Breakfast! Can I get away with not eating it?!

Options
Seriously, I HATE having to eat breakfast.

I know, I know, I know it slows metabolism should you skip it, but I feel so ill when I eat in the morning.

Is there any way of boosting metabolism without eating straight off or anything better to consume for breakfast that isn't going to make me feel like my belly is the size of a peanut and starts at the back of my throat!

I'm fine with my coffee but food... *shakes head* wouldn't mind if I could adopt that attitude to snacks or dinner as then I wouldn't be the size of a small country!

Thanks for your help in advance folks!

Marie xx

Replies

• MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I don't think your body really cares when you eat from a weight loss point of view - if you're eating less than you use, you should lose. If you eat all of your cals in one meal at 7pm, or in 7 meals starting at 5am it doesn't make much difference to your body (although I find that waiting until 7pm makes me very hungry and grumpy LOL)

The whole "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" and "those who eat breakfast lose more than those who don't" thing is about people skipping breakfast then snacking on unhealthy stuff because they are hungry. If you don't feel hungry until (say) 10am - eat breakfast then!
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I never eat breakfast, very rarely eat during the day and consume most of my calories around 9pm and I've lost the weight I intended to and am still losing (when I chose to).
    If you're not hungry and don't want to eat then why should you? Maybe have something a bit later in the morning, say 10.30am to keep you going until your first meal?
  • auriaya
    auriaya Posts: 4
    Options
    What makes you think skipping breakfast slows your metabolism? You don't have to eat breakfast at breakfast time if you don't want to. Just don't skip those calories/nutrients entirely, just consume them later in the day.

VVV edit: the original poster.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Who said that?
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    UGH! Breakfast!!
    Nope, don't eat it. Haven't in the last 20 years.
    Just can't do it.
    I start around 11am. And no one said you had
    to have "breakfast" foods!!! I've been known to
    eat a tuna sandwich at 7am!
    Eat when your body says to eat!!
    :drinker:
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    As others have said there is no reason to eat breakfast. Skipping it will not slow your metabolism. In fact, not eating can actually speed up fat burning and boost weight loss(see threads on intermittent fasting).
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    As others have said there is no reason to eat breakfast. Skipping it will not slow your metabolism. In fact, not eating can actually speed up fat burning and boost weight loss(see threads on intermittent fasting).

New profile there?
  • wantstolooseweight
    wantstolooseweight Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm like you I hate eating breakfast.... but I've just broken a plateau by starting to eat 5 tiny meals a day rather than 2 big ones.... I cant face a solid breakfast yet but smoothie's are going down and staying down. Good luck with it
  • honkytonks85
    Options
    I'm like you I hate eating breakfast.... but I've just broken a plateau by starting to eat 5 tiny meals a day rather than 2 big ones.... I cant face a solid breakfast yet but smoothie's are going down and staying down. Good luck with it

It is cute when people attribute things like this to breaking a plateau. Weight loss is not linear and your plateau could have merely been because you were retaining water or something. I am not trying to be rude but eating 5 small meals a day doesn't have any metabolic advantage over eating 2 a day provided the macronutrient and calorie breakdown is the same.
  • melonclarinet
    melonclarinet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I don't always eat breakfast. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. The only difference I see is that I'm actually hungrier throughout the day if I eat breakfast.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    There she is! Knew it was you
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I HATE having to eat breakfast.

I know, I know, I know it slows metabolism should you skip it, but I feel so ill when I eat in the morning.

Is there any way of boosting metabolism without eating straight off or anything better to consume for breakfast that isn't going to make me feel like my belly is the size of a peanut and starts at the back of my throat!

I'm fine with my coffee but food... *shakes head* wouldn't mind if I could adopt that attitude to snacks or dinner as then I wouldn't be the size of a small country!

Thanks for your help in advance folks!

Marie xx
    Ive been told it makes no difference, Im doing the fasting and dont eat till about 12 or 1pm in the afternoon, and although my brains says to eat i think its just a motion as i dont even feel hungry which is weird, as before i was hungry all day long.
  • honkytonks85
    Options
    There she is! Knew it was you

Hee, new account, not so new member.
  • rhe280
    rhe280 Posts: 71
    Options
    I don't always eat breakfast. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. The only difference I see is that I'm actually hungrier throughout the day if I eat breakfast.

This. Glad im not the only one.
  • wantstolooseweight
    wantstolooseweight Posts: 166 Member
    Options

It is cute when people attribute things like this to breaking a plateau. Weight loss is not linear and your plateau could have merely been because you were retaining water or something. I am not trying to be rude but eating 5 small meals a day doesn't have any metabolic advantage over eating 2 a day provided the macronutrient and calorie breakdown is the same.

I don't pretend to know everything and I don't want to.. I know things aren't linear ... a plateau is what it felt like to me and changing things seem to have helped me I'm not saying it would help everyone.... I dont really care about what you think about it either you might well be right about macronutrients and things but its helped me personally and its a personal journey. You might not have been rude but I found that pretty patronising
  • kodakdigitalcamera
    Options
    Dont have breakfast then. It is the biggest lie where it 'boosts your metabolism' and if you dont eat then it 'slows it down' If your not hungry then dont eat its that simple. The human body is perfectly equipped to regularly skip meals and even go days without eating without starving.
  • honkytonks85
    Options

I don't pretend to know everything and I don't want to.. I know things aren't linear ... a plateau is what it felt like to me and changing things seem to have helped me I'm not saying it would help everyone.... I dont really care about what you think about it either you might well be right about macronutrients and things but its helped me personally and its a personal journey. You might not have been rude but I found that pretty patronising

I think it is just a misconception people have about eating more frequently to boost weight loss.

I hope to help those that think they need to alter a comfortable eating routine to help lose weight. I really did not mean to be condescending.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    http://www.shapesense.com/nutrition/articles/thermic-effect-of-food.aspx

An article with links to studies rather than personal opinions and ideas pulled out of a hat.

No, hat wasn't my first choice.
  • lizitivity
    lizitivity Posts: 21
    Options
    I used to be the same. Hated breakfast and never ate it. Now I always eat it and can't not. I don't remember when or what changed. But I don't think it's a huge problem for you not to eat breakfast. You could try eating a later breakfast, or something really small? I wouldn't worry about it if you don't eat. If your body doesn't want it, you must not need it, I'd guess?
  • honkytonks85
    Options
    http://www.shapesense.com/nutrition/articles/thermic-effect-of-food.aspx

An article with links to studies rather than personal opinions and ideas pulled out of a hat.

No, hat wasn't my first choice.

Good article, I think this is an important message:

'To be honest, it is really not worthwhile to make modifications to your eating habits with the sole intent of optimizing the thermic effect of food. If you managed to do it the effects would be minimal at best. A combination of healthy diet and exercise, to control your caloric balance, is always the best approach to losing and/or maintaining a healthy weight'