800 Calories, Bored with the old routine!

Options
Well, I can't lose weight unless I eat between 800-1000 calories a day, along with exercise. Looking for friends around the same that'll help me with what's better to eat. I'm getting bored of what I do eat, and don't want my body getting too used to it! :)

Replies

• rachledezjones
    rachledezjones Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm the same - I tend to eat 900-1000 calories a day, only having more than that a couple of days a week when I might hit my 1200.

I tend to eat scrambled egg whites with chilli sauce for lunch most days, and then for dinner I'll have chicken with roasted carrots and butternut squash and lots of greens.

Last night I had a Goodfellas Delizia pizza which was about 390 calories, with a big mountain of rocket and a tbsp of light Caesar salad dressing - i was trying to recreate a meal I had in Pizza Express!

Today for lunch I'm having a crunchy stir fry with 'Chinese' stir fry sauce which is about 90 cals per half a sachet, and I would also have this for dinner with the addition of chicken.

I tend to just eat chicken and eggs a lot of the time which is boring, but I have been trying to find alternatives to mix things up. I just find that if I eat minced beef (in chilli con carne) or any kind of carbs I put on a few lbs almost immediately and spend the next week trying to get them off!

What sort of thing do you normally eat? xxx
  • SailorPlanetPower
    Options
    Wow. I sound so boring in comparison!
    Usually its just maybe a boiled egg, lettuce, a slice of ham and a few tomatoes for lunch, and then soup/noodles or maybe a piece of chicken with more salad for dinner! So I guess you can see why I'm so bored of it! Never have much variety apart from on Sundays where we have the obv Sunday Roast, tends to be my naughty day too! x
  • rachledezjones
    rachledezjones Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    By the sounds of it you're eating the same sort of stuff but maybe you just need to shake up the way you're eating them.

I love boiled eggs too but I would much rather have three extra egg whites than one egg yolk since the calories work out the same but I'd rather eat more for my calories.

The same goes for dinner - I don't mind salad but if I have it for lunch I don't want it for dinner too. Try the roasted veg thing - I have carrots, butternut squash, peppers and red onion (cut into small chunks and drizzled with a teaspoon of olive oil or sprayed with fry light) - this really fills you up but has hardly any calories.

You can also buy a vegetable stir fry and either use a sachet of sauce (as I will be doing today!) or just fry with garlic, crushed ginger and soy sauce. Again, hardly any calories but the strong flavours distract me from the fact that I'm just eating more veg!

I don't know what your tastes are but I find putting spicy sauce on anything makes it taste better immediately lol!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I have one tip and one tip only: Eat more!

There is no way you are getting adequate fuel for your exercises and for your body on that little amount.

I bet if you tried to eat more and gave it sometime to let your body get used to higher amount, you would see weight loss and have more of a chance of keeping it off.
  • SailorPlanetPower
    Options
    Sounds an idea! Thanks :) Also, I tend to go a bit too far me thinks with black coffee/tea, rather than always sticking to water. Do you find anything else suitable instead?x
  • healthymission92
    Options
    I don't eat that little but you could try coliflower mashed up as an alternative to mash potato?
    Egg white omelettes are low in cals too and you can add what ever veg/salad you like, I love mushrooms & spinach.
    Swap red meats for quorn/vegeterian options? I always make a chili with quorn mince and add lots of brocoli.
    Tofu is really low and you can add what ever flavours you want (ginger, herbs etc)
    Low fat natural greek yoghurt is also really low (only ever about 57cals per 100g) I add cinamon and berries.
    Smoked salmon and cucumber (I grill mine so its hot) thats really filling.
    Buy any stirfry mix and add the meat of you're choice then season with herbs.
    hmmmm theres loads more but I can't think. I'll come back if I think of any more ideas :)
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options

There is no way you are getting adequate fuel for your exercises and for your body on that little amount.

I bet if you tried to eat more and gave it sometime to let your body get used to higher amount, you would see weight loss and have more of a chance of keeping it off.

this!
    not only are you depriving your body of the fuel you need... but you will more than likely plateau by continuing to eat less than your body needs.
  • healthymission92
    Options
    Sounds an idea! Thanks :) Also, I tend to go a bit too far me thinks with black coffee/tea, rather than always sticking to water. Do you find anything else suitable instead?x

Green tea and herbal tea's!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    You are setting yourself up for a lifetime of yo-yo dieting. Follow the guidelines here on MFP for healthy weight loss and to avoid a lifetime of unhappiness about your weight.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

this!
    not only are you depriving your body of the fuel you need... but you will more than likely plateau by continuing to eat less than your body needs.
  • raverhayley
    raverhayley Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    eat between 750-950, but a good day for my is staying under 850. i also do 60mins cardio per day. it is hard work, but i get unmotivated if i only loose 1-2lbs per week eating 1200plus.
  • SailorPlanetPower
    Options
    I don't mind upping my calorie intake by a little, I just know that as soon as I start having more than 1200, my weight piles back on, and being back to my original weight is not something I really wanna do! And thanks for the green tea tip, I'll look into that! Awesome ideas guys x
  • dad106
    Options
    eat between 750-950, but a good day for my is staying under 850. i also do 60mins cardio per day. it is hard work, but i get unmotivated if i only loose 1-2lbs per week eating 1200plus.

You are only supposed to lose 1-2 pounds per week unless you are obese.

Stop starving yourself and please do it the right way.. you'll be happy you did.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I don't mind upping my calorie intake by a little, I just know that as soon as I start having more than 1200, my weight piles back on, and being back to my original weight is not something I really wanna do! And thanks for the green tea tip, I'll look into that! Awesome ideas guys x

If you jump from 800 calories up to 1200 you're going to see a small gain at first until your body gets used to it, but THEN your body will start losing. From fat, rather than muscle.

What is your BMR and TDEE?
  • dad106
    Options

It's not actual weight though... it's just water from your body saying hey, I'm actually being fed properly!

When you up calories, the weight will creep back on a little.. but then once your body gets used to it, it goes back down.

Try it for a month(not just a week and then freakout because you gained a little) and you'll see what I'm talking about.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options

It's not actual weight though... it's just water from your body saying hey, I'm actually being fed properly!

When you up calories, the weight will creep back on a little.. but then once your body gets used to it, it goes back down.

Try it for a month(not just a week and then freakout because you gained a little) and you'll see what I'm talking about.

this!!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.

b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote or glamorize dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.

c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.

d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

MyFitnessPal strongly recommends that anyone suffering from the symptoms of Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia, or Compulsive eating make use of the resources offered by the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders. You may reach the ANAD hotline by phone in the US: 847-831-3438 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm, Central Time) or on the web at http://www.anad.org/site/anadweb/

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    CatCrazy
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
This discussion has been closed.