Anyone done a technology 'fast'?

Options
MooMooooo
MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
I'm thinking about giving up TV, iphone and laptop for 24 hours.

Anyone done this - or tried this?

It will be very, very hard for me, I doubt I go longer than an hour without looking at one of these devices, even when I'm napping if my iphone beeps I check the message.

If people are interested in this I might make a group to share experiences and tips.

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    No way.

I'd die.
  • Haylz_ish
    Haylz_ish Posts: 80
    Options
    Easier to give up eating crap food for me :P
  • kimmraderie
    Options
    YES. I do it at least 2x a year. TV, phone, FB (haven't returned since the last fast in Feb), Twitter...

My iPhone has been on mute (no ringer) since January. I answer calls when I get back to my phone. I sleep through the night without disruption.

I've been able to cut TV viewing to about 2 hours a WEEK. Yep, a week.

It's quite liberating and forces you to focus on growth & balance, not dependency on the next whistle, ringtone, buzz.

I highly recommend it.
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I havent done it but it is a great idea. We should all try it.
  • Julz2586
    Julz2586 Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I dont think i would know what to do with myself ... LOL
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    *clutches my computer and my phone with a death grip*

No! You can not have my internets!

As for TV, I haven't paid for that garbage in almost 2 years. Saves my @ss 100plus bucks a month.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I do it regularly. But i'm not attached to my phone, and most days I don't watch tv. The biggest thing im attached to is my computer, but when I go away on weekends I usually don't take it. It'll be good for you ya know. There won't be a constant need to check and see what's going on in the world, just experiencing what's around. Good Luck with it :)
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    As soon as the Olympics start, I shut everything down. Stupid time-delay.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i do this for the most part when i go on vacation. i'll have a cell phone with me but its usually off. little or no tv. etc...
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    As soon as the Olympics start, I shut everything down. Stupid time-delay.

no matter where you are in the world you can watch every event in the olympics live. either on network or cable tv. or online or on your phone.

the future is now!!! :)
  • Perfectlycrooked
    Perfectlycrooked Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Yes. I end up feeling great, you realize that you don't need it to get by and entertain yourself. It's pretty great to remember what the sun looks like. (; ahaha
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options

As for TV, I haven't paid for that garbage in almost 2 years. Saves my @ss 100plus bucks a month.
    This... exactly
  • bewitchinglife
    bewitchinglife Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Even more often I go on news fasts.

I feel better when I don't always have information coming at me from all angles.

Enjoy!
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Did for a week for religious purposes. It was hard, but it was really eye opening. But tv and Internet addict still here!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

This... exactly

Oh, ya... okay, this. I don't watch TV. Haven't in years.
  • INFJ
    INFJ Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Count me in.

How do we share tips if we can't use technology to share it. No but really, that was just a feeble excuse to use the computer.

I wonder if I will start shaking.
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    but then my mpf day count would reset

:O
  • PonyTailedLoser
    PonyTailedLoser Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I am interested in this. I don't watch tv but I do text alot and lurk online far too much.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I've done it before ... it's fine ... but I use the internet for work and stuff so I prefer to have it on. You know, so I can pay rent and stuff :p:)
  • mbaugham
    mbaugham Posts: 70
    Options
    Since I am a single parent, when I come home from work, its my time with my son. We eat dinner, talk, go for walks, and anything else that does not require to put the TV on (unless it is a show that we both want to watch together).

I put my work blackberry away and only look at it right before I go to bed. I really do not watch that much TV and the only time in the evening that I get on the computer is to read emails and update my MFP (and I only try to give myself 30 minutes to do this and its after my son has gone to bed). I sit in front of a computer at my job, the last thing that I want to do in the evening is be on the computer.