Healthy but quick breakfast/brunch ideas

Options
Hi all,
I am starting to find that about 10:00 in the morning I am getting really hungry. I have never been a breakfast eater but would like to be able to have something healthy in the morning to abate my hunger until lunch time.
Please can anyone give me any ideas or recipes, other than fruit, for something health I can take to lunch and have about this time. (i.e. muffins, falp jack,) I can't really bring in a bowl of cereal. :-)
Please be aware that I am in the UK so if there are recipes please can you keep the ingredients to the basic ingredients, a lot of recipes I have seen on here call for 'muffin mix' or some such thing that I can't get.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Nicho

Replies

• honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Is it really that bad to be hungry when you eat your lunch?
  • paulipet
    paulipet Posts: 70
    Options
    Nature Valley bars or a Muller Rice.
  • amazon75
    amazon75 Posts: 165
    Options
    Don't know if you can get it or not but I keep instant oatmeal in my drawer at work. Nuts are a good snack as well.
  • CSU2012
    CSU2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It takes under five minutes to scramble some eggs and spinach together. If you have cheddar cheese and onions on hand, throw that in too. Having a high protein breakfast might keep your stomach from growling before noon. I hope this helps
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I have a mid morning snack evey day at work, I cant cope without it!
    Some of my favourites are
    peanuts and dried fruit / chilli nuts (the ones from aldi are very tasty and have no sodium - bonus!)
    snack-a-jacks
    fruit / tomatoes
    cut veggies and hummous

You could always look for some banana/blueberry muffin recipes using oats and applesauce and make a batch on a weekend too :-)
  • CSU2012
    CSU2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Another source of protein are nuts, as amazon75 mentioned. If you eat eggs for breakfast, and you still find yourself getting hungry before lunch, have nuts to fill in the gap. Keep some nuts in your drawer for a quick protein fix any time of day.
  • lkcuts
    lkcuts Posts: 224
    Options
    I am a cosmetologists and sometimes the day gets so busy i have to eat on the run. I bring things that I am able to munch on standing while I am mixing color etc. I don't know if you can get them, but I go to the fish section at my grocery and buy immitation
    crab sticks and pack a couple along with cocktail sauce for dipping. they are very low in cals and the texture is wonderful. That or nuts,green pepper slices, celery or cucumber slices. before I go to work I will boil a couple eggs put them in baggies that I can eat on the run. I know there is a lot of sodium so I use 1/2 teaspoon of Wylers instant chicken boullion in hot water also. they seem to keep me from getting the hungries.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    It's quite common here to prepare a sandwich and bring to work. Just a slice of healthy bread - whole grain - a slice of cheese or ham, a couple of slices of cucumber or tomato, cut in half, fold, wrap in wax paper and keep for when the craving hits at 10 am. If you make a habit of it, get a nice, efficient lunch-box and save the environment from the waste of the wax paper, as well ;-)
  • shyeban
    shyeban Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Do you like cottage cheese? I find a small portion of cottage cheese (I mix various things in) as a great filling snack to put me on.
  • romabennett
    Options
    What about the good old fashioned boiled egg. It comes in its own packaging, is filling and full of goodness. I sometimes boil a few and leave them in the fridge for a good protein snack.
  • julialla
    julialla Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I always love whole wheat bread with peanut butter (or jelly) or Yogurt. Easy and quick to throw together in a morning's rush.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Since I'm not a big breakfast person, I bring a protein shake (I generally bring an Adkins premade one) to have when I first get to work then around 9 (I get to work at 7 and eat lunch at 11) I'll have some fruit and a serving of almonds (I keep a can on my desk) to keep the munchies away