Too much protein?? Help!

Options
I have been working on my eating habits and i have noticed that every day i seem to go over my protein intake by a lot but struggle with enough calories. I dislike most vegetables which seems to be my biggest problem but i keep reading that protein keeps you full longer so i am kind of confused. I have lost about 10 lbs in the last 3 1/2 weeks so it is not making me gain anything. It is just frustrating because it seems like in order to stay full longer i only eat protein filled things and it doesnt even seem like i eat to much protein in my mind....any suggestions would be great!

Replies

• oceanbigwater
    Options
    perhaps mix it up with a small helping of cheese, it has some protein but it also has some fat but very little carbs...drink as much water as you can and fat is not the enemy carbs and refined sugars are so protein unless its absolutely out of control is a good thing
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I average well over 100 grams of protein on most days. I consider MFP's protein suggestion a minimum. That said: try to keep your eating as balanced as possible. Try to learn which vegetables you DO like. Cheers!
  • Diazwifey2010
    Options
    Yea i am averaging close to 100 grams of protein daily. I appreciate the suggestions and will keep working on it even if it is substituting a greek yogurt serving for some raw veggies or something.
  • michaelispas
    michaelispas Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Protein keeps you full longer due to feeding your muscles and repairing it. But keep in mind you need to have balanced meals and snacks. What are your ratios for protein, carbs, and fat? If you're going over on protein, that's fine, but you need to keep in mind how much carbs and fat you're eating too. I eat about 150g protein each day to lose body fat but I eat 100g of carbs and 40g of fat each day and try to balance them for each meal/snack I eat throughout the day and I exercise with a program at home.

How often are you eating? The ideal way is 2.5 to 3 hours each meal and snack to keep your metabolism going and prevent your body from producing so much enzymes to break down large meals. Feel free to add me so you can check out my diary. I eat a protein-based nutrition guideline to lose weight each day and I've lost 75 pounds thus far. Let me know if I can be more of help.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about over consuming protein if you are under around 2.5- 3g per pound of body weight. Strive for 1 pound per pound of body weight.

And try different preparations for the veggies. Try roasting or raw, just keep trying until you find some you like!
  • dianalarana
    Options
    I have the same problem i eat about 5 protein bars at day but im trying to add more water and more veggies let me know or add me so we can share if u find something to make u feel full
  • dianalarana
    Options
    Hi my name is diana i really want to know about your diet is anyway u can share that?
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about over consuming protein if you are under around 2.5- 3g per pound of body weight. Strive for 1 pound per pound of body weight.

Oh my God don't do that! One pound per pound of bodyweight! 150 lbs of protein a day! lol

0.6 - 0.8 GRAMS per pound of body weight!

Ie for a 150lb person you need 90gms - 120gms
  • cinasana
    cinasana Posts: 40
    Options
    You should be eating 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass. I'm 126 pounds, and eat MINIMUM 126grams of protein per day :-)

Jenny
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I changed my MFP settings to purposely get more protein, more fat and less carbs than MFP recommends. The last thing I want is muscle wasting while I'm trying to lose weight, and all research points to increasing protein and weight training in your exercise program to maintain your muscles while dieting.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem i eat about 5 protein bars at day

Why?
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    You should be eating 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass. I'm 126 pounds, and eat MINIMUM 126grams of protein per day :-)

Jenny

That's right ONLY if you have 0% body fat Jenny!

1g of protein per lb of lean body mass is a good guide but not easy to calculate if you're unsure of your body fat percentage

Recommended is 0.6 - 0.8g of protein per lb of TOTAL body weight