Quinoa Recipes

Options
Hey all, I just brought some quinoa at Earth Fare for the first time, and was wondering how you all cooked it? Like some good recipes? I know I could Google it, but I thought it'd be interesting to hear some of your guys variations! Thanks :smile:

Replies

• brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    You can cook quinoa the same way you would cook rice. I like to just cook ours in some chicken broth. You can also make it like you would do with tabbouleh, which is also yummy.

Another way to eat it, is sweetened a bit (like oatmeal), for breakfast. When we eat it like this, we cook it in some almond milk with honey, vanilla, and cinnamon.
  • katicasi82
    katicasi82 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I made this:

http://www.health.com/health/recipe/0,,10000000521806,00.html

but had quinoa instead of cous cous last week...

yummy
  • irishgirl818
    Options
    I had never thought of using quinoa as an oatmeal substitute. Awesome! I like quinoa and detest oatmeal. I've gotten into barley sweetened with maple syrup or honey. Like that.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I make this with quinoa instead of farro. I eat it at least once a week!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/05/farro-with-feta-cucumbers-and-sun-dried.html#more
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Right this moment I'm eating a bowl of quinoa and lentils with avocado, tomato, one slice of really good bacon and seasonings. Yum. I made the batch of quinoa and lentils in the rice cooker a few days ago and have been spooning it onto green salads, mostly.
  • lisasays
    lisasays Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I had quinoa for dinner tonight! I cooked it in half veggie broth/half water and then added garlic and had it with roasted zucchini, red pepper and onions (roasted with 1 tsp olive oil). Was soooo good.
  • b1t3m3
    b1t3m3 Posts: 47
    Options
    I'm cooking quinoa in the rice cooker right now for tabbouleh salad. I add lemon, tomatoes, avocado and cucumber, and dress it with balsamic. You can also add garlic, but I'm planning on bringing some to work for lunch tomorrow, so I'm skipping on that.
    I love this recipe (http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/baked-quinoa-patties-recipe.html) because it's so easy to keep in the fridge and grab later. It takes SO many eggs though (5). Instead I grate a zucchini, and add it to the mix, and only use 2 eggs.
  • reddingaz
    reddingaz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Made some Quinoa Berry Bites this weekend for a quick breakfast/snack addition

I used strawberries for mine & the recipe actually yielded 16 "muffins" for me when filling the cups 1/2 way
    approximately 30 calories, 5g of carbs (1g fiber) 0g fat & 2g protein in each "bite"

Ingredients:

•1 1/2 Cups Cooked Quinoa
    •Juice of 1/2 Lemon
    •Zest of 1/2 Lemon
    •4 Packets Stevia
    •1 Tbsp Honey
    •1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
    •Dash of Salt
    •5 Egg Whites
    •1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
    •1 Cup Berries (If using strawberries – dice)

Directions:

1.Preheat oven to 350 F.
    2.Spray regular muffin tin with a healthy, non-stick cooking spray.
    3.Place all ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix completely.
    4.Let set for a couple minutes in the bowl.
    5.Using a 1/4 cup as your scoop, scoop mixture into muffin tin filling each cup half way.
    6.Place in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes.
    7.Remove from oven and let cool for a few moments in the muffin tin before gently removing them from the muffin tin and placing them on a cooling rack.
    8.Tip – using a knife to release the muffins from the edge of the muffin tin is the best way to get these out easily.
    9.Enjoy!