Losing motivation

Options
Hi. I'm new to these boards. I've been a lurker since joining but I'm really in a rut and thought I'd ask for some advice.

I guess I should give you some background on myself before asking for help. I hope this isn't too long of a post.

My name is Victoria and I'm 33 years old. These last 3 years have been what I consider to be the lowest points of my life. I had a lot of bad things happen both personally and professionally. During those 3 years, I gained about 40 pounds. I reached 170 and I'm only 5 feet tall. I also have cerebral palsy which in no way helps my situation. I can't blame these past 3 years 100%. Looking back now, I think I've always had a problem with weight. I've had my ups and downs with the scale, mostly due to depression and self -confidence issues, I suppose. I'm just starting to realize I was (and still am) an emotional eater.. ....To get to the point, I NEVER had much motivation to do anything to help myself and if I ever got a bit of motivation during my lifetime, it would only last 24-48 hours (lol)

For some reason, around February 2012, a light bulb went off in my head. I couldn't walk comfortably, I had a lot of knee pain and lower back pain. I was a wreck and stopped feeling comfortable even leaving my home. Somehow, I got motivation. I don't know how, but it just came to me one morning like BOOM....So,. I decided if I didn't take control now, I would be in DEEP trouble.

Since beginning a healthy routine nutrition-wise, I've been able to lose about 20 pounds. It's been a VERY slow process mostly because I have a difficult time exercising, but I can't complain. So long as it's coming off, that's all that matters to me at this point. I am doing it in a healthy manner, though.

These past 3 or 4 days now, I've been craving starchy, high sodium foods (I've had these cravings before, so it's not surprising). Normally when I have these strong cravings, I don't deprive myself. I eat a little "extra" for that day and then go back to my healthy routine the following morning. It's worked for me pretty well up until now.

I ate cold-cuts 2 days in a row and the scale went up 4.5 lbs. I know it's due to sodium retention (it's happened like this before. The scale normally goes back down after a couple of days of watching my sodium intake and drinking plenty of water), so I'm not TOO concerned with the scale itself. But the craving is what disturbs me. It's lasted 2 days, which is not ordinary. Today is the THIRD day and I still wanna eat things I'm not supposed to eat. I can't seem to get back into that healthy mindset/routine. I don't what happened. It's like whatever motivation I had since February is POOF! GONE!

I am SO afraid the motivation is leaving me as quickly as it came and I don't know how to cope in a situation like this. Losing just 20 pounds has already helped me. I have far less knee and back pain. I've been in high spirits overall. You would THINK those positive things would be enough to get me passed this. I can only imagine what losing another 20-30 will do for me! I'd probably be one happy girl!

I'm petrified I'll gain all of it back now.

I need some of you guys and ladies to throw some positive vibes my way....! Any advice would help me. Thanks for reading through my entire post.

Replies

• EternalJourney
    Options
    For me , I just had to keep reminding myself that this is what I want and I will have to work hard to get to where I want to be. Do I want to be fat still, eating junk food daily and feeling like a couch potato? Or do I want to feel healthy, active, be able to run, and hopefully live a long life. I had bad cravings for the first two weeks, now I am fine and actually get disgusted looking at certain foods.

It all depends on what you want.

Have faith in yourself and you can do it. Picture yourself where you want to be, not where you are now.

EDIT: And CB is a P.I.T.A.. it could hinder you in many ways on your journey, just have faith though!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Your situation is very similar to mine, except I gained over 100 pounds during my years of being flat on the mat. I also have terrible cravings and was losing motivation because, while the weight was coming off, it was slow, and I was having way too many days where I said heck with it and went to the store for some pastries.

I'm now doing Atkins. So far so good but this is only week two, there's no telling if I'll really be able to do this the rest of my life, and I think low carb is really meant to be a way of life change, not just a diet. I went by Zaxby's for my son yesterday. They have this ridiculously tasty looking milkshake. I didn't buy it. I pass the carrot cake in the kitchen. I don't eat it. I see the bread on the counter. I don't eat that, either. Or the milk in the fridge or the soda. It's all in front of me, and I'm not eating it, and so far, I'm not very plagued with cravings, not like I was. So right now I'm doing good.

You have a medical condition I don't, though, so if you do decide to try low carb, I'm thinking you should check with your doctor first. And of course what is working for me might not work for you, and who knows? In two weeks it might not work for me, either. Which would suck, because I'm fresh out of ideas to stay motivated and losing.
  • JudyL5305
    JudyL5305 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    First of all congrats on the weight loss.And you did the right thing for reaching out here. I am sending you a friend request. It is always difficult when the motivation starts to leave you but you have to fight. Remember this is a lifestyle change so it will take time and like you say as long as it comes off and slow is better than fast. As for you cravings sometimes we have to give in to them BUT as long as it is in moderation it is ok. Otherwise what can happen is a binge. I happen to like sweets alot so I make sure i load up on sweet fruit to cut the cravings.
  • monandez
    monandez Posts: 34
    Options
    I got out of my routine for about a month because I was traveling, and had a really hard time getting back to it. I didn't want to exercise, I wanted to eat crap. However, since making myself get back on track I have begun to feel getter again and have more energy. It is so hard to do the work it takes and it's so incredibly easy to sit down and eat a whole cake, (I haven't eaten a whole cake, but you get my point). :) I do Zumba 3-4 times a week and that includes Zumba Toning. It's a really fun way to exercise and take care of yourself. I would highly recommend it. When I start getting tired throughout I just keep thinking about how many calories I will burn during that 1 hour of exercise and the calorie burn is all up to how hard you work.

Keep going at it. It's totally worth it. Do it for yourself and no one else. You will walk easier, breathe easier, sleep easier, and be able to do so many more things than you would carrying around all the excess weight. I still have a long way to go on this journey, but I am prepared to work my butt off to get to where I need to be. We can do it together! :)
  • MNguerita
    MNguerita Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    For me I just look at what I have accomplished! I remind myself of my goals (want o get off bp meds, and hat's one that won't fix itself on it's own)... And I think about how I feel when people comment on my progress etc! It all makes it worth it, and I don't want to go back. However much I may lack motivation some days, my desire to have a healthier, better me is stronger!
  • HausfrauB
    HausfrauB Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    How is your sugar and carb intake?

Carbs become a form of sugar through digestion. The body responds with insulin. And the whole carb-craving cycle begins again.

Here's an excerpt from an article I found helpful (http://www.weightandwellness.com/id40.html)

"What happens to our blood sugar when you eat a high carbohydrate diet? It doesn't matter which processed carbohydrate food you choose, carbohydrates break down into sugar (glucose) in your body and go into your blood. Unbalanced blood sugar levels are a major cause of carbohydrate cravings. Because your blood cannot tolerate too much sugar, your body naturally produces the hormone insulin that takes sugar from the blood and deposits it into the cells. When you eat a high carbohydrate meal, your blood sugar levels rise to a dangerous level. Large doses of insulin rush to the scene and clear out the sugar. As a result of clearing, the opposite state occurs, called low blood sugar. You may be familiar with feeling low blood sugar---being tired irritable even shaky. To bring blood sugar levels back up, your body sends your brain a chemical message saying, "I need sugar, eat sugar." Hence you crave pop, bread, brownies, pasta, or anything with sugar. In effect, carbohydrate cravings are a biochemical response to low blood sugar. Cravings are not a lack of will power!"

I'm eating low-carb, and therefore, low sugar. My cravings are almost non-existent.

It's something to chew on. What is there to lose by trying week of low-carb eating?

Best wishes!
  • bridgeo74
    bridgeo74 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I pinned a cool poster from Pinterest called "When You are Craving This...You are Missing That".
    The website is : http://healthwellness808.com/?p=1180, just scroll down to see what I am talking about. Maybe this will help for you cravings.
    As for motivation, I personally wish they had that in pill form. I am a BIG procastinator when it comes to exercising...unless it's ZUMBA!!
    Keep up the good work! Everyone gets in a slump once in a while!!
  • NannersBalletLegs
    NannersBalletLegs Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Some things I like to do when I'm not feeling particularly motivated:

--Force myself to exercise even if I don't really feel like it, because once I get started, the endorphins kick in, and I suddenly feel happy and motivated again. This might just be something as simple as a leisurely stroll around the neighborhood.

--Read posts and look at the before and after pictures on the success story forum here on MFP.

--Watch episodes of "Supersize vs. Superskinny" on youtube. It's a British television show where they pair up chronic over-eaters and chronic under-eaters and have them swap diets so that they can see someone else struggling with their own dietary choices. They also spend a lot of time showing the end result of following either dietary path, along with grotesque pictures and video clips. It will make you think twice about too much starch and grease and not enough fruit and veggies for sure.

--I keep a pair of pants around that I grew out of as I gained weight. I put these on once a week to feel the difference, many times even when the scale is moving quite slowly. One week I will be able to zip them up again (but still with muffin top), the next week or two maybe the muffin top will finally be gone, again later, the calves might have a bit more room, etc.

--I take a few minutes to visualize myself at my optimal weight, looking happy and healthy...not some unobtainable level of thin, but definitely leaner and stronger.

--I would probably post about my lack of motivation on my page if it ever got too bad in order to get some encouragement from my friends on here.

--I look up the nutritional information of my food (not just the calories, protein, fat, carbs, etc.)...like, I look at the micronutrients...vitamins, minerals, etc. When I want fries and see how little they have to offer me and then I look up something like kiwis or carrots, suddenly the choices become more obvious (not just to lose weight but to give my body what it needs).

Those are just a few things that work for me.

Best of luck to you.
  • HausfrauB
    HausfrauB Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Been thinking since I posted...

Why don't you plan your daily calories to include the food you can't get your mind off of? Obsessing can wreck havoc with your mindset.

Maybe doing this and seeing that you can successfully stay on track will give you that added motivation you feel is lacking.

And congrats on getting this far. Look back at your progress and remember how hard it was to get to this point. That's what keeps me from smoking again.

:)
  • mommab23k
    mommab23k Posts: 35
    Options
    Victoria, it'll be ok. Remember it's a journey, not a destination, right? (I need to remember that myself!)

As for what you're craving, guessing you have some hormonal shifts or vitamin deficiencies. Are you taking vitamins/supplements consistently? That might help. Also, if it's certain types of food (salt/starch/carbs) Google around to see what you might be lacking in your diet and then you can make changes as needed. Everyone craves things, sometimes more often than not, for me it's chocolate after dinner.

Try to remember, again easier said than done I know, that each day is a NEW day. Not a carryover of yesterday. Whatever choices you made yesterday is old news and each day is a clean slate. Yes, I know that yesterday's choices can effect today but you still have the choice to give into it again or start new. You can do it!