Me...a gym rat? Really?!

Options
So, I'm 43 years old and have never really thought of myself as the kind of girl who becomes a "gym rat". Sure, I joined health clubs over the years, and went 1-2x/week for a few weeks/months, and then grew bored of it, for one reason or another. So, I decided 4 years ago to buy myself an exercise bike, one of the recumbent ones, and I put it in front of the TV because I was convinced that I would use it if it were there and I could watch my soap operas after a long day of work (don't judge!). And I have to admit, I used it. Probably 3-4x/week and lost 20 pounds, over the course of 6 months. I was so proud of myself.

The problem was, after I lost the 20 pounds, I figured I didn't need to use the bike anymore, so away it went, banished to the back room. I used it occasionally, here and there, for the next few years, but never really took getting in shape seriously, even though I had gained back 10 of those 20 pounds.

That all changed in February of this year. A gym opened up in my neighborhood, offering monthly memberships for $10! $10!!! How could I say "No!" to that? I couldn't. So, I joined. And I convinced my husband to join as well. My thought process was that the gym was on my way home from work (literally about 4 blocks) and I would feel guilty if I just drove by it every day. And, it was $10/month!!! So, it started.

It's been 5 months now, and not only do I still go to THAT gym, but I also joined ANOTHER gym, also on my way home, that my best friend is a member of, and frequent THAT gym 3x/week as well. I have become a total gym rat! LOL My friend's boyfriend is a personal trainer and I have learned so much from her/him that my workouts have really progressed and I am seeing results that I had never seen before, using my exercise bike and doing some light weights at home. I am lifting heavy, learning proper form (very important!) and really pushing myself and I am totally seeing a difference in my body composition! And I LOVE it!!!! I feel like a slug on rest days. I hate them, but I know they are necessary! LOL I want to work out all the time!!

So, yea...never thought, that at age 43, I (me!?) would be a total gym rat. But, I am. And I am proud. Just wanted to share my story.

Replies

• Holmfridur_Gestsdottir
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. I was a couch potato par excellence until 3 years ago (at 36 yo). Then decided that this was it, after I was out of breath just from running to the nearest house in the street chasing my 3yo daughter. Here I am 3 years older, and I just found out that I have gotten stronger than my husband (the couch potato). Didn't even think that that would ever happen. I mean, I can now carry him around the apartment for a change. How cool is that?? This happens to be a rest day, can't wait for tomorrow :D
  • tammilk
    tammilk Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You're a big inspiration Michele!!
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    You're a big inspiration Michele!!

Thank you, Tammi!!!! I miss you, btw.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    While you are a gym rat now, I don't count "Planet Fitness" a place where real gym rats should hang out. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Lunk Alarm!!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lilmisfit
    Options
    While you are a gym rat now, I don't count "Planet Fitness" a place where real gym rats should hang out. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Lunk Alarm!!!

IDEA Fitness member

Where did you see anything in my post about Planet Fitness?? I don't work out there. I go to Charter Fitness, because it's by my house, and Quads Gym, because it rocks!!!!

Who are you to call "lunk alarm"? Do your research before judging, sweetie. Quads has over 40,000 sq. ft. of equipment and some of the biggest bodybuilders in the business work out there, so no "lunks" (whatever that means) to be found there.

Seriously, could you be more of a *****? I thought this was a place where like minded fitness people gathered.
  • lilmisfit
    Options
    As a disclaimer, I just want to say, that I have never been to a Planet Fitness club, but I would never in a million years cut someone down for going there.
  • lilmisfit
    Options
    I don't know why that guy is being such an *kitten*, but I've put him on ignore, so I'm not subjected to his bullish!t. I hope others will share their stories as well, regardless. :happy:
  • Missi3601
    Missi3601 Posts: 264
    Options
    Well for the record- I go to a Planet Fitness- and I love it :)
  • Missi3601
    Missi3601 Posts: 264
    Options
    and admire your story :)
  • lilmisfit
    Options

And you are doing great!!!
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I am younger but I am becoming a work out fanatic. When I'm bored, I want to go to the gym. Like you, rest days are awful and I feel lazy. Who would have thought? I was a total slug before and now I am trying to figure out how I am going to work out while I am on vacation with no gym around!
  • DarlingThief
    DarlingThief Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Lunk Alarm!!!

IDEA Fitness member

Where did you see anything in my post about Planet Fitness?? I don't work out there. I go to Charter Fitness, because it's by my house, and Quads Gym, because it rocks!!!!

Who are you to call "lunk alarm"? Do your research before judging, sweetie. Quads has over 40,000 sq. ft. of equipment and some of the biggest bodybuilders in the business work out there, so no "lunks" (whatever that means) to be found there.

Seriously, could you be more of a *****? I thought this was a place where like minded fitness people gathered.
    PF is a gym that is promoted in the show Biggest Loser. It's$10/mo and have a lot of locations. "Lunk Alarm" was not an insult, its a device that PF uses against bodybuilders. If you drop weights, grunt loudly, etc, this alarm goes off (seriously, look it up on you tube). There's a great Daily Show segment about it.
    [snark] Time for you to do your research before judging [\snark]
  • nakiarhall
    nakiarhall Posts: 51 Member
    Options
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Lunk Alarm!!!

IDEA Fitness member

PF is a gym that is promoted in the show Biggest Loser. It's$10/mo and have a lot of locations. "Lunk Alarm" was not an insult, its a device that PF uses against bodybuilders. If you drop weights, grunt loudly, etc, this alarm goes off (seriously, look it up on you tube). There's a great Daily Show segment about it.
    Lol, some people take the internet so seriously! Oh well, can't win em all.

IDEA Fitness member
  • lilmisfit
    Options
    Lunk Alarm!!!

IDEA Fitness member

Yea, smart *kitten*. I DID my research:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Lunk Alarm

Sounds like an insult to me. Would YOU take it as a compliment?
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I don't see why the drama. I guess that some people feel that they and they alone have the answer.

The older you get the more you will need to workout. You are doing the right thing. I am spinning two hours a week (this is really not enough) and using weights two hours a week. I am 61 and have never looked more toned.
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    Children, please, play nice!

Congratulations on becoming a gym rat :) You must feel amazing!

Do you ever walk past sports shop and stare with the same intense expression you used to for a bakery (or shoes!)?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Lunk Alarm!!!

IDEA Fitness member

Yea, smart *kitten*. I DID my research:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Lunk Alarm

Sounds like an insult to me. Would YOU take it as a compliment?
    You don't get the joke then. "REAL gym rats" are JUDGED at Planet Fitness. If you are a "hardcore" workout person or bodybuilder, they make fun of it. Just watch the commercials on youtube, especially the one of the bodybuilder female. That's why I stated that Planet Fitness isn't a where a real gym rat would hang out.
    And forgive me if I assumed it was Planet Fitness because until your reply, I haven't seen any other commercial gym have a $10 monthly fee.

IDEA Fitness member
  • deads99
    deads99 Posts: 77
    Options
    check lilmisfit for roids

what a spaz lol
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Do you ever walk past sports shop and stare with the same intense expression you used to for a bakery (or shoes!)?

YES! I've also started spending too much money on trainers for different uses.

Actually don't know what clicked this time as opposed to the previous 3 gyms I've joined. This time, I just wanna work out all the freakin' time and I've even just bought GPS for my HRM so I can go play outside - and I have been, despite this being a typical British summer!

Snapping into total gym-bunny mode is Entirely Awesome! Even if I'm now getting into deleterious competitions with my boyfriend which are clearly not going to end well! :D