How to cut out the sweets??

Options
I would really like to cut sweets out of my diet such as cookies and candy but im finding it really hard to do so! It was really easy for me to cut out sodas and energy drinks because I noticed a big difference in my endurance while running when I didnt drink them! Alot of the time though I get a rediculous sweet tooth and need something sweet! Does anyone have any ideas on what to have when I really need something sweet that isnt cookies or candy? Or ways maybe someone was able to cut out the sweets?!

Replies

• avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I struggle with sweets too but since you're running the extra carbs are ok, you need your blood glucose raised to sustain your energy for that run. But try cutting down the portions: if serving size is 5cookies eat them throughout the day instead of in one sitting or only eat half the serving size thus cutting half the calories. Keep eating smaller portions until you slowly cut them out of your diet completely. Another thing is to drink a glass of water when your craving hits, wait five-ten minutes if after that you still want that candy have it and log it in as your snack, if you forget you were wanting to eat it or realize you can wait until later great!!! If that doesn't work then brush your teeth, you know how gross stuff tastes when you eat something after brushing your teeth and you won't want to ruin your minty-fresh breath :) hope this helps.
  • mrshoneybee
    mrshoneybee Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If I try to cut out sugar, it usually takes just 3 days, and then I don't crave it any more. It is amazing how sweet fruit and other things taste after you haven't had it for a while. An old Weight Watchers trick was to eat a dill pickle (not sweet pickle), and it will help to curb that sweet craving. I know it sounds funny, but it really works! :-) When you're having a craving, even if fruit doesn't sound good, if you can just get yourself to eat that first bit of fruit, it usually works to get you through it. :-)
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I get Snackwell's 100 Calorie chocolate fudge cookie packs, or Jello's double chocolate sugar free 60 calorie puddings.

What I did to shake the sugar cravings: get a package of oreo cookies (or whatever kind of cookies you like, I sometimes did this with girl scout cookies!) and separate them by portion into little plastic bags. On the bag, write the calories and whatever macros you care about on it (I did calories and carbs). Then, when you find you need a fix, grab one bag and enjoy! I found that after awhile I didn't want to cut my calories that close, so I wouldn't indulge, and because the package wasn't there in front of me, I knew that the end of the bag was the end of the treat. Hope that helps!
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    If you switch to fruits, you can eat almost as much as you want. For about the same calories as a 12-ounce can of Coke, you can eat about 30 cherries, 25 strawberries, or 2 whole oranges.
    If you still want processed sweets, artificially sweetened are the way to go.