would love to have sub-account for my obese dog!

Options
My ex fed my baby boy, Solomon, pizza and stuff like that. Then he strained his ACL and doesn't walk very far. He's a Cocker Spaniel, double sized now. He wants to walk with me wherever I go, but he, like me, has to get the weight off in order to get better. I'm going to try multiple small walks, but wouldn't that be great if I had a plan for him, too.

Anybody else working with an obese dog?

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Could you get a manual treadmill cheap for the little beast to walk on? Dogs can learn to use them and enjoy spending time when they would be laying about on it.
  • MerBear1FL
    MerBear1FL Posts: 32
    Options
    I recommend you research the "Green Bean Diet" of "Pumpkin Diet" for dogs. I have had amazing sustained weight loss with this diet for my Min Pin. Some would even say he is no longer fat! :)
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Great idea. I'll look into that. Thanks.
  • MerBear1FL
    MerBear1FL Posts: 32
    Options
    of = or
  • Bluebaloo210
    Options
    While I'm not currently working with an obese dog, I am a second-year vet student, so maybe I can give you some advice. Owners absolutely adore their pets, and frequently show this by giving their pooches treats, table scraps, keeping their bowls fed, etc... This not only packs the pounds on fast, but it can lead to conditions like pancreatitis, which can actually be a severe illness. The best thing that you can do for your pet is what you are doing for yourself: cut out the table scraps (these often contain way more sodium and fat than your puppy needs), limit the treats to one a day at the absolute max, and switch to a low calorie diet. The major pet food companies have created multiple diets that provide the perfect amount of nutrients for your pet. Once your pet starts shedding pounds, invest in a tennis ball and play with your dog for 15 minutes a day. Your arm muscles will thank you, and so will your pup!
  • Josteyn
    Josteyn Posts: 44
    Options
    Yes, you could buy your dog a treadmill... Or get him a special diet which no carnivorous animal would ever eat...

Or maybe you could just go walking with him and stop feeding him so much?
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I recommend you research the "Green Bean Diet" of "Pumpkin Diet" for dogs. I have had amazing sustained weight loss with this diet for my Min Pin. Some would even say he is no longer fat! :)

I'll check out these diets. Thanks. He loves veggies.
  • ambitious01
    ambitious01 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have a cocker spaniel who is seriously overweight. No hip bones there. I walk around my yard now that I get some exercise myself and get her to walk also. I walk to the bottom of the hill and I holler for her until she comes to me. I then pet her and go to the top and do the same thing. I also cut her off from table scraps and cheese-its.
  • findingme07
    findingme07 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My Corgi was very overweight b/c we were feeding her the recommended amount of food on the dog food bag....those are inaccurate according to my vet. The baby now gets 1/4 C dog food twice a day and for several years we substituted 1/2 can low-salt cut green beans with each meal. She went from 44 lbs. to a cool 28 lbs. which is where she belongs. She had also torn her knee in the edging of a lawn between the lawn and the sidewalk, but with her weight loss she is doing so much better. She doesn't get any table scraps...they have too much salt and can be like poison in their little systems.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    My pup is not obese but she has had "weight problems" throughout her life. Every once in a while the vet has to put her on a special diet! I swear I have a yo-yo dieting dog, lol

I think it's FANTASTIC that you want to keep your best friend healthy and happy with you! The treadmill idea IS good if you have the money, but exactly what you said- multiple small walks to begin- is perfect. Every time YOU don't want to workout, tell yourself that Solomon needs you to get up and exercise! Use him as motivation! each week, set a new distance or time goal. Go a bit further each time and pretty soon, you and your big guy are going to be shedding pounds, combined with healthy diets, of course. Have you spoken to your vet to see how much./what type of food you should feed him? We found out that we were overfeeding my dog by about 1 cup of dog food per day. For a smaller dog (she's a mini schnauzer) that's pretty significant. I know Cockers aren't huge either, so definitely get clarification from the doc. Some of the mainstream dog foods claim to be healthy but actually have extremely limited nutrition in them. A big bag of quality dog food will run you more money but it should last longer, as you generally have to feed them less of it, and you know you're giving your pup the best. Oh- since he's working with a strained ACL, you may try letting him walk next to you in the grass versus on the sidewalk/street with you. The softer ground might be easier on his knees, letting him go further.

Good luck to you and Solomon! I hope you post again to let us know how you guys are progressing!
  • dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I have an obese dog too. Her previous owner starved her, so now she is obsessed with food, guards her dish and gobbles down all the other dogs' food if she can. At first we let her because we felt bad, and she was too thin. Now we've got her on low-cal dog food. The vet is worried about her joints and she has trouble getting up sometimes. She can't walk far either, but we had to do it just like we would for a person - first she would walk a few houses down, then we made it to the corner. Her next goal is around the block without having to call my husband to come pick us up.
    Also, I had a dog with a bad ACL. Dasuquin works great. Also we got Science Diet Healthy Mobility dog food, and I think it worked miracles.
  • VitaBailey
    VitaBailey Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I've had good results getting my dog's weight down by switching her to a grain-free diet. I feed her Nature's Variety Instinct. I wish I could walk her as much as I used to, but her older age and arthritis makes it impossible. I do a few short walks a day to keep her moving... I just keep my eyes on her closely. Sometimes, even then I have to carry her home. :(
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Yes, you could buy your dog a treadmill... Or get him a special diet which no carnivorous animal would ever eat...

Or maybe you could just go walking with him and stop feeding him so much?
    My suggestion for a treadmill was made for the times when the dog would be sitting about at home. I guess you missed that Mr. Smarty Pants.
  • Gunnarbear
    Gunnarbear Posts: 186
    Options
    While I'm not currently working with an obese dog, I am a second-year vet student, so maybe I can give you some advice. Owners absolutely adore their pets, and frequently show this by giving their pooches treats, table scraps, keeping their bowls fed, etc... This not only packs the pounds on fast, but it can lead to conditions like pancreatitis, which can actually be a severe illness. The best thing that you can do for your pet is what you are doing for yourself: cut out the table scraps (these often contain way more sodium and fat than your puppy needs), limit the treats to one a day at the absolute max, and switch to a low calorie diet. The major pet food companies have created multiple diets that provide the perfect amount of nutrients for your pet. Once your pet starts shedding pounds, invest in a tennis ball and play with your dog for 15 minutes a day. Your arm muscles will thank you, and so will your pup!
    *****The best advice****** :flowerforyou:
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I have a dog that was overweight for two years. And then when I started losing weight, she started losing weight. How? I measured her food portions to what the bag recommended, changed her food to Purina Dog Chow (from Old Roy, and her coat is beautiful now too!), stopped with the unhealthy food scraps (but she does get to lick the plate clean, so she doesn't mind as much!), and mostly took her outside. She's an indoor dog. When I started playing tennis, because the tennis courts are fenced in, I brought her with me, an hour a night. She retrieves the stray balls for me, and I play fetch with her off and on. Her weight practically fell off from these simple changes!

Good luck to you!
  • tumblyweed
    tumblyweed Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    You made me smile today.

My chihuahua worked with me around children who would constantly feed him. Eventually, he lost his neck and was just a little wobbly sausage. What helped was going to the dog park and to dog beach. He hated it at first. He would hide behind me and growl (heh heh). Eventually, a brave dog would chase him and then gradually, he started chasing other dogs.
  • tumblyweed
    tumblyweed Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I think this might be fairly common. Maybe you could start a group on here for owners and their little pork chops.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I spend a lot of my day gently telling people that their dogs or cats are overweight. This is a surprisingly uncomfortable conversation and many people get pretty defensive, so you have taken a big step :). As with people, the best thing you can do is to find out how much your dog needs to eat and budget calories accordingly. There are multiple places with calorie formulas or you could ask your vet. I like to do calculations based on my estimate of lean body mass. The type of food you feed is based on personal preference, though feeding a complete and balanced diet is essential. There are some decent diet foods that allow your dog to have larger portions with fewer calories, but, like with people, you can also feed controlled amounts of regular food if that works for you. You do have to be very careful with measurements, though, because there is usually not a lot of margin for error between deficit, maintenance and surplus.

I like canned food for overweight pets, because it provides extra water and tends to make animals feel fuller, like eating soup rather than dry cereal. The important thing is to know the calorie content of your dog's food and to portion it out accordingly. If you feed treats or healthy table scraps, you need to budget those calories for your dog, just like for yourself. Adding exercise does help, but I'd go easy on your guy with his injury. Diet, like in people, is most important.
  • Reziel
    Reziel Posts: 8
    Options
    I think Gunnarbear gave the best advice!

I think it's really great that you want your dog to lose weight too! My entire account is inspired by my dog Reziel. He's a Siberian Husky. Of course what I input into my food and exercise log is all about me.

Any whom, I think our dogs would get along. Just saying!

Good luck!
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I'm going to PM something to you. :)