Constipation

Options

Replies

• slim104
    slim104 Posts: 160
    Options
    Psyllium Husks!
    they scrape the insides of your intestines, and puff up your bowel moments and make you sing like an opera singer while you poo :)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psyllium_seed_husks
    LMAO reading this....i have a picture in my head now!!
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Ground linseeds (I think they call them flaxseeds in America - not sure where you are or what they'd be called there!) I put them in my porridge in smoothies and you can put them in baking (like oaty raisin cookies) as well.
    This, and but don't have Flaxseed and beans on the same day! Lol
  • Miss_L
    Miss_L Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Any form of laxative is an absolute NO!!! Your body needs to learn to be regular naturally, whether every 3 days is regular for you, or every day is regular for you.

If its quite hard then soluble fibre will help soften it all up, so a fibre supplement such as benefibre will help.
    If its hard to to go all together, more rough-age will hell, so brown rice, oats, bran, rye bread etc.
    Eating dried prunes etc will help, or what always helps me is stewed apples (no added sugars) with plenty of water added while cooking, and when softened add lots and lots of wheat bran, let it soak up the water etc. i eat it warm with yoghurt to make it more palatable, but a serve of that each day should help.
    And like everyone else has mentioned, plenty of water! Litres! And of course the usual, no white bread, processed foods etc :)
  • imissbagels
    imissbagels Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem. Ive added flaxseed to my breakfast every morning. Its helped things along.
  • Venturin
    Venturin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Psyllium Husks!
    they scrape the insides of your intestines, and puff up your bowel moments and make you sing like an opera singer while you poo :)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psyllium_seed_husks

LOL this is the post of the year
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Fish oil capsules help me every time!
  • julieb1975
    Options
    Drink a mug of warm (not cold) apple juice. Or a half cup or so of dried apricots. Both do the job for me... also Miralax is pretty good as well, so second that recommendation.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. :cry:
  • ANUFABME1920
    Options
    fish oil...with every meal
  • ArtemisMoon
    ArtemisMoon Posts: 144
    Options
    I saw several posters say 64 oz of water. You should really be drinking 1/2 your body weight in oz. instead. 64 oz. is too little for most people. And of course add to that if you exercise or live in a warm or humid climate. I did not know this for a long time and stayed dehydrated and had similar problems because of it.
  • B_Running
    B_Running Posts: 158
    Options
    I've been eating healthy for over 8 years and have suffered from constipation for about the same amount of time. I've tried all kinds of stool softeners, stimulant laxatives, non-stimulant laxatives, teas, prunes, psyllium husk, flaxseed, coconut oil, probiotics, more fiber, less fiber, more water, less water, eating less meat, becoming a vegetarian, eating meat again, etc... recently, meaning in past two weeks, I've started taking fish oil twice a day (despite the recommended dosage one the bottle for once a day). Fish oil (one in the A.M and one in the P.M) combined with at least two servings of ground flaxseeds in my protien smoothies and it appears as though some sort of miracle has occurred!!!!!!! :smile:

Not saying this concoction will work for you, but my point is that you need to find out what works for you. Good luck!
  • goodeater24
    goodeater24 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Senna is not a good idea. Besides being habit forming, it cause spots on your colon which I learned about during my last colonoscopy. According to my gastroenterologist, the spots are harmless and will go away if you stop taking the Senna. The problem is that during a colonoscopy, the spots make it hard to see you there are any polyps. He showed me a picture of my spots - not pretty.
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Try some chia seeds, add even more fiber to your diet.
  • Debrann310
    Debrann310 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Mirolax works very good for me. I have IBS also and this helps alot.
  • jchurch711
    jchurch711 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Black licorice
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Fish oil capsules help me every time!

Or just generally increasing your fat. Sometimes when you eat low fat, things have a tough time moving through. For me adding fat and eating 2 or 3 prunes per day usually helps with the issue.
  • B_Running
    B_Running Posts: 158
    Options
    fish oil...with every meal

How much fish oil?
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    I always eat lots of fruits and veggies, but I tried increasing my fibre and ended up eating more grains and getting more constipated. Grains add bulk and too much can make things more difficult. About thirty six hours after I gave up grains it was smooth sailing, and I haven't had a problem since. Perhaps you could go grain free for a day or two and see if that makes a difference.
  • loubeth22
    loubeth22 Posts: 72
    Options
    I'm allergic to codeine. It came to a head when I turned 15 and my doctor decided my mother must have been abusing me because if my horrible constipation. I'm better now but I have to be so aware of what my body is doing. If I take the wrong painkiller I'm on magnesium powders to help my belly along for at least 3 months.

If you are in pain take a natural laxative /softener. You can ask a chemist to recommend a good one. Once you've sorted out this lot then focus on water and fibre. I count 1 serve of fibre to need one full glass of water. So fibre + toast needs a glass and veggies or a side salad needs another. Also pulp orange juice is great if you can't take another glass of water.

Feel better soon. If not there are all those friendly chemists and doctors who can give you a hand sorting out why your belly is fighting you.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Broccoli or any fibre really.
    And stop eating soy based protein.

Builder bars are known to cause constipation.