Lack of B.M?

Sorry for the rather personal question.. ;)

Since I started eating extremely healthy about three weeks ago, I seem to have a lack of Bowel Movements. At most I go once a day now, and before I was going like three times a day. Is this normal? Should I do an enema or something? I don't feel blocked up or bloated.

I have been getting plenty of fiber in my diet (have whole oats daily), and drink plenty of water (sometimes even too much, lol..).

Replies

• satxtrap
    satxtrap Posts: 120 Member
    Once a day is normal. But, if you want to help things along I am a big proponent of Psyillium Husks (a tablespoon) put in a glass of juice once or twice a day. Helps keep things running smoothly. I don't care for the powdered version.
  • kayakinggrrl
    kayakinggrrl Posts: 101 Member
    I have found the same thing. When I eat lots of high carb and high sugar foods, I can have 2, possibly 3 times a day. And it's not just a little poo, it's embarrassingly big. When I am eating healthier foods, fruits and vegetables, less fat, less refined sugar, I definitely go less. I usually go once a day and about about once a week or so, I won't go for a day. When I do go, there is much less volume. I figured that since it coincided almost exactly with a change in my eating habits that it wasn't a problem. Maybe the food that I am eating is being used better by my body and there is less leftover. I can't imagine that my body really wanted to hang onto all the Little Debbie snack cakes that I was eating.

Sorry it this was TMI, hopefully it helps.
  • CWatermelon
    CWatermelon Posts: 146 Member
    Water, water, water, water, and when you think you have drank enough, drink some more! Exercise too :)
  • I was always super regular, but a few weeks after I started eating better, I got really constipated a few times. I think my body just eventually adjusted bc I am back to being regular!
  • marnet12
    marnet12 Posts: 73 Member
    A change in diet can easily affect your movements. Once a day is not bad. Some people like to do a colon cleanse every few months just to get rid of any backed up debris. There are many schools of thought on this, so go with your gut (couldn't resist :laugh: ) I'm not a doctor, but I would say to stay away from anything like otc laxatives except in very extreme cases.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Ensure your dietary fats aren't too low as fat helps keep things moving along. Fibre, fat and water help!

Once a day is normal... however everyone has a diffferent definition of normal.
  • kirstenmaria
    kirstenmaria Posts: 112 Member
    Once a day is normal. But, if you want to help things along I am a big proponent of Psyillium Husks (a tablespoon) put in a glass of juice once or twice a day. Helps keep things running smoothly. I don't care for the powdered version.

Can Psyllium Husks be taken in a pill format? I'm looking online at GNC and it looks like they have 500mg pills, and I'm just wondering what the best option is, especially considering I don't want to ask the salesperson..."Excuse me, do you know how much of this I need to take, and how I should take it, for the best results?" LOL.
  • mlwatts2
    mlwatts2 Posts: 244 Member
    I know it's been said but lots of water and exercise!!! Nothing gets me going like a nice run!! LOL!!