Water Bottles

Options
Im looking for a water bottle that doesn't leave a plastic taste in the water. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Replies

• jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Sorry - no suggestion here, but I sure hope that someone has one... I HATE the taste of water in plastic!! Even Nalgene leaves a plastic taste in my mouth. Yuck!

I think that we're going to have to buy an aluminum H2O bottle.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    This has always worked for me in removing the plastic taste from a water bottle. Add a couple of tablespoons of baking soda, fill with water and add lemon juice or cut of lemon slices and shake up. Then, let it sit for a while (20 -30 mins) then wash and rinse. Plastic taste and smell should be gone. I have also heard other people say vinegar and water, but I've never tried it. Good luck!
  • Raeken_Zayt
    Raeken_Zayt Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Most stand up water machines you buy recommend vinegar rinse, I would try that.

I just re-use Diet Pepsi bottles until they get to the point where washing them out still leaves a color tinge (Crystal Light) and then start with a new one.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

I just re-use Diet Pepsi bottles until they get to the point where washing them out still leaves a color tinge (Crystal Light) and then start with a new one.

That's not really good for you. Those bottles have some rather nasty chemicals in them, and from what I understand, reuse can make them break down into whatever you're drinking out of them. Hope I'm wrong on this, but you might want to check it out!
  • chaNyn613
    chaNyn613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I use the MIO drops in my water bottles. It covers the taste of stale water, warm water and tap water. You determine how many drops you add. I just want enough flavor to cover taste but not enough to taste like Kool-Aid.
  • Perixi
    Perixi Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I got one of the bobble bottles and there was no taste at all. :)
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options

That's not really good for you. Those bottles have some rather nasty chemicals in them, and from what I understand, reuse can make them break down into whatever you're drinking out of them. Hope I'm wrong on this, but you might want to check it out!

Nope, you are correct. Those types of water bottles are meant for one use only. Even sports type water bottles- the one I think the op is talking about are not supposed to be used long term b/c of the chemicals especially if they are placed in the dishwasher.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Brita Water bottle.

It has a filter so it tastes like bottled water without the crazy price.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    brita bottles are awful.

How about Sigg? They are metal. No plastic taste.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    While at work, I use a metal water bottle. While working out, outdoors, I use a CamelBak. I haven't used a plastic water bottle in months.
  • marie_1565
    marie_1565 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yea metal water bottles are definitely better. If you don't want to spend much you can get them at costco for fairly cheap.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I have one of the Brita water filter bottles, and it seems to work pretty well. They are like $8.99 for the bottle which comes with one filter - I got mine on sale at true value for like $5..... they're good for like 250 'refills'. The filters come in two packs for like $8.99.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Look for a double-walled stainless steel water bottle. They're a little pricier, but there's no plastic taste, and they'll keep your water cold much longer. Plus, the double wall means they won't sweat all over the place. There are several on the market, but I've heard awesome things about this one:

http://shop.flylady.net/pages/FlyShop_swbboth.asp

I'm pretty sure that Kleen Kanteen makes a double-walled one also. The only reason I don't have one myself is because I accidentally bought the single-walled one.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    brita bottles are awful.

How about Sigg? They are metal. No plastic taste.

Sigg bottles are awesome. I have one at work and one at home. No plastic or metal taste. :drinker:
  • jennt_22
    jennt_22 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I both have CamelBak 750ml water bottles and I haven't noticed any sort of plastic taste when using them!
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Try a stainless steel bottle, no taste at all. Aluminum bottles can impart a nasty taste into your water. I have sub-zero that works great for me.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Walgreens has a great selection of Sub Zero bottles that are wonderful. * Dont dish wash them or all the paint will start to peel*
  • mellabyte
    mellabyte Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have several bottles depending on use, but I mostly use the stainless steel ones.

The only plastic I use is your standard 32oz nalgene that I take to my kung fu classes. (http://nalgene.com/) I don't notice any plastic taste.

When I'm at the gym, I use a stainless steel pinch+bite camelbak bottle. (http://camelbak.com/) Also love their packs for cycling + hikes/trekking.

When I'm hiking or need my drink to stay cold (or hot), I use a alfi isoSportbottle - these are double-walled stainless steel. I've had water with ice stay ice cold for 48hrs in one of those things. o_o (http://www.alficarafes.com/) I just wish they were bigger.
  • Journey_2_tri
    Journey_2_tri Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, I use a bottle (found at Target) and great for the gym or work. I have not noticed that yucky plastic taste and is BPA free.
    http://www.target.com/p/contigo-autospout-bottle-purple/-/A-13558282
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I use a Contigo bottle and have never noticed a plastic taste. They make several different models, including some stainless steel ones. http://www.gocontigo.com/water-bottles.html

I have the Madison Auto-Seal bottle - holds 24oz, fits in my cupholders, doesn't spill or leak, and goes in the dishwasher! The stainless one holds 20 oz and is vacuum sealed, says it keeps cold drinks cold for 20 hours - also dishwasher safe. Hmmm...I may need to invest in a stainless model! :tongue: