Can't catch a full breath when running?

Options
I run outdoors, and am still new to running (well, I can only run at most 2km at a time). I am 249 lbs. Anyways, I can't seem to get a full breath of air. I end up just getting many small ones is annoying because I feel if I could get a full breath of air it would help me running and I wouldn't be panting the whole time.

Any suggestions ?

Replies

• scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Maybe your heart rate is too fast. Unless you are out racing, you should be able to keep a conversation while running. This would also include decent breaths.

If you cannot do this, I would suggest slowing down, and then building up the speed slowly.

Good luck.
  • EternalJourney
    Options
    Maybe your heart rate is too fast. Unless you are out racing, you should be able to keep a conversation while running. This would also include decent breaths.

If you cannot do this, I would suggest slowing down, and then building up the speed slowly.

Good luck.

I guess thats it. Its hard for me to have a conversation when running as I am panting so much. Its hard for me to run so far without stopping but I push myself everyday at it.
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I was the same when I started running I think it's our bodies way of saying 'what the hell are you doing?'

Seriously I would say as you get fitter your breathing I will get easier. What I did (following advise from my GP) was concentrated in slowing down my breathing I still use it now on days when to feels tough. So it was breathe in deeply & slowly so in for count of 6 (I use my steps) hold for 2 & then out for 8 - controlled.

Also run with a straight back & head high & proud - give your lungs Soave to get that fresh air in, it's very easy to slump when you're tired

My mum started running with me 4 months ago I've had her do the same, she's told me she can't but you know she's getting there with it now. Don't just wait til you're running do it at work /watching tv / driving to work just take a few mins out & concentrate on breathing slowly. You will improve.

And well done on the running keep up the great work :-)
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Slow down.
  • Venturin
    Venturin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I was the same way 4 weeks ago when I started trying to run. I kept at it and then one day I did it! I got a good deep breath in. I believe we just have to build our lungs up to it. Keep at it

-V-
  • Jani2416
    Jani2416 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    That happen to me today and it scared the **** out of me. I just started jogging more in the past couple of days. I slowed down to a fast walk for 5 minutes then started again. It helped.