Does Stretching REALLY make a difference?

Options
I don't stretch and I am able to do 2.5 miles in the morning. But recently my legs get so cramped feeling during the run I dont know if it is because of lack of stretching or am I pushing myself for too much?

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    You can reduce your risk of injuries, soreness, fatigue and whatnot by doing appropriate stretching before, during and after.

Cramping included, but it can also be a sign of vitamin/mineral depletion as well.
  • vgpeterson1984
    vgpeterson1984 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I would stretch it will help alleviate some of those issues. Also pop a potassium pill in the morning.

As we get older we need to take better care of ourselves.
  • musicmint
    musicmint Posts: 469
    Options
    I would stretch it will help alleviate some of those issues. Also pop a potassium pill in the morning.

I'm only 21...and I eat bananas everyday ..don't those have potassium?
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Cramps can also be a sign of low sodium.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Stretching is the second most important thing to being fit. The most important is getting proper rest.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I don't stretch before, just walk a little as i hear stretching can lessen your performance. I always stretch after though, makes a big difference to how much i hurt the day after... x
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options

I'm only 21...and I eat bananas everyday ..don't those have potassium?

If you are otherwise healthy, take no medicines and eat a balanced diet including fruit (like bananas) you probably get plenty.
  • jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I don't stretch and I am able to do 2.5 miles in the morning. But recently my legs get so cramped feeling during the run I dont know if it is because of lack of stretching or am I pushing myself for too much?

it's from lack of stretching. that being said you can push an unstretched body to it's limit much faster. stretching also prevents injury and muscle soreness.
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I don't stretch before, just walk a little as i hear stretching can lessen your performance. I always stretch after though, makes a big difference to how much i hurt the day after... x

I do the same, if I don't stretch after my cardio session once I go home and sit down the muscles in my legs start to feel really uncomfortable and tighten up.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    my brother in law was a body builder/fitness buff for about 15 years before deciding to become a personal trainer. during this time my sister, a physical therapist, stressed to him the importance of stretching, but he always felt it was a waste of time. well, when he was studying for his certification, he realized that he had to be doing the things he was going to be telling his clients to do, and so started stretching before/after workouts. you could practically see the light bulb over his head when he got done w/ that first "new" workout and says "there really is something to this stretching thing, huh?" my sister and i could only say "well, yeah, there is. duh." he's now an advocate for stretching religiously before/after workouts.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Stretching totally does make a difference...greater levels of comfort, strength, less apt to get injured...probably more benefits. Try doing a few "sun salutes," a nice flowing comprehensive stretch from yoga. They feel just awesome. I have always used Kathy Smith's yoga series...'cause she is really a good teacher...easy to follow. There's lots of variations on this exercise, so do what is comfortable for you.
  • alikat5544
    alikat5544 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Stretching is important even if you don't work out. Not stretching led me to have a messed up kneecap.
  • musicmint
    musicmint Posts: 469
    Options

it's from lack of stretching. that being said you can push an unstretched body to it's limit much faster. stretching also prevents injury and muscle soreness.

Yeah cause I can really feel like this tightness/soreness/cramp feeling all over my legs when I am running and when I stop running it goes away...so even if I stop it is based on the no stretching??
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options

Yeah cause I can really feel like this tightness/soreness/cramp feeling all over my legs when I am running and when I stop running it goes away...so even if I stop it is based on the no stretching??

Even if it's not because you're not stretching (which i doubt is the case.. you need to stretch it prevents injury along with other things), why not try and see if stretching helps in any way? What's the worse that will happen, get a little more flexible?