Eating what you want and losing weight

Options

Replies

• rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    Totally true, you can lose weight with any type of food as long as you have a caloric deficit. But, weight is not the only aspect of health.
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    Every morning I wake up and I smoke a cigarette. And for breakfast I eat five strips of bacon. And for lunch a bacon sandwich. And for a mid day snack...BACON. A WHOLE DAMN PLATE. and I usually drink my dinner. Now according to all those flat belly experts, I shoulda took a dirt nap 30 years ago! Just goes to show ya.

Will you marry me?

Lmao
  • i_am_losing_it
    i_am_losing_it Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    What I say: "I've lost weight eating cookies, ice cream and fast food."

What I mean: "Over the last 6 months I've lost weight incorporating cookies, ice cream and fast food into an otherwise nutrient rich and balanced diet."

How is this hard to understand?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    If I did not allow for the normal foods in my diet, yes, even junk food, I would last about a week or less. My husband, friends, relatives, children and I can all eat the same stuff, I am not excluded or feeling deprived. I just track it and eat in moderation, it does make me choose healthier foods just so I can account for something higher in calorie at another time.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I think I'll stay away from junk food, my aim here is to lose the weight and get healthy and that I can only get eating healthy foods. I will have an DQ ice cream cone or a piece of pastry sometimes but the idea is to get healthy. If I had these things on a regular basis I eventually will start another yoyo diet. NOT this time! I'll do it this way. Junk food makes you want more junk food!
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Cutting calories alone doesn't work for me, don't care about what the math says (and I am an engineer!!!!!)

Luckily, I eat fairly healthy most of the time, and even more now, and I don't like fast food. The missing piece for me was the exercise and I seem to have that down now.

I do have a piece of chocolate everyday, my down fall, but other than that I try to eat as clean as possible most of the time.

I personally think you are kidding yourself, but to each their own....
  • MaverickUK2K
    Options
    I think I'll stay away from junk food, my aim here is to lose the weight and get healthy and that I can only get eating healthy foods. I will have an DQ ice cream cone or a piece of pastry sometimes but the idea is to get healthy. If I had these things on a regular basis I eventually will start another yoyo diet. NOT this time! I'll do it this way. Junk food makes you want more junk food!

But if you're eating the stuff you love, albeit not as much as you'd like, why would you give up and yo-yo diet? You have more chance of doing so if you completely eliminate 'junk' food from your diet.
  • MaverickUK2K
    Options

In what respect?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty damn healthy.

I eat "bad" things on a daily basis.
  • nhga47
    nhga47 Posts: 118
    Options
    ;
  • nhga47
    nhga47 Posts: 118
    Options
    This is funny. I have been formulating thoughts around explaining the addictive nature of junk food, and how my 4 year journey has finally gotten me to a place where I no longer desire it at all, in fact, quite the opposite; I am repulsed by most of it, and completely indifferent to the rest. I crave natural wholesome food now and make those choices every time when offered either or. But, it takes some explaining. This little Preamble doesn't really do it justice.

"Like:"
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I agree that anything can be had within moderation. I actually can not stand those dieters who strive for a "perfect" meal plan because i find - that is all they are about. That is all those people want to talk about, and they are obsessed over it.

Though, I have found my cravings for "not so healthy" food has decreased in only 3 weeks! I loved sweet and sour chicken balls from any chinese food place. The other day, i thought "i havnt had chinese for a while"...and then i thought of the chicken balls....and then i almost gagged at the thought of it!

I am proud of you that you found something that works for your lifestyle!
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    Bump
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options

In what respect?

the title of your thread. Like i said, it hasnt worked for me in the past, so i am of course basing my opinion on my own experience. Maybe some people can, maybe you are one of those lucky ones ... I am not so lucky, so i have to lose weight the hard (and healthy) way

Read some of the success stories, all the ones i have read include changing you eating habits and eating better
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Options
    Every morning I wake up and I smoke a cigarette. And for breakfast I eat five strips of bacon. And for lunch a bacon sandwich. And for a mid day snack...BACON. A WHOLE DAMN PLATE. and I usually drink my dinner. Now according to all those flat belly experts, I shoulda took a dirt nap 30 years ago! Just goes to show ya.

I'm in love with the fact that you apparently love bacon as much as I do!
  • Sntimentildy
    Sntimentildy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Chevy88grl,

I agree with you. Four years ago I did weight watchers and lost 30 lbs (now mind you I only had a starting weight of 186 so I didn't want to go any lower then that since I am 5'7" and have size 11 feet and big you knows:blushing: ...lol....I followed the diet journal and ate anything I wanted but in moderation. My problem was when I stopped keeping track. People wouldn't believe what they ate if they all tracked what went in their mouths. It's not so much the type of food as it is the quantity of food. People at weight watchers asked me how I did it and I told them, if I want a piece of chocolate cake I just have it but just smaller then I would normally eat. It works for me so far since 20 days starting this I have lost 6 lbs. But I lost 5 lbs before starting here just by watching the quantity of food I was eating. I have 20 lbs more and then I will try and maintain it. :flowerforyou:
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I still drink soda, eat sweets, and have tasty pasta...and I'm losing weight. Love it! :drinker:
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Grumpy Old Men?
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    This is true. I havent cut out all junk food in my diet and I'm still losing weight. If I cut it all out I don't think I would stick to it for long.
    I still eat rice and bread but its brown. I still eat pasta but in moderation. I still have potato chips but not every day. I still have chocolate!

I like to be in control of my macros too, not just calories. It's just the way I like to do it.. everyone is different.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Cutting calories alone doesn't work for me, don't care about what the math says (and I am an engineer!!!!!)

Luckily, I eat fairly healthy most of the time, and even more now, and I don't like fast food. The missing piece for me was the exercise and I seem to have that down now.

I do have a piece of chocolate everyday, my down fall, but other than that I try to eat as clean as possible most of the time.

I think his statement was accurate if you exclude people with specific dietary related medical conditions.
  • JMeka
    JMeka Posts: 26
    Options
    I've read countless amounts of crap from people on this forum that just doesn't make sense, for example in order to lose weight you need to eat wholesome foods and NO junk food, to lose weight. But the truth is, you can eat what you want and lose weight - no, it's not ideal, you obviously need X amount of vitamins, protein etc, however anyone can lose weight eating what they want, as long as it's within their calorie allowance.

There is an interesting read on the link below, a scientist eats nothing but Twinkies and junk food for two months and, would you believe it, lost weight. He took tablets for his vitamins and what not, but it just goes to show that these "only eat wholesome to lose weight" preachers are people who fell off a bandwagon somewhere along the way.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Moral of the story? You CAN eat junk food (although it should be in moderation IMO) and lose weight - please do not listen to these ney sayers who claim eating junk food will result in not losing weight.

You can lose weight eating anything. But to stay healthy and live long you need to eat right. You can't eat twinkies 3Xday for life and expect that you'll live to be an active 80.

The crappy food catches up to you with high cholesterol, diabetes and heart attacks. These problems have been falsely attributed to obesity as the only cause. The truth is, a crappy lifestyle causes the problem.

Totally agree...... Longevity is my key goal