Replies

• Bethee101
    Bethee101 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I would love to do cross fit but it is just too expensive for me :/
  • konamouse
    konamouse Posts: 21
    Options
    Yes, it can be expensive to join a local Affiliate. But to me it has been worth it - you're getting a personal trainer every time you work out (if I'm going 4 x week = $10 per training session).

Yes, you can do this in your own garage or at a globogym (unless they frown on some of the movements or don't have bumper plates for their barbells - each gym has it's own rules). However, would HIGHLY recommend taking at least the "on-ramp" or "elements" or whatever your local affiliate calls the "beginner intro" sessions to learn the proper movements, and what it feels like to really push yourself. Then you can read through all the stuff on the main site (www.crossfit.com) and watch all the demo vids. Start slow/low and work up. No one starts at "prescribed" (aka "Rx"). Every exercise/movement can be scaled to all fitness levels.

Our box often runs "intro" specials on Living Social. Onramp (4 weeks, 10 sessions plus rest of the fourth week regular CF classes) for just $125 (sometimes less).
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is dangerous AND deadly!

I'll stick to family water aerobics at the YMCA and keep my life!
  • konamouse
    Options

That's an interesting accusation. Deadly??
  • davidelawrence
    Options
    I just joined my local Crossfit gym too, and I am loving it! What makes it special for me are the intensity of the workout and the great community feel.

Alas, using a heart monitor to measure calorie burn during Crossfit may not be that accurate. The heart rate to calorie calculation is typically calibrated to large muscle workouts (i.e. leg muscles, running, walking etc.). Most Crossfit workouts hit legs pretty hard, so during those portions it is probably fairly accurate. When you are doing things like pullups or situps, however, your heart will be racing but your body will be burning fewer calories.

I'm certainly no expert -- I recently did a quick Google search about using heart rate monitors while weight training.

-David
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    i would join xfit gym if a home equity line of credit wasn't required to fund it...
    Truth. BodyRock.tv has some good crossfit inspired workouts. I will have some of the equipment on my Xmas wish list.
  • jagwab
    jagwab Posts: 93
    Options

And how pray tell did you come to this decision?
    I'm still alive and do crossfit and have had no injuries
  • Knoxvilla5
    Knoxvilla5 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't know about that "deadly" bit--unless you just jump into a reverse pushup weighing too much and pushing too little. Then, I imagine, you may find it deadly.

But I'd totally be down if that equity wasn't required! Crossfit, MMA, Insanity--bring it ALL on!

Do it, sister!
  • iluvmyortiz1122
    iluvmyortiz1122 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love cross fit! Hubby's been doing it for years, and now that we're in a break from having babies I'm doing it too. It's done WONDERS for me. In the past month-6 weeks? I'm down 10#'s and 15"! My hard work has totally paid off.
  • pkdscript
    pkdscript Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I LOVE CROSSFIT!!!
  • pkdscript
    pkdscript Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I searched the "Exercise" tab and found "aerobic, high impact" and put in 45 minutes and it burned 436 calories. I don't know if that is a true amount of calories burned. I will ask our coach tonight if she thinks that is realistic.
  • konamouse
    Options
    Only thing I hate is blisters and tears on my hands from the pull-up bar, and the rope burns on my leg from the climbs (did 11 of them last night). What I love is seeing ab muscles!