Things that keep you busy.

Options
taxidermist15
taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
Hey there guys,

Short story is, im a 21 yr old, who has recently moved from the city, and i mean CITY, where every night, i was out with friends, either clubbing, dancing, or just playing pool at the local pub, I was around friends often, people actually dressed in clothes other than trackie pants and camoflauge, women actually wore high heels...

so because of a new job I've moved halfway across the world (Australia to USA), or a little town in Oregon. by little, i mean LITTLE. This town doesn't have any clubs (no, not even a gentlemens club.. seriously..??), its one pub it has is called "the beaver", which consists of old age men drinking beers and discussing how many animals they have shot ( i know i know, the irony of that and what i do as a job...), plus the fact that i live at least 45 minutes outside of that town, and dont have a car.

so my problem is, I live, breathe, eat , sleep, exercise.. with the same 4 people... and its been the same 4 people for the past 5 months. (3 of those people are over the age of 40...)
well, the boredom of this town is getting to me. i took up exercising, die tt he fact i have hundreds of acres of forest around me. but there is only so much you can do in one day.

so my question is... what are some stuff that you guys have found you can do, to keep your hands and mind busy ?
Ive tried going out however, My only friend is 28 going on 60... whom i live, sleep, eat, work, do everything with.. its just not cutting it for me.

any tips for actually going out by yourself without looking like a looser? meeting new people (i know i know, join clubs they say, it'll be fun they say)....30 bucks for gas to town and back, not plausible to do it every week.

so i need some ideas for hobbies, or something that will keep my mind and hands busy.

help a lonely ol city girl.....

Replies

• Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way sometimes, though I'm not in a tiny town. I keep busy working out 2x/day, photography, and homeowner's duties. Oh, and then there's my constant shopping addiction (online and in person), but that doesn't help you.
  • Jyster
    Jyster Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    *bump*

making moonshine out in the forest?
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    PARTY! I so miss the country because there is so many regulations in subdivisions.

It was 4th of July this week, didn't you have a firework war with your distant neighbor?

-Bondfires, the bigger the better.
    -BBQ Who doesn't like firing up that monster grill
    -Mudding. Buy you and ATV and find the muddiest field there is. The more you have on you at the end of the day, the better
    -Outdoorsy stuff. I love fishing, boating, camping and hiking. Slather on some sunscreen and sit on the lake with the radio and a pole.
    -Build something. or at least make up a project to keep you busy. Make a shed for your bikes and stuff.
    -Shoot guns or a bow and arrow. Who doesn't love stringing up water balloons and shooting at them

You really just need to find people to hang out with. Facebook, Networking, Living Social. Hell, there's probably people here on MFP that live in your town. Bring the party to your house. Make your garage a party house.

Please drink responsibly.
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    some of that sounds fun, but again, its the people factor. I don't know anyone here, and i cant just go and sit in a bar by myself, how the hell do you meet people when your in a new town? especially a country town? im so far out we dont even have a post or garbage truck.. *sigh*.