tendonitis question...

Options
AABru
AABru Posts: 610 Member
The day after lifting, my wrists are sore. The day after running, my ankles are sore. When I say sore, I mean painful to use, not post-workout muscle soreness. I know I have tendonitis in my ankles. My doctor prescribed over the counter naproxen and ice. She said not to rest because the recovery time would be over 6weeks, and rest would mean not exercising (I can't swim well enough to call it exercise). And not exercising was my problem in the first place!
I'm just curious if someone has a different method of dealing with this pain. Some days I almost crawl to the bathroom in the morning my ankles hurt so bad. Weightloss has definately helped-I am within 20 pounds of my goal weight--but as I am having to workout longer to get a similar calorie burn to pre-weightloss, I am having just as much soreness. I was hoping that lifting heavier would help me to increase my caloric burn, but again, I am finding that is aggravating my wrists. I try to alternate days so only part of my body is sore at a time.

Any one else out there with advice or experience?

Replies

• wk9t
    wk9t Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Bump!

I have tendonitis in my elbow and it is very painful when I do bicep curls. I still do them and deal with the pain as best I can with ice and Ibuprofen. Any advice is appreciated. I refuse to stop working out.
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I suffered a wrist injury at work from, not heavy lifting but, putting down heavy things on tables and bending my wrist wrong. I suggest a very thin neoprene brace for both wrists. They don't restrict movement. Rather, they keep the wrist warm and remind you to keep your wrist straight when putting down the weights. My brace plus massage and ice helped heal what was very painful tendonitis.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Well if you have ankle issues then running is a bad choice from the start, go with something lower impact such as rowing machine, x-trainer, stationery bike or swimming.
    Bump!

I have tendonitis in my elbow and it is very painful when I do bicep curls. I still do them and deal with the pain as best I can with ice and Ibuprofen. Any advice is appreciated. I refuse to stop working out.

is this with a dumbell or a barbell?
  • cberridge1987
    Options
    Unfortunately, the best thing to do is rest it and keep it elevated as well as iced. Other than that, you can try physio on the affected areas, it is one of those things that if you don't rest it, it won't really get much better. You're best bet would be to do as the poster above me mentioned, low impact, and if possible stay off it completely and adapt your work out plans around the ankles.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I get it in my wrists sometimes- a few years ago they put me on an anti-inflammatory of some kind that knocked it out. When I started getting it again a month or so ago I just took motrin and wore the brace and took it easy for a few days and it cleared up. Maybe just find some other exercise for one week and see if it helps. Swimming is great- like anything it just takes work to get better.
  • wk9t
    wk9t Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Well if you have ankle issues then running is a bad choice from the start, go with something lower impact such as rowing machine, x-trainer, stationery bike or swimming.
    Bump!

is this with a dumbell or a barbell?

I have pain with both dumbells and barbells. I can lessen the pain with the dumbell by changing the pronation and doing more of a hammer curl than a straight biceps curl.
  • kierstin1976
    kierstin1976 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have it in my wrist and Biofreeze helps. I was stubborn and still worked out and just dealt with the pain. Last Sunday when I was trying to do bicep curls the pain was too unbearable. I finally decided to quit doing bicep exercises for a little while and give it a rest.
  • itsDorian7
    itsDorian7 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If you don't completely rest it and ice it , it may only continue to get worse. I had it in my bicep. What I SHOULD have done was rest and get and MRI to see what was really going on. Instead I continued to train, and finally had a complete rupture of the distal biceps tendon. Surgery, then months of different casts and braces. It was 6 months before I could even think about working out again, and when I finally did I had to start from scratch with that arm.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I am NOT a doctor, but it seems strange that yours would tell you to keep running on ankle tendonitis, since running is so very hard on your joints. I think it might be wise to get an opinion from a doc with a sports medicine specialty and/or get some physical therapy.

When I've had tendonitis before, I've changed my workouts to something that doesn't hurt the affected area so much (I get it in my knees and elbows). For ankles (again, I'm not a doctor), I'd suggest an elliptical machine or bike to lessen the impact on your ankles.

Best of luck!
  • AABru
    Options
    I'm dealing with this myself. The only advice I can offer is to ice your ankles after your workouts. And then apply hot packs before bed. Keep using the Naproxen/Aleve and you might consider getting ankle stabalizers/braces.
    I've been taking alleve morning and night since Feb, Just stopped this past week because I'm afraid of damaging my kidneys.
  • AABru
    Options
    I get it in my wrists sometimes- a few years ago they put me on an anti-inflammatory of some kind that knocked it out. When I started getting it again a month or so ago I just took motrin and wore the brace and took it easy for a few days and it cleared up. Maybe just find some other exercise for one week and see if it helps. Swimming is great- like anything it just takes work to get better.
    I was on an anti-inflammatory in college for tendonitis in my elbow (I threw shot-put and javelin). It made me sick, so this time I refused it, but thanks!
  • AABru
    Options
    I have it in my wrist and Biofreeze helps. I was stubborn and still worked out and just dealt with the pain. Last Sunday when I was trying to do bicep curls the pain was too unbearable. I finally decided to quit doing bicep exercises for a little while and give it a rest.
    All of my lifts are body wieght or mulitple joint exercises (squats, deadlift, etc...). Has your wrist felt better since you stopped curling?
  • AABru
    Options
    I am NOT a doctor, but it seems strange that yours would tell you to keep running on ankle tendonitis, since running is so very hard on your joints. I think it might be wise to get an opinion from a doc with a sports medicine specialty and/or get some physical therapy.

When I've had tendonitis before, I've changed my workouts to something that doesn't hurt the affected area so much (I get it in my knees and elbows). For ankles (again, I'm not a doctor), I'd suggest an elliptical machine or bike to lessen the impact on your ankles.

Best of luck!
    Let me clarify. I have been walking...I run very little because it hurts too much the next day. Dr told me to continue to exercise. She didn't say "you should run." Sorry for not being more clear in my OP. I use the elliptical in the of season, but that is when I started to have pain. Being outside to workout has just made things worse...of course I also stopped taking naproxen twice a day...
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i hate it when i get tendonitis from overuse. i got it in my knee from too much high tension exercise biking. i lowered tension on the bike and took it easy for a few. i did take an advil, but i don't like to depend on those. the doctor offered a round of prednisone, which i declined, but i think that's the treatment for serious tendonitis. it cleared up on its own.

i do a ton of cardio, and sometimes get repetitive stress problems. usually backing off a bit helps, but if it doesn't, see the doctor. you don't want it becoming chronic.

also, i can't stress this enough : make sure you have the right shoes for what you're doing. i was having problems from all of the long distance walking i was doing until i found the perfect pair of running shoes to walk in. the shoes i found are worth their weight in gold as far as i'm concerned.
  • nyteyz82
    nyteyz82 Posts: 43
    Options
    instead of swimming try walking / running in water, not only is it good exercise it will also help to strengthen the tendon in your ankle
  • bananapopsicle1
    bananapopsicle1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a pool? Running in a pool with a flotation belt may be an alternative for you; try it out and see how you feel.:smile:
  • karen8272
    karen8272 Posts: 6
    Options
    Have you been to a chiro? I have found that a few sessions with one works wonders on the my tendons and joints. I was a nonbeliever at one time, but not anymore! Good luck
  • acook454
    acook454 Posts: 1
    Options
    Tendonitis in the ankle is more likely if one is over 40 and overweight. Over-pronation or under-pronation are a major factor for the pain while walking or running.

You have to get the right shoes at any cost! Go to a runner shoe store and have them evaluate your step. After you get a good pair of shoes, buy an orthotic insole. Over the counter is almost as good as custom and a lot cheaper. Try that first.
  • AABru
    Options
    i hate it when i get tendonitis from overuse. i got it in my knee from too much high tension exercise biking. i lowered tension on the bike and took it easy for a few. i did take an advil, but i don't like to depend on those. the doctor offered a round of prednisone, which i declined, but i think that's the treatment for serious tendonitis. it cleared up on its own.

i do a ton of cardio, and sometimes get repetitive stress problems. usually backing off a bit helps, but if it doesn't, see the doctor. you don't want it becoming chronic.

also, i can't stress this enough : make sure you have the right shoes for what you're doing. i was having problems from all of the long distance walking i was doing until i found the perfect pair of running shoes to walk in. the shoes i found are worth their weight in gold as far as i'm concerned.
    I am due for shoes... thanks for the reminder!
  • AABru
    Options
    instead of swimming try walking / running in water, not only is it good exercise it will also help to strengthen the tendon in your ankle
    I hadn't thought of water walking...thanks!