HELP! I am always binge eating!

I really want to lose weight but I cant!!! Everyday I wake up saying to myself that I will eat healthy today but then I end up eating so many junk food! I cant throw all the food away because I live with my parents! Can someone help me please??

Replies

• camelgirlmn
    camelgirlmn Posts: 226 Member
    It is hard, but you need will power. Instead of eating potato chips, eat celery or carrots. Take it one step at a time. CHange 1 thing a day or one thing a week. Like I mentioned instead of chips munch on carrots or celery. Motivate yourself. Walk around the block daily. Changing will not happen overnight, but dont let it get to you to much. SLowly but surely!!!
  • mommab23k
    mommab23k Posts: 35
    If you are binge eating consistently, you aren't eating because you are hungry. You're eating for other reasons. Figure out what they are, you probably already know. Figure out other ways to cope w/them, otherwise you won't break the cycle. If you are buying the junk food, stop bringing it into the house. If you parents are buying the junk food, then either ask them to stop and if they won't then maybe you need to start making sure you have access to healthier food (spend part of you work money/allowance, etc). If you really want to lose weight, it's not just about what you eat, but WHY you eat.
  • shannonmaria
    shannonmaria Posts: 44 Member
    OMG I have the same problem!!!!! It's only 11:23am and I've already had breakfast, plus I've eaten 2 cookies when I know I shouldn't. It sucks because I know exactly what I need to do, and I want it, but I can't stop doing all the wrong things!!
  • kirstenmaria
    kirstenmaria Posts: 112 Member
    When I was in high school I saw a counselor to help with binge eating...mine was related to emotional overeating, and all the chemicals in my brain were messed up from my binges. Maybe think about therapy to help you cope and fight off the urges to binge. It helped me stop the out of control binges completely. If therapy is not an option, try to figure out what exactly it is that triggers these binges, and practice some self control. It only takes 28 days to create or break a habit!
  • awils899
    awils899 Posts: 1
    The only thing that keeps me from doing this is writing down everything I eat or drink and posting it where everyone sees it (like on the fridge). This keeps me accountable for what I am putting in my mouth. Also ask your parents to keep your trigger foods put away like in their room so you are not so tempted. I buy my husband snacks that I do not like so I don't eat them. Good Luck
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Hi Honey,
    Is your food diary open? maybe you are hungry and trying to restrict too much? do you have breakfast?
    I was given a great book about basic Cognitive Behavioural Therapy techniques which help you with weight loss, check out what is available on amazon. Trying to understand your emotional needs for eating if you say it isn't hunger might be worth a go.

Keep a journal, not a food diary but a journal of your thoughts and emotions and what happens on the days times when you binge, you may find there is a pattern.

Message me if you want to talk it through more. I have had quite a lot of CBT and TA counselling to help maintain my weight loss.
    Jules xx
  • camelgirlmn
    camelgirlmn Posts: 226 Member
    RIght, You should write down everything you eat. That way you know whats going into your body.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Could you have a chat with whoever buys the food and ask them to buy less of the unhealthy stuff as you don't want to eat any of it.

You could ask them to get in fruit and other healthy, fill-you-up snacks. Give them a list or go along too when they go shopping and make sure that there are things you DO want to eat in the cart.

You could have suitable snacks ready for when you are hungry, or your tastebuds are begging for whatever you crave. I find a low-cal chocolate drink will often hit the spot when I want something sweet.

You could ask them to keep the things you're likely to binge on somewhere in their control. My OH loves cake, biscuits, chocolate - all stuff I could easily binge on, but he hides it in a tin beside "his" chair where I'm less likely to "accidentally" find it and be tempted. I still have some of these things occasionally but if I do, he knows about it, so I don't pig out.
  • samcorvus
    samcorvus Posts: 112 Member
    I am the same way. So far what's been working for me is routine. I planned out exactly what I needed nutrient wise using an online nutrient database. Then I picked some foods that totaled out to my needs. I eat those same things in the same quantities everyday. If I need a snack I keep it small. So far it's worked like a charm and I'm six lbs. down after doing it for a week.

If you find you can not put down the high salt/carb/sugar processed junk you may have to consider removing it in its' entirety from your house. Discipline is important but it's a lot easier to detox without the temptation smacking you in the face. After a few weeks the cravings for those things will all but vanish. After that happens it's probably safe to reintroduce this things to your life in a small and controlled fashion.

I was addicted to sugar. Sweets, soda, granola, and such. I spent one month without consuming any sugar or corn syrup. The first few days were the worst. After the month was over I started eating bread and drinking soda again but in no way near the quantity I was consuming. At the moment I have not had a soda in over a month just because they do not taste good anymore.

Stick with it and you can do it.

Hope this helps,

S,
  • No tips will stop your binge eating if it's a bio-chemical issue. See your doctor, I went through two years of heavy binge eating, went through hours and hours of expensive therapy, holistic remedies, exercise, yoga, supplements, mindful eating practices etc etc and I still couldn't shake it off. I literally could not control my impulses. Finally cracked and talked to my doctor, I was a daily binger, thousands of calories a day, since I put my western-medical-practice-conspiracy-theory guard down, I've been binge free for 5+ months straight. The foods I used to binge on disgust me and Im the happiest I've been on a loooong time!

Logging your food is a setup for disaster for a binge eater, IMO, a lot of it stems from acting like a diet control freak, I actually had to learn to be less-Regid in that department.. Good luck!
  • monasuli
    monasuli Posts: 99
    Thanks everyone! and you were all right! I am not eating because i'm hungry but for another reason that I don't know! Its not emotional eating! but I am trying to figure it out! The best thing for me to do is try to eat less of it and then give it up all together! I hope i can do that!
  • normalme
    normalme Posts: 6
    Dividing your calories into 6 equal meals, every 3 hours or so (no more than 4 hours and I find 2 hours between meals in the morning) really helps keep binges away. It keeps your blood sugar levels more stable, and the less hungry you get the less likely you are to overeat.
    For the emotional side keeping a food diary, noting the time, place, what you eat and feelings and circumstances can help you to see patterns in your binges. It depends what you are calling binges though, some people have more objective binges and eating breakfast and then 2 cookies definitely isn't a binge! Particularly if you are restricting calorie intake it is probably just a natural response to hunger (quick carbs... NOW!), some people are lucky and can go hours between meals without the (natural) binge response, but many can't, If you had breakfast at 7 then by half 11 it's been 4.5 hrs since you last ate, and it's normal to need carbs, especially since all night is a long time without food. Having a snack mid morning really helps me prevent both binges and quick energy cravings that can turn into them... or make me feel guilty and therefore binge.
    I would so recommend the book "overcoming binge eating" by professor Christopher Fairburn (cbt approach) to anyone who is really binging (that is eating an unusual amount of food within the given timeframe and situation), as it is step by step, guided self help for overcoming binge eating and also bulimia.
    Charlie :)
  • shayhenke
    shayhenke Posts: 21 Member
    It is hard, but you need will power. Instead of eating potato chips, eat celery or carrots. Take it one step at a time. CHange 1 thing a day or one thing a week. Like I mentioned instead of chips munch on carrots or celery. Motivate yourself. Walk around the block daily. Changing will not happen overnight, but dont let it get to you to much. SLowly but surely!!!

I second that "change one thing at a time" mentality! Dont think you can be perfect all in one day! But when you wake up and decide what that one thing is and by the end of the day you have stuck with that ONE THING... then tomorrow will make it easier to do that thing you did and add another. Once you start to see yourself accomplish your goals then the more goals you can make! Self Confidence comes with sticking to goals! GOOD LUCK
  • shayhenke
    shayhenke Posts: 21 Member
    Dividing your calories into 6 equal meals, every 3 hours or so (no more than 4 hours and I find 2 hours between meals in the morning) really helps keep binges away. It keeps your blood sugar levels more stable, and the less hungry you get the less likely you are to overeat.
    For the emotional side keeping a food diary, noting the time, place, what you eat and feelings and circumstances can help you to see patterns in your binges. It depends what you are calling binges though, some people have more objective binges and eating breakfast and then 2 cookies definitely isn't a binge! Particularly if you are restricting calorie intake it is probably just a natural response to hunger (quick carbs... NOW!), some people are lucky and can go hours between meals without the (natural) binge response, but many can't, If you had breakfast at 7 then by half 11 it's been 4.5 hrs since you last ate, and it's normal to need carbs, especially since all night is a long time without food. Having a snack mid morning really helps me prevent both binges and quick energy cravings that can turn into them... or make me feel guilty and therefore binge.
    I would so recommend the book "overcoming binge eating" by professor Christopher Fairburn (cbt approach) to anyone who is really binging (that is eating an unusual amount of food within the given timeframe and situation), as it is step by step, guided self help for overcoming binge eating and also bulimia.
    Charlie :)

LOVE IT!!! Great advice