what are the non-obvious sources of protein?

Options
emcwilli
emcwilli Posts: 63 Member
I need to up my protein. I've been reaching for the obvious sources. What are the non-obvious ones?

Replies

• pg014
    pg014 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    have you tried soy? (such as edamame, tofu, etc)
  • emcwilli
    emcwilli Posts: 63 Member
    Options

yep! I'm psuedo-vegetarian (pescatarian), so I eat fish, eggs, soy products, nuts...
    one thing I haven't tried is protein powder. any good (tasting) ones out there?
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options

yep! I'm psuedo-vegetarian (pescatarian), so I eat fish, eggs, soy products, nuts...

I'm not sure where you live so I'm not sure if it's available to you but I use Muscle Maxx Vanilla protein powder. It tastes great! I mix it with some water, yogurt and frozen fruits to make my morning smoothie.

I am a vegetarian so I'm using it as a way to get some added protein in these days.

Hummus give protein. Roasted chickpeas are great. Couscous, quinoa and brown rice have protein in them. Milks, cheeses, etc.
  • rachelfaith92
    rachelfaith92 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt!
  • pg014
    pg014 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

I used to use Designer Whey in the vanilla. It tasted like cake batter! I would mix it with 1 cup skim milk, ice cubes and some fat free or low fat vanilla or strawberry yogurt. But do keep in mind that if you are going to be using a protein powder, you need to be working out with it. Too much protein can be hard on your kidneys and your liver!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Several fruits have protein in them.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    This site has a vegan protein powder -- http://www.sunwarrior.com/. It is soy based. The taste is decent, not good. If you e-mail them they will send samples so you don't have to buy a ton and then not like it.
  • ZForce915
    ZForce915 Posts: 23
    Options
    I need to up my protein. I've been reaching for the obvious sources. What are the non-obvious ones?

Swallow?

(I couldn't help myself)
  • casperuk
    casperuk Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Must. Resist. Must. Get. Head. Out. Of. Gutter.

As has been said Greek Yoghurt is a good one.

I rely on just old fashioned chicken. I am boring like that.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    There are many delicious protein powders, BUT it is tough to take recommendations because the ones I HATE are highly recommended from friends, and others that I LOVE are also highly recommended. Individual tastes differ so much it is nearly impossible to tell which is most delicious.

Also, cheese is a decent source of protein. Some breads have a good bit of protein.

And the obvious, beans/legumes. Huge protein/fiber source and OK for vegetarian/pescatarian/vegan and such. :)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    cheese and milk! Greek yogurt. Nature Valley makes a decent, cheap-ish protein granola bar.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options

Swallow?

(I couldn't help myself)

She asked for non-obvious ones! ;)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms are actually quite high in protein for the calories. This is the most 'non-obvious' one I can think of.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    edamame, peanut butter, tuna in a can...

not sure what "obvious" means to you, so it's hard to help, but those are my go-to's beyond chicken breast, pork chops and beef.

I also eat 4 oz of low-sodium deli turkey as a mid morning snack.
  • Wildheart_Baby
    Wildheart_Baby Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    House spiders are a very unusual source I understand *runs away*
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options

This ^^^^^^
    I eat full fat cottage cheese 1 cup everyday it gives me 22 protein. Dinner tonight is 8 oz of ocean scallops it is 40 protein.
    Between both of these I am nearly at my goal protein.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    This site has a vegan protein powder -- http://www.sunwarrior.com/. It is soy based. The taste is decent, not good. If you e-mail them they will send samples so you don't have to buy a ton and then not like it.

sunwarrior is not soy based, they're rice, hemp, cranberry, and pea protein based :)

that said, they're DELICIOUS!

i second greek yogurt and recommend lentils and tempeh.
  • wharkins
    wharkins Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    1 cup of frozen spinach - 6 grams of protein!
  • kitigonkukoo
    kitigonkukoo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I use Syntha-6. I love the chocolate one (tastes like chocolate milkshake, no joke!) and my husband loves the strawberry one (he loves strawberry milk.. not my thing though). They also have a cookies and cream flavor. :)

It's at bodybuilding.com
  • tifmarie9
    tifmarie9 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I like MLO vegetable protein powder (it's vegan also). Tastes good. Sometimes I just use it and bananas and have a really good banana smoothie. :)