 pounds in a month when they burn at lease 3000 extra calories on Friday Saturday and Sunday. I eat fairly healthy, some times fast food, but relatively well. I used to not work out but recently I have been sticking to it. But last month I gained about 10 pounds while working (waitress) on Friday, Saturday and Sunday for about 30 hours in the 3 days, burning upwards of 4000 extra calories in those 3 days. I don't understand why those calories wouldn't put me at maintenance, or even losing deficits.
Please
Thanks!!

Replies

• KaidaKantri
    KaidaKantri Posts: 401
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? are you eating back your exercise cals? It could be that your eating to few. I know this is weird, but I didn't eat my exercise cals, gained 1 lb, stayed the same, started eating my exercise cals and started losing again.
  • Samantha020691
    Options
    The days that I work I don't eat enough to sustain those calories so I eat a little more during the week. I know thats bad but I cant help it if i'm working a double
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Are you accurately and honestly logging everything that is passing through your mouth?

Are you weighing every day? Are you accounting for normal body weight fluctuations throughout the day?

It's not wizardry, to gain 10 solid pounds that isn't necessary just water retention something is going on.
  • Carissamr
    Carissamr Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Without being able to see your diary it's hard to tell...do you think you are building more muscle, because muscle weighs a lot more than fat...also what setting did you set your activity level at...if you accounted for your job in your activity level then I believe, and I may be wrong, that you can't count those calories as burnt calories...they are already accounted for...also what is your sodium intake
  • rocketpopsicles
    Options
    Some may be weight from eating, some may be muscle toning, Some may just be that you are a GIRL!

AND YOUR HUMAN.

The body is a crazy thing, just don't let it get you down!
  • rocketpopsicles
    Options
    And with the girl thing - I ALWAYS gain 4 pounds for that one week a month, and it never comes off until a week after. Just the way my body works.
  • rohantyagi
    Options
    stress and sleep deprivation is also a main cause of weight gain , try to eliminate stress by doing some meditation and sleeping for at least 6 - 8 hrs a day.
  • Samantha020691
    Options
    My activity level is set at sedentary so i can count it. I try to not go over 1200 a day even though I will admit it happens sometimes.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't understand something. I don't understand how someone can gain 10 pounds in a month when they burn at lease 3000 extra calories on Friday Saturday and Sunday. I eat fairly healthy, some times fast food, but relatively well. I used to not work out but recently I have been sticking to it. But last month I gained about 10 pounds while working (waitress) on Friday, Saturday and Sunday for about 30 hours in the 3 days, burning upwards of 4000 extra calories in those 3 days. I don't understand why those calories wouldn't put me at maintenance, or even losing deficits.
    Please
    Thanks!!
    How do you know the calories you're burning working? You need to log the calories you eat.
  • chris1816
    Options
    Without being able to see your diary it's hard to tell...do you think you are building more muscle, because muscle weighs a lot more than fat...also what setting did you set your activity level at...if you accounted for your job in your activity level then I believe, and I may be wrong, that you can't count those calories as burnt calories...they are already accounted for...also what is your sodium intake

Let's think about that sentence.

Muscle weighs more than fat.....a pound weighs more than a pound?

Muscle is more dense yes, but weight is still the same. More importantly the most that a man can gain while on a caloric surplus and actively working at it is half a pound of muscle a week. For women it is much, much slower, they simply cannot build muscle mass quickly and in any large amount without practically mainlining horse testosterone.
  • Samantha020691
    Options
    I do log the calories I eat, and I wore a HRM on a typical night and day. On average its about 1200 calories a day.
  • chris1816
    Options
    I do log the calories I eat, and I wore a HRM on a typical night and day. On average its about 1200 calories a day.

Probably could stand to eat a bit more as far as daily calories, also start weight lifting yesterday.

Read this, top to bottom:

http://4chanfit.wikia.com/wiki/Harsh's_Worksheet_(WIP)
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    That doesn't make since to me, you wore a HRM all day and while you slept and it said that you burned 1200 calories? If you want something to wear like that you could try a fitbit or something like that, cause you are burning more that 1200 calories in 24 hours.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I gained five pounds nearly overnight because I had nearly 4 grams of salt in a day. Without using a salt shaker. It should go as quickly as it came.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Are you accurately and honestly logging everything that is passing through your mouth?

Are you weighing every day? Are you accounting for normal body weight fluctuations throughout the day?

It's not wizardry, to gain 10 solid pounds that isn't necessary just water retention something is going on.

this^^^ Unless Hermione is hiding in your closet :P