Meds causing hunger, help

Options
I was doing great on my weight loss until I had to go back on one of my meds that cause a huge appetite increase for me. One of its side effects? Significant weight gain. Great, just what I needed, right?

I've stalled out on my weight loss and I'm feeling really discouraged. Believe me, I'd rather not take this medication, but I have to for my mental health. So I'm trying to figure out a way to deal with it.

Before I was on this med I ate sensibly and wasn't really hungry, much to my surprise. But since being on this med for a week, I am so hungry it's not funny. And it's 24/7.

Does anyone have any tips on resisting or dealing with a massive appetite? It was so much easier when I just wasn't hungry. I was even struggling to eat enough calories per day. But now I'm struggling to resist eating too much and it's really rough going.

I've been trying protein shakes, but even they aren't helping. An hour later and it's like I haven't eaten anything all day again.

Help!

Replies

• iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken with your dr. about it? there are lots of meds out there and there may be another that will work for you without causing the increase in appetite.

I had the same issue and my Dr. told me "your taking this medication is more important right now than your trying to lose weight".
    So I got another Dr. :)
  • showgirls1980
    Options
    Hey hun, it wouldn't happen to be sertraline would it?? As I am constantly hungry 24/7 also and I never used to be until I started on these! I used to be on citalopram and wasn't too bad with them but needed stonger ones as they weren't working for me any longer.

I'm fighting the hunger but it is really really difficult :( Lets hope it doesn't last for both of us x
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    ketosis from a low carb diet can greatly reduce your appetite, so maybe it would balance out your meds.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Try drinking LOTS of water, eating several smaller meals (like every 3 hours) and filling each meal with tons and tons of fruits and veggies. My IUD did something similar to me for about 8 months until my body adjusted to it - I felt ravenous constantly. I focused on getting lots and lots of protein and fiber -- and less about carbs, because they didn't keep me full feeling long enough.
  • Reziel
    Reziel Posts: 8
    Options
    I know exactly what you're going through!

I've had panic attacks for less than a year now and the medications I'm taking right now make me hungry almost all of the time.

My best suggestion is to drink a lot of water. Believe it or not, most of the time when you feel hungry even after you've already eaten, it's most likely because you're dehydrated therefore you should drink more water as opposed to consuming more food.

Another suggestion, as pointed out by the others, is to speak to your doctor about this. Tell him exactly what you just told us. He knows more than we do and it's always good to get professional answers.
  • reereejandro
    reereejandro Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water, and fill up with a salad before you eat. Put low-cal dressing or a homemade vinegrette (I love Catalina Cal-wise) and cucumbers, spinich, mushrooms and other veggies are practically 0 calories.

EAT A LOT OF THAT SALAD!

Also, you could try the Body By Vi shakes they are really curb the hunger and give u all ur nutrients. Make with Almond milk (30 cals per cup, no sugar)

Fill up with lean proteins! It curbs the appetite. Makes u feel full longer.

Also, oatmeal!
  • SWink06
    SWink06 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice. I already drink a ton of water, but I'll try to drink more. And salads are a great idea. I'll have to stock up on supplies.

I take two medicines, one is Celexa, which isn't too bad. The one that causes problems for me is Abilify. I went off of it for about a month and my appetite changed back to "normal". It was wonderful to not feel hungry all the time and it was so easy to lose weight! Unfortunately, it was more than apparent that I needed to start taking it again. I held off longer than I should have just because I didn't want to gain weight!

There really isn't any alternatives right now, as an antidepressant alone wasn't enough for what I'm dealing at the moment. I'm hoping to eventually be able to go off of it, but that probably won't be until next year.

This being hungry all the time stinks!
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options

I had the same issue and my Dr. told me "your taking this medication is more important right now than your trying to lose weight".
    So I got another Dr. :)

But perhaps it WAS more important.
  • tripletmom2004
    tripletmom2004 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    If you're talking about an anti-depressant/SSRI, there are a million different ones that are supposed to be beneficial. If you're talking about SNRIs (for depression, not so great for anxiety) there are are several that actually decrease your hunger.

I would definitely talk to your doctor about trying a different medication. Surely there are some that you might react better to. :) If not, then eat to satisfy yourself but exercise to compensate.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    ketosis from a low carb diet can greatly reduce your appetite, so maybe it would balance out your meds.

Agree with this. Lower your carbs and up your protein and fat.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    To the op, research online for alternatives. I have noticed a lot of anti depressants cause weight gain, but some can also cause weight loss and a loss of appetite. I think it is just a matter of finding the right one. Even if it is not for depression, there are usually alternatives to try.

Outside of that, up your protein and have plenty of snacks like hard boiled eggs and cottage cheese. maybe some protein shakes, or greek yoghurt with a casein based protein powder mixed in.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I can really relate, as it was definitely mood that has made it hard to do any dieting in the past. I have discovered some helpful things, now I am totally able to handle a diet, mood and appetite!!! Here is what I did:

My husband is an ortho nurse, and has a med book. I NEVER take meds, but slipped into depression once (don't know if that is what your med is for?), and was ready to try anything! The med book listed an herb called St. John's Wort...as effective as a med, but perhaps more so because it is not addictive and has no side effects. Cool! I was all over that, and took it for 6 weeks--I felt fine, and continued to take it another 6 weeks. You can take this herb indefinitely, or at intervals of time when needed. That and fish oil and vit D if your levels are too low.
    Next helpful herb: A natural appetite suppressant, especially good, I have found, for curbing carb cravings. Hoodia herb extract, the brand I use is Source Naturals, and it works great! I use it when I need the support because I'm running errands, or I'm trying to keep my calories lower that day, or whatever...in between meals, etc. Over time, I have found I only need it occasionally. Also non-habit forming.

Next point: make sure you get enough protein in. I have not checked your diary, but if you are eating less that 100g, I would consider this to be probably not enough.

Keep making healthy choices and give yourself some time to stabilize...
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I was on Prednisone all Fall/Winter..and I was STARVING all the time. Literally STARVING! I had to almost sit on my hands to avoid eating, it really sucked.

I don't have any advice other than to hang in there, and hopefully your Dr. will be able to find something other that will work for you better. Good luck :)
  • kaydensmom12
    kaydensmom12 Posts: 338
    Options
    I am only a nursing student, I just finished psych and we learned about Abilify and the other antipsychotics. Unfortunately from what we learned Abilify and Geodon are the two drugs with the lowest risk for weight gain or for metabolic syndrome. Clozapine and Olanzapine have the highest risk. These drugs have the tendency to increase appetite and cause sedation that often leads to high glucose, high cholesterol and significant weight gain.

I am sure that the medication is more important, but make sure you do talk to your dr about it. He may be able to offer you suggestions to help with the side effects. As others have said eat tons of fiber/protein, drink plenty of fluids and keep an eye on your activity level. Best wishes:)
  • SWink06
    SWink06 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Well, the antidepressant I'm taking isn't the problem, unfortunately. Abilify's tagline is when an antidepressant by itself isn't enough. And that's my case right now. I need something IN ADDITION to the antidepressant I'm taking, as an antidepressant isn't enough for me. That's my sticking point.

There's not a lot of other choices out there. And, as was mentioned, it's actually one of the ones with the lowest side effects. The others would be worse. My doctor did try his best to give me something that would be effective and yet would have the lowest chance -- out of the choices -- for weight issues. Just my luck it still affects me greatly.

I'm thinking of seeking out a nutritionist's advice for any tips of dealing with constant hunger. And I'm gonna increase my protein and see if that helps.

Thanks for all the insights!

FYI: Here's what is said about Abilify and weight gain:

Weight gain is a common side effect of Abilify® (aripiprazole). In studies, the exact percentage of people that gained a significant amount of weight varied from study to study, but most studies consistently showed that people taking Abilify were more likely to gain weight than people taking a placebo (a "sugar pill" with no active ingredient).

While a small amount of weight gain is typical during treatment with Abilify, some people can gain very large amounts of weight while taking the drug.

And here's the tips given, although I'm already doing all of these.

If you are noticing small, unexplained weight gain with Abilify, there are some things that you can do. Some of these suggestions include:

Eating a heart-healthy diet. This diet should include heart-healthy foods, such as:

Lots of fruits, vegetables, grains, and fat-free or low-fat milk and milk products
    Lean meats, poultry, fish, beans, eggs, and nuts.

Limiting foods with saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol, sodium (salt), and added sugars.
    Participating in regular physical activity for at least 30 minutes a day on most days of the week.
    Limiting your intake of alcohol.