My Best Tip.

Options
Lindsey1985x
Lindsey1985x Posts: 106 Member
hey - well i'm half way to getting where i want to be weight-wise and I have one major tip that helps me more than probably anything else.

If you don't buy it, you won't eat it.

i used to buy treat food for the week... perhaps some biscuits, or some chocolate or something "sweet"

Now, I do not EVER buy this stuff. I know that despite being highly motivated and strong with food choices if i had these things in my kitchen they would eventually be eaten... ok.. they might be eaten in moderation throughout the week - and there is nothing wrong with moderation. But i see it this way: Let's say i eat 2 small biscuits a day, every day.... that's 14 biscuits at the end of the week.... would i ever eat 14 biscuits in one sitting at the end of the week? - NO. Why? - because i'd feel it was counterproductive to my weight loss journey... so i just don't buy that stuff.

I'm not saying others shouldn't have their treats. Everyone is different. But for me - this is what makes the difference to my weight loss.

Much love,

Lindsey1985x

Replies

• zozzabubba
    zozzabubba Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    This is really good! I'm definitely going to do this when I'm living alone. Only problem is right now (I'm only 18) I'm still living with my mum, and she regularly brings me home chocolate bars as treats if I've done something well, or if she just happened to be in the store...I tell her not to but she still does!!! So then it's just sitting there STARING AT ME until I eat it. I would feel bad if I just threw it away, but I don't know what else to do!
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Also, for a lot of people, if you are going to treat yourself then only get what you will have that one time. I am one of those people who would say, "I'm going to buy this and this, and a box of this... but I'm only going to have a little bit, and save the rest to have over the next few weeks." It does NOT work! By the time the day was through, there'd be an empty cookie box, a cleaned out tub (or two) of Ben & Jerry's, and several chocolate bar wrappers in my wake! I have admitted that I am a food addict and a compulsive and binge eater, and that like any addict, I simply do not have control if I bring all of that stuff into my home environment.
  • Lindsey1985x
    Options
    Bless her - you're mum is trying to be sweet and rewarding you the way so many parents can. Perhaps you could explain that even though you love the goodies she brings home it makes things difficult when you're trying to lose weight... perhaps you could suggest other treats she could get you if she wants to reward you that don't involve bad calories.

:) x
  • Lindsey1985x
    Options
    Agreed. Also, for a lot of people, if you are going to treat yourself then only get what you will have that one time. I am one of those people who would say, "I'm going to buy this and this, and a box of this... but I'm only going to have a little bit, and save the rest to have over the next few weeks." It does NOT work! By the time the day was through, there'd be an empty cookie box, a cleaned out tub (or two) of Ben & Jerry's, and several chocolate bar wrappers in my wake! I have admitted that I am a food addict and a compulsive and binge eater, and that like any addict, I simply do not have control if I bring all of that stuff into my home environment.

Exactly. For people who really CAN make that box of cookies last weeks then ok... but you've still consumed it even though it was over a longer time. Even if i could do that (which i can't!!) i wouldnt want the extra calories anyway.

I find that not snacking on any "naughty" foods helps so much - even at work (I work for a branded confectionery company so theres always sweets and treats all over the place) - I just don't touch any of them, theyre just not worth it.
  • ATOLLIT
    ATOLLIT Posts: 149
    Options
    It is a great idea and I do that with a lot of foods I want - things like pizzas, creamy pasta sauce, that kind of thing, I only buy them very occasionally or otherwise that'd be all I'd eat. But, I do have a stash of sweet things by my desk for the evenings. At the moment it's a packet of ginger snaps, before that it was a giant toblerone. I know that, for me, I would lose less weight if I didn't allow myself something sweet in the evenings, as I'd eat a lot less healthily for the rest of the day. Also a lot of evenings I have a hundred calories of my allowance left after dinner, so I use it as a kind of mini-reward for a good day.
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Lindsey, thats a really great idea. especially if you live by yourself. great lose btw. at the moment mine is reminding myself why i want to be thin.
  • poetgurl2005
    Options
    I buy sweets, but not often, and I usually let my kids pick it out. They're four and two and have horrible taste. I don't like what they buy. My biggest issue is ice cream and donuts. Those are two things that can only be bought one at a time at the store, because I know if I have it in the house I will eat it. Not buying sweets really does help you to not eat them.
  • jasper93004
    Options
    I have a tip if you live with someone else. My husband can eat anything and while he has made some sacrifices in the food department, there are still items I buy for him. Example - those little chocolate donuts. I make him count them each time he grabs them because now I know that HE knows how many are left. It shames me into not eating them but it really does work!
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the same thing. I stopped buying potato chips a few years ago. My mom ALWAYS had the house stocked with chips, ice cream, chocolate, and desserts. she bakes A LOT. (yet somehow my weight didn't skyrocket until college. hmm). I recently (a few months ago) got on a chocolate ice cream/frozen yogurt binge. So I stopped buying that. I used to tell myself the same thing "oh a Dove Dark Chocolate bar isn't bad, it's dark chocolate, so it's "healthier" for you, and I won't eat it all at one time. Moderation!" No, I'll just eat half then the other half 5 hours later. NO GOOD! So I'm not buying that crap anymore either! YAY! haha
  • bshephe2
    bshephe2 Posts: 21
    Options
    My wife has never been over-weight, so she really doesn't understand (she weighs 45kg or 99lbs). I was 122kg (268lb) but have now slimmed down to 95kg (209lb). Every week she buys biscuits, cake, ice-cream for our three teenages. They all eat like horses without putting on weight. It is very hard dieting on my own. This web site is a lifesaver. Without it I would get no support, just critism.
  • AMC4x4
    AMC4x4 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Excellent tip. For so long, I never though about how these can all add up over just even a week.

I think if I allow myself treats, it's going to be the occasional ice cream out at the shop on a nice summer night with my family. I'm not going to feel bad about it. What I will NOT do is keep it in the house. Not even a pint. That way I won't feel bad about the once in a while indulgence.

But if it's in the house, you're right... it's eaten.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!